THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHATS YOUR FAVORITE CHARCOAL?

• KINGSFORD

Votes: 48 31.8%
  • ROYAL OAK

Votes: 31 20.5%
  • LUMP

Votes: 49 32.5%
  • OFF BRAND/OTHER

Votes: 23 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do like Kinsford, and I like lump for grilling steaks, but my wallet took a beating over the last few years, and I found that Kroger's store brand, at two bags for five bucks, served me quite well.

Oh God, I hope that stuff wasn't made in China, because if it was, I probably gave myself cancer, again.

One thing I did learn is that going back and forth between something like Kingsford Competition and Kroger charcoal is not a good idea. They don't burn the same, and you will drive yourself nuts.

CD

Royal Oak lump is readily available here and has never let down. Problem with Canada is the lack of availability, or availability at a price!

I must have used hundreds of pounds of Kingsford in my life but nowadays I'm not comfortable with the coal and other junk in it. I've used a lot of lump too but I don't like the really big chunks that often come in the bags nor the very small fine junk at the bottom of the bags so nowadays I like the all natural briquettes that have become so common. I usually get Lazzari from Bevmo or Rancher from OSH or the all natural charcoal from Trader joes.

Wicked Good Lump for me as well!!! But I did stock up on the Kingsford Competition at HD due tot he clearance price. I don't mind it for home cooks. But definately Wicked Good for competition!!!

check out nakedwhiz.com they tested and rated all brands of lump charcoal good data base of information

I just tried Royal Oak lump this year. I really like it and was impressed with how big the pieces were.

Lately I have been using the Sams charcoal that I can get at Wallyworld for 6.50 for two 15lb bags. (I use mostly that with a little lump mixed in. Works great for a great price.

I voted Kingsford because I use their Competition briqs mixed 50/50 with whatever lump charcoal I can find locally which has been Kroger brand lump for my last five cooks.

Using just lump seems to burn a lot hotter and faster than the mix but the results from using the mix have been very good so I'll stick with what works for me and my beloved UDS.

Ozark Oak Lump for me. I'm lucky enough to live about 2 hours drive from the plant. It costs me $4.97 for a 10 lb bag at the local stores, and it is really good stuff.

I use Ozark as well and was pleasantly surprised when I tried it the first time. I guess it doesn't get more cred because it's not available nationally but I find it to be really good for the money.

I voted for RO, but actually I've bought RO lump and RO briquettes. I think that RO is a more natural charcoal than K.

That said.......I usually buy K. Blue K. It's the best for the $, IMHO.
I currently have a stack of K Comp Briq's still from the HD sale where I bought out the store.:becky:

I'm a sale shopper. I'll deal with the ash for the $ I save.

I kind of got crazy with the K blue last year with some coupons I had for Lowes, so I've still got a few bags left. I've been using it in the kettle and for short wsm cooks, but I prefer Stubbs for overnighters. As to lump, I love grilling with it... any except the kind made by the same company that distributes my Stubbs, that is. :confused:

Back