What's your favorite backyard brisket recipe

I’ll note I’ve been practicing with Myron’s injection recipe and it may become my go to for backyard as well. Doesn’t taste synthetic like others since it’s just beef base and ah jus

If I inject brisket, that is my go to....agreed on the synthetic aspect.

Made my best one ever yesterday. Mortons kosher salt, Costco coarse ground pepper, oak smoke. No injection. No spritz. Sliced the flat. Cubed the point. Dipped it in its own drippings I caught.

Trim all fat except 1/4 inch on top, light Lawry's SS followed by Bovine Bold and some extra black pepper. Some time wrap, sometimes not. If I do wrap, save au jus for after slicing.

Still most important technique is a long rest. Usually pull when finished, light wrap and place in cooler for an hour or so - once went 8 hours with no issues.

50/50 Kosher salt & coarse ground black pepper, nothing else. Smoke with a couple oak chunks in the charcoal until you get good color on the meat and the crust starts to set. Wrap in USDA approved pink butcher paper until probe tender, ballpark temp around 200 - 209*. Pull from the smoker and open the butcher paper for about 10 min to let out some of the heat to slow down the cooking. Close the wrapping paper and let it rest a couple hours inside a cooler that is lined with a couple towels. The resting period really helps keep everything moist. Slice at serving time.

I prefer simple. As with most things in life, the risks with brisket increase with the number of complications and moving parts.

I usually rub with s&p or SPOG, but intend to try Oak Ridge Black Ops on my next brisket. I smoke the whole packer, attached (don’t separate the flat/point until done). I never inject; also never baste it while smoking, as I always found it to be a lot of extra work for no discernible benefit.

I typically smoke low and slow, 225-250 — it maximizes the chances of a great result and minimizes the risks of failure. It also extends the window of doneness so it’s not so critical minute-by-minute when to take it off the smoker. It often appears to me that methods for moisturizing the meat, like injection or wrapping with liquid, are intended to make up for cooking hotter and faster — no need for all that with low and slow.

I also never wrap. I prefer the bark and texture when cooked nekkid all the way. If I were to wrap I definitely would use butcher paper, as foil converts the process from smoking the meat to braising it, and the resulting texture is not my preference.

I agree it is best to measure doneness by feel, and probing, and I concentrate on the flat because the point will take care of itself. But unlike many on this forum I tend to use temp as a guide along the way. I tend to find my briskets finish around 203-205F but, as mentioned, a low and slow approach extends the period between under- and over-done.

Once a simple approach works for you, then it is easy to try other variables, add and subtract techniques, etc., and determine whether you like the results. But remember, it’s not rocket science — just smokin meat — so have fun!

Back