What's your experience? - Brining vs Injecting Turkeys

What's your favorite way to prepare a turkey?

• Wet Brine

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Dry Brine

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Inject

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Au Naturel

Votes: 9 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I learned to inject a brine for smoked turkey years ago and now I inject and then soak in a cooler overnight to assure full brine absorption.

Then smoke in my smoke house.

These are chickens I did the same way.

A batch of turkeys will be done soon.

View attachment 151282

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but this past weekend I did a test run on a couple chickens. I made my own creole butter injection, but when the injection cooled in the fridge, the butter settled out at the top. Do you inject cold liquid or warm it up just enough to let the butter liquefy? I think next time I will also add butter under the skin. I just did a quick rub-down with canola oil on the outside of the skin for my rub to stick.

I started using game changer as an injection awhile back and like it. This will be my 3rd year injecting. The first two were with creole butter

I have done all three. I would prefer to brine either way over injecting. Injection just seemed to concentrate where I injected it. Wet and dry brines seem to distribute better for me. Now I exclusively dry brine with a little product called Harvest Brine! It is awesome! Ever heard of it? Check it out and buy it!

like I said a bit ago for my first turkey im gonna use the harvest brine and inject tony sacheris garlic herb should be one tasty hunk of bird

I'll be dry-brining. Just ordered Harvest-Brine. Also some Q-Salt and Hot-Salt while I was at it.

I did the exact same order before starting this thread. Might not use the Harvest Brine for Thanksgiving because I usually don’t like to experiment on holidays. But I’ll dry brine no less just likely using kosher salt, pepper, and herbs.

Just saw my name in your OP ISS. I inject exclusively but when it comes to Turkeys, I don't smoke them. Have always Cajun fried them then a few years ago went oil less frying. The first few pages of this thread show the injection.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200865

Smoked is good too for sure! Never tried to smoke one but if I did, I would inject.

I have done all three. I would prefer to brine either way over injecting. Injection just seemed to concentrate where I injected it. Wet and dry brines seem to distribute better for me. Now I exclusively dry brine with a little product called Harvest Brine! It is awesome! Ever heard of it? Check it out and buy it!

It's all in the way you tickle the bird to keep the injection from ending up concentrated. Done properly, it infuses to all the meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8HchCV5cfM

The wrong way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP0Wz-K3tso

I like to flavour my turkeys in addition to moistening them, so I always inject a recipe that matches or complements the rub I'm using. For example, the garlic and jalapeño recipes from Smoke and Spice.

I've never had an issue with the flavour or moisture staying too localized or affecting the texture.

Back