THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Trying to save some cash. I like lump but briquettes work. I can buy in bulk if it will save me money. I love the deal on wood chunks I got today from a guy off facebook -- about 1/3rd of retail store price.

The "best deal" is subjective I suppose, but something that doesn't cost much money, and doesn't burn well, with maybe has 1/3 the weight of the bag as unusable pieces doesn't seem like a great deal to me. I'll use Kingsford Professional briqs in my kettle grills, but for lump I only burn Jealous Devil at this point. I can use almost 100% of the package, it burns hot, clean, and lasts a long time with almost no sparking at startup. I pay $1/lb for it but all things considered, compared to other options readily available, that is the best deal in lump charcoal as far as I'm concerned. Their briquettes are pretty good, for the same reason. Not the cheapest, but I believe the total cost of ownership is quite reasonable.

I sure miss the 2 x 20lb bags of Kingfod Blue for $9.99 deal. I got so many 2 packs one day in 2014 :) At this point I'd be pleased with a 2 x 20lb bags for $14.99 deal.

I have two New Year Resolutions

Buy no charcoal (briquettes-lump-Pellets)
Buy no Bourbon nor Whiskey

In the Year 2022 Going to dent the existing cache
So far so good almost 2 months success. Trust me, I won’t run out, of either.

Great deals are brand specific. Sometimes the price makes it a good deal, sometimes just finding what you want in stock.

Sam’s has (had) a two pack of briquettes that were nice
Sam’s has (had) a lump that I will buy only in case of emergency

Weird as it sounds some of the best deals I’ve seen were inside grocery stores. If you have an Amigos or Spanish Grocery they often have coals on sale in the aisle and meat counter. Often Mesquite. Which I like. Check El Diablo for a local retailer. If they survived the pandemic it’s usually under $20 for 30#

6.6# Rancho Viejo mesquite sale priced $5 at United Amigos last week. Last year I’d have bought 10 bags. This year I’m passing. I know quite a few people who only cook with certain brands B&B-Fogo and Jealous Devil mainly.

Me? I believe in never doing the same thing twice. The grand experience of different coals different spices different cookers. If I could only have one of each, I’d probably cook less and hang at Taco Villa more.

Last edited:
Last year I picked up a bag of briquettes from the Lidyl grocery store to try that was pretty darn good, big bag, made in America, and the sale price was 5 bucks.

Wished I bought more....I'll be checking them come spring.

I personally don't care for Kinsford Briquettes, but I know a lot of guys like them. The big box stores still do the 2 bags for around 10 bucks for Memorial Day weekend which will be here soon - at least they did last year.

When I first started BBQ in 2013, I researched for the best lump charcoal and it was this company out of arkansas about 150 miles from where I live in Oklahoma if I recall. Highest rated lump in the natiion according to this one web site where they test every lump.

It was called Ozark Trail and it was at my local market 1/2 mile from me .. for $3 per large bag.

I was in heaven with the charcoal and felt like I was set and would continue to have great lump the rest of my life. That was until like 6 months later when the company closed down and no longer manufactured the lump, lol.

Hasty Bake is based out of Tulsa where I live and they even bought the same lump used in Ozark Trail from that company, and rebranded it "Hasty Bake" on the bags. Hasty Bake sold it for $5 per bag .. $2 more per bag than Ozark Trail. I recently bought a bag of Hasty Bake lump and it wasn't as good as the old lump they sold, and it was a lot more pricey.

So I've always preferred lump, especially that lump. But since it was no longer available, and there was sale going on for Kingsford Blue.. I just bought a bunch of that and decided it was okay enough. I don't like it as well as the lump I used.. The lump I used barely left any ashes or mess to clean up. It also smelled better, and didn't make toxic clouds when first starting up in the chimney like the kingsford does.

Last edited:
I like B&B lump and briquettes. Ace will have a sale occasionally. I order online for local store pickup as it's rarely on the shelf where I live.

When I first started BBQ in 2013, I researched for the best lump charcoal and it was this company out of arkansas about 150 miles from where I live in Oklahoma if I recall. Highest rated lump in the natiion according to this one web site where they test every lump.

It was called Ozark Trail and it was at my local market 1/2 mile from me .. for $3 per large bag.

I was in heaven with the charcoal and felt like I was set and would continue to have great lump the rest of my life. That was until like 6 months later when the company closed down and no longer manufactured the lump, lol.

Hasty Bake is based out of Tulsa where I live and they even bought the same lump used in Ozark Trail from that company, and rebranded it "Hasty Bake" on the bags. Hasty Bake sold it for $5 per bag .. $2 more per bag than Ozark Trail. I recently bought a bag of Hasty Bake lump and it wasn't as good as the old lump they sold, and it was a lot more pricey.

So I've always preferred lump, especially that lump. But since it was no longer available, and there was sale going on for Kingsford Blue.. I just bought a bunch of that and decided it was okay enough. I don't like it as well as the lump I used.. The lump I used barely left any ashes or mess to clean up. It also smelled better, and didn't make toxic clouds when first starting up in the chimney like the kingsford does.

The company from Arkansas was named Ozark Oak, and it definitely was the best lump charcoal ever made. The plant was bought out by royal oak, and the last I heard it was used to package charcoal for various store brands. As far as I know, there is no way to know which store brands come from that plant or from the various other royal oak plants in the country. I have my suspicion that Expert Grill 8lb bags from WalMart are from there (at least in my area), but I have no way to confirm that. If you can find an un-molested 8lb bag at Walmart (not an easy task), give it a try. The large bags of Expert Grill seem to be different, and more like the standard Royal Oak.

As for currently available charcoal briquettes, I have had really good luck with Members Mark charcoal that was sold at Sams Club. I have not seen it back at the store since they sold out last fall, but I hope that it comes back this spring. The charcoal was obviously made by Royal Oak (ridge design), but they were substantially larger briquettes than normal.

When OzarkOak shut down I started using B&B lump.It is not OzarkOak but it suits my needs,is reasonably priced and readily available. I buy it by the pallet at Academy Sports.They order it for me.

I’ve been using Kamado Joe big block lately and really like it. Big pieces and lasts a long time. Expensive though at $25 per bag but seems to last twice as long as what I used to use , Royal oak at $10 per bag, so it evens out. Amazon Prime with free shipping.

When OzarkOak shut down I started using B&B lump.It is not OzarkOak but it suits my needs,is reasonably priced and readily available. I buy it by the pallet at Academy Sports.They order it for me.

I had a buddy that went down a few different times to the factory in Arizona to bring back to North Dakota. He'd stop in the Twin Cities (Ripnems house) and drop off Ozark Oak. I want to say he bought something like 10+ pallets worth each time.

The good ole days....

Another vote for B&B. I have a few bags of Weber left--didn't cook much last year due to back issues. Other than the Weber, B&B is all I've used for the last 12-24 months. Locally, I buy it from Ace Hardware.

Back