whats the deal with chicken?

Probably the biggest single hurdle for most cooks starting out is getting their head around the idea that it doesn't matter what you or your family and friends like, to win contests you have to give the judges what they expect.

I,ve been competing for 6 years and i will never cook for a judge- how can you, do you know what every judge's taste is i don't, and who's going to eat the other 12 peices that you didn't turn in.

> comment like "It was good, but it's not what I call BBQ".

Whether chicken or other, this pretty much hits what he was saying DEAD
ON. First, you're cooking for 6 particular judges not of your choosing.
Flavors outside what any one of them thinks is BBQ, in their individual
opinion, will surely invite a 7 or worse, and as a result death. Just
remember, it's BBQ. Stick with that. If you cook a moist, tender, tasty
piece of BBQ chicken that's not in a muffin pan, by all means do it!

While I've only been cooking BBQ comps the last 3 or so years, I've been
competing in food competitions for the last 18+- years. I've always advised
new cooks to cook what they like, with a major caveat: It cannot be too
extreme. Like chili. I like mine 3-beer hot (3 beers required per bowl, it's
that hot). 3-beer chili will NEVER win, it's too hot for 85% of judges. So,
in chili cookoffs I'll tone it down quite a bit. Same for other foods; when I
cook for me I like spicy foods, but when I'm having guests over I dial it
back quite a bit. Pretty much the same goes for competitions; remember
you're cooking for THEM, not you. Until you're able to judge your own
entries, and be the ONLY one judging your own entries, that simple truth,
whether we like it or not, is still the truth.

For what it's worth, when working up a new recipe (BBQ, chili, whatever),
I always choose a few people who like foods much different than I do, and
that they'll tell me the honest truth. My very best friend happens to have
the complete opposite taste as do I. Ends up, when he and I both agree
that something is *off the hook*, we've always done well presenting it
at comps.

Probably the biggest single hurdle for most cooks starting out is getting their head around the idea that it doesn't matter what you or your family and friends like, to win contests you have to give the judges what they expect.

Absolutely true. When we stopped trying to make hip flavor profiles and concentrated on classic flavors and consistent execution, we did a lot better. If foiling meats and cooking in pans helps produce consistent results, you bet we are going to choose that and not worry about being unique. If we win, that's the kind of unique we want. :-D

An idea: I suggest taking a judging class and actually judging a few competitions.
In a picture is worth a thousand words, this will get you a picture that has smells
and flavors. You'll quickly understand the mark to hit. I cannot tell you how many
competitors I saw judging their first competitions and having the "ah ha" moments.
Honestly, I learned at least as much judging as I did/have techniques from friends
who are competitors.

whoa man, i never tried to come off as disrespectful. all i'm saying is if theres 40 teams, and 40 teams are doing the same style of chicken, theres something wrong with that. just seems to me that there should be more of a variety because it seems this is the one category there is none of that in.
in no way was i disrespecting or trying to disrespect anyone. i think you took it the wrong way my friend.

BBQ John,
I see what you're asking.
I've only been to a few contests - only competed in a couple of backyard events, so my experience is very limited. Yet, what I have seen is that most of the chicken turned in from team to team is different - even those who use muffin tins do SOMETHING different to them. Most people I've seen don't use them at all, but like I said, I have little experience.

I gave thanks to Butt Head and CivilWar because if you put the 2 ideas they have, you end up thinking like we do. We cook what we like and turn it in. The only variable is heat. I like it hot to the point of sweating, but I cant cook that way for my family, so we turn in what the majority likes. We turn in every entry just like we cook at home. Our theory is if it looks good, taste good, and is tender, we have a chance.

Winning habits: Begin with the end in mind. Seek to understand, then be understood.

The end in mind: Win the competition.

Seek to understand: 1) Learn how the judges judge, what they look for. Take a judging class and judge competitions to find out what wins from the inside. 2) Shig the consistent winners, most are willing to share as long as you are genuine and truly want to learn. Some offer classes. How does Dr BBQ, Pellet Envy, etc get top scores with all the judges all the time? In a swimming competition, you don't win freestyle by doing the backstroke.

Then be understood: Once you understand these things, add your touch to the food. I have been lucky enough to sample chicken from several consistent winners and each were very unique in there flavors and presentation, but all had incredible taste and tenderness.

Back