What's on for the Weekend?

I'm taking the Royal Oak charcoal challenge today, and using the Bandera.....first time I've used Royal Oak personally, though I know that Mark of Great Grills O' Fire and Jay of Team Q are big fans of using it.

I've got 9 racks of babybacks in as of 6:30 this morning. Woke up at 4:45AM to start my fire and walked out to some slight rain and sleet going on. YUK! I guess I've used the Spicewine cooker so much this summer that I'd forgotten how much fuel the 'dera needs to get to temp. We're humming along now....gonna throw in some wings in the barrel cooker a little later on, and try to have everything done by noon.

Solidkick said:
I'm taking the Royal Oak charcoal challenge today, and using the Bandera.....first time I've used Royal Oak personally, though I know that Mark of Great Grills O' Fire and Jay of Team Q are big fans of using it.

I've got 9 racks of babybacks in as of 6:30 this morning. Woke up at 4:45AM to start my fire and walked out to some slight rain and sleet going on. YUK! I guess I've used the Spicewine cooker so much this summer that I'd forgotten how much fuel the 'dera needs to get to temp. We're humming along now....gonna throw in some wings in the barrel cooker a little later on, and try to have everything done by noon.

Damn we are glutens for punishment. I was up at 4 am and had the meat on by 5.

I don't think I'm cooking this weekend. We have a family gathering tonight and we're in charge of dessert. I may cook some baby backs tomorrow, but I'm not sure.

Thirdeye, the bison ribs look good. I guess I expected them to be bigger, life beef ribs.

thirdeye said:
Heheee. I sure had plenty of chances while driving through South Dakota.

1122fb8b.jpg

Coincidentally, HEB had bison sirloin steak on quick sale this morning. Looked like 8 oz cuts for $2 each. Bought 4.

Mmmm, steak. I'm doing 2 racks Pork Spare ribs, two chickens halved, a London Broil, and a tray of baked beans. Come on dinner time!

BBQchef33 said:
and Im bringing my last package of jalepeno sausage for me and the scoutmaster(we'll go hide in a tent).

I like Nick, send me his address. I wouldn't want him to suffer:cool:

Woo Hoo. Just got back from the store. 12.5# brisket, 6 fatties (2 maple, 2 Italian, 1 "Bold Country, seriously hot", and one sage), 5 packs of little sizzlers (3 maple and 2 "Hot and Spicy with Tabasco"), and whatever I manage to scrounge out of the freezer before I go to bed. Fire will be hot in the AM. I think I'll try Dr. BBQ's brisket from the first book. My brisket is in serious need of improvement.

....... first 'real' cook on adopted Traeger 075. Unbelieveable !!!! .... first perfectly cooked chicken, moist, great taste, AND .... crispy skin [ CRISPY SKIN ]. If I only cooked chicken on the Traeger it would be worth it ...

Used different rub on each boob ... Ken Stone Wicked Grin, Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk, Dave Klose Championship Poultry Rub. Large pieces ... could only eat portions of two. Both good, but Wicked Grin has the lead for now. More tomorrow.

...crispy skin, crispy skin ....

Attachments

• Traeger_1st ChickenBreasts_Platter2_DSCF1089.jpg
    Traeger_1st ChickenBreasts_Platter2_DSCF1089.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 77
thillin said:
Fatties and ABTs off the grates. Also I tried Ed's 5hr butt that he has posted ................
-------------------------------------------

fatties and ABT's look great, but you're rubbin' it in with that P-P. Hope it tastes as good as it looks !

Q_Egg said:
....... first 'real' cook on adopted Traeger 075. Unbelieveable !!!! .... first perfectly cooked chicken, moist, great taste, AND .... crispy skin [ CRISPY SKIN ]. If I only cooked chicken on the Traeger it would be worth it ...

Used different rub on each boob ... Ken Stone Wicked Grin, Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk, Dave Klose Championship Poultry Rub. Large pieces ... could only eat portions of two. Both good, but Wicked Grin has the lead for now. More tomorrow.

...crispy skin, crispy skin ....

Lookin good, Q!

Pics look great as usual. It's 29* out and I just dumped the first chimney of lit K into the queer. Did not orient the k's. Those sure fire grooves mess me up anyway.

Breakfast

Got the pit fired up so may as well start the day right. Maple fatty with what else but fatty gravy over fresh biscuits.

Attachments

• Fatty and eggs.JPG
    Fatty and eggs.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 96
... dang, I thought my french toast was good 'til I saw this! Guess I need to start buying pork sausage 10# at a time to always have some around.

Great way to start the day!

I am feeling guilty as this is one of the first weeks in a while I haven't que'd. I ended up making a killer twist on seafood chowder last night. I wanted chowder, the wife wanted potato leek soup, I made a hybrid. I started with uncured bacon then added tons of leeks, russet potato, bell pepper, onion, scallion & celery with bay leaves, thyme, cayenne & S&P. I added a little flour and cooked it out and then covered with stock (veg & chicken) and let simmer for about an hour until the veggies had "melted". Added some half & half abd brought to a strong simmer. Then cam ethe good stuff, jumbo shrimp, sweet bay scallops, lump crab meat & two king crab claws cut in half and let simmer until shellfish were cooked through (about 5 minutes). Served with some crusty bread. I hope you guys can forgive me.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had 55 hungry drunks at Brauma's "Alcohol and Mental Health Symposium" last night in Va. It was too cold for guitar pickin so the crowd ate and ate! We did 3 butts, a shoulder, a brisket, a ton of fatties and beans. Couple people brought some extra chili and a "few oysters" were grilled and fried. Looked like pictures from a Mecca bash! I fixed 4 dozen biscuits in the Bandera this morning to serve along with some fatties. It was 22 degrees and the 'dera was struggling but got awesome reviews. Only bad part was no working camera in sight, but sure had a bunch of happy campers. Mark, your bandera was showpiece!

Back