What's your favorite backyard brisket recipe

Potatoe

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Alan
I've smoked 5 briskets and some have been good and others have been ok. I mainly follow the recipes/techniwues from the common YouTube's bbq guys. But I'm wondering what some of your guys favorite rubs are, inject? Foil/paper? I recently did one with an injection and kosmos mop. . .I didn't love it.

I'm having a memorial day cook out and got A snake river farms black brisket. I obviously want it to turn out well.

Thanks!

My favorites are the simple recipes. I bought some black ops rub and have only used it once but wasn't a fan, at least not on brisket. Will probably get 100 different answers though.

I'd love a100 answers, that's what I'm hoping for. I'm also really interested to see how many of you all wrap and use liquid. I'm honestly planning on cooking till the stall and wrapping in foil with broth.. . .not sure if this is a good idea. Also I'm not in bbq country so the people are not going to be to picky, but I do want to learn how to make this darn cut turn out really good

IF I wrap - I wrap in Butcher Paper and don't add liquid. Foil can Mush the Bark and melted marbled fat makes juice/moisture - adding liquid Don't Help........ injecting don't help either (except phosphates)- it just adds Flavor.
But then Many will Disagree........... like Kosmos ..... just gotta try different ways and see what you like..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUzsptOsFa8

but then Here He Wraps in Butcher Paper with no Liquid added.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BFwuQFAQ44

Last edited:
I also use butcher paper of anything and definitely no liquid. To me, brisket has to have that bark.

Backyard lately for me is prime 15lb, smoking guns hot rub with an extra coat of coarse black pepper, trim a little bit I love fat, fat cap up for the first four at 290 degrees, wrap in butcher paper till done, rest in cambro for two hours.

Trim for "aerodynamic" brisket ala Franklin video
SPG rub or commercial run like meat church holy cow, holy gospel or triple 9 bovine.
Let sit for about 45 minutes or hour as smoker heats up
Ironsides slugger - oak/hickory mix
Usually run around 275-300.
Spray every once in a while with apple juice/cider vinegar/Worcester mix
Wrap in butcher paper when bark sets
Pull when probe tender
Let rest until IT hits 170
Slice and enjoy. Or hold in my Alto shaam until grubbing time.

Good luck

I’m a pre-saltin’, POG rubbin’, kettle smokin’, pan finisher. I like beef stock and sliced onions in the pan too ‘cause the juice is good. L&P’s steak sauce or Stubbs Original on the side.

Great info guys, I really like hearing all the different ways, temps, rubs, wraps, etc. My main problem is I'm a garbage gut and pretty much like it all. Any of you have a problem with it drying out after cutting and waiting for everyone to get a slice? That's where I thought an 'aus ju' or drippings would help but I dunno

Franklin trim, S&P with a sprinkling of something else to add another dimension every now and then, 250 fat down until bark is good (IT around 170), bp wrap until probe tender, rest a long time until serving.

Heavy trim, inject with beef broth base, light coating of black pepper and a good coating of Chupacabra brisket Magic. When I'm happy with the bark, I wrap in foil till probe tender. Vent, then rest for minimum of 2 hours. That is my go to back yard brisket.

Heavy trim, inject with beef broth base, light coating of black pepper and a good coating of Chupacabra brisket Magic. When I'm happy with the bark, I wrap in foil till probe tender. Vent, then rest for minimum of 2 hours. That is my go to back yard brisket.

Thanks! I was beginning to wonder if anyone used foil or infection.

I’ll note I’ve been practicing with Myron’s injection recipe and it may become my go to for backyard as well. Doesn’t taste synthetic like others since it’s just beef base and ah jus

Great info guys, I really like hearing all the different ways, temps, rubs, wraps, etc. My main problem is I'm a garbage gut and pretty much like it all. Any of you have a problem with it drying out after cutting and waiting for everyone to get a slice? That's where I thought an 'aus ju' or drippings would help but I dunno

If you want au ju but don't want to pan foil just put a pan with beef broth, onions and rub (to your liking) under the brisket for the first few hours of the cook. You could strain later to get rid of excess fat and even simmer it on the side burner if u want to reduce it.

Trim for "aerodynamic" brisket ala Franklin video
SPG rub or commercial run like meat church holy cow, holy gospel or triple 9 bovine.
Let sit for about 45 minutes or hour as smoker heats up
Ironsides slugger - oak/hickory mix
Usually run around 275-300.
Spray every once in a while with apple juice/cider vinegar/Worcester mix
Wrap in butcher paper when bark sets
Pull when probe tender
Let rest until IT hits 170
Slice and enjoy. Or hold in my Alto shaam until grubbing time.

Good luck

Solid advice, definitely Frankin inspired. It's the way I do mine, with the exception of wrapping...i'm just too lazy to do it! One other tip is to get a pan of water in your cooker to help with humidity in the cooker. I've been doing that on my recent cooks and have had very good results.

The other best tip I've had: Probe the thickest part of the flat for doneness. Ignore the point; it'll be fine. Once the flat is tender, you're done.

What sleebus said. I'm no brisket guru, but my best ones were where I cooked to probe, not temp. I like hot and fast as well. SPG, salted the day before.

If I would have left mine on for about a 1/2 hour to hour longer, it would have been pretty damn good and it was just a CAB flat.

WSM @ 275, small water pan
Oakridge SPOGOS and a little olive oil
Wrapped in 2x sheets of butcher paper @ 175*
Pulled at 205* (too soon) and let it breathe before wrapping in foil and into the cooler.

Flavor was there, but the collagen hadn't quite broken down in the thicker parts of the flat.

I rub with Salt/Pepper/Cayenne. WSM 22.5". Usually with a mix of hickory and pecan, but this time, I used post oak. I run it with two vents closed, one low vent at a pencil width of an opening and the top wide open. It runs about 238F. I usually put it on between 8 and 10 p.m. and sleep in. I usually don't wrap, but have butcher paper on hand if it gets too stubborn. I'll start probing at 200 F. I've let it go as high as 210 F if need be to probe done. This is today's work.

Rv-A3e82-DD-GLYQr5m09dx-HKd8t-La-KS3f-U9-V8s-CHUBP8-AICEuu-S8chh-DRC-i-Wt-CG-XSd-Z17qp-Tm-PNfb-RD-thv-Y2jt07-OAmel-Fj-X0cyp-A-DWsgf-EHyxq-BGJc-Zhh-KPoj-4x-NUGN8mgri-U-Vt-MMa-B-H3pkna-EAi-E9-WDbj-O5st-Yqiq57i-A6v998v0-A47-I4-EDv78-XMWDVLdr-U83-Q-XHa-AD8pna-Gy-LEd-Ms-Oy-EF2-Zz0-b-L83z-HVs-Piu-Bc-Nbp-Wr74-nz-Or.jpg

Back