whats a fair price for a smoker on trailer?

I was in your situation a few years ago. Honestly, over the many years, I've come to appreciate what value brings. By this I'd rather pay the few extra dollars and get something that'll last a long time and frankly perform up to my rather high expectations. With that I highly recommend purchasing from someone who builds smokers, competition smokers, and has had LOTS of success. Look to Lang, Bubba Grills, Yoder, etc. For me, I prefer the performance of reverse flow. I'm not here to sell you on it, just that I wouldn't have it any different.

I found a used Lang that's basically an early model 84. It needed a massive clean-up, but that was it. I paid $1600 for it and had to drive 4 hours each way to retrieve it. It was worth every penny. I've not been disappointed.

I was in your situation a few years ago. Honestly, over the many years, I've come to appreciate what value brings. By this I'd rather pay the few extra dollars and get something that'll last a long time and frankly perform up to my rather high expectations. With that I highly recommend purchasing from someone who builds smokers, competition smokers, and has had LOTS of success. Look to Lang, Bubba Grills, Yoder, etc. For me, I prefer the performance of reverse flow. I'm not here to sell you on it, just that I wouldn't have it any different.

I found a used Lang that's basically an early model 84. It needed a massive clean-up, but that was it. I paid $1600 for it and had to drive 4 hours each way to retrieve it. It was worth every penny. I've not been disappointed.

Assuming you are talking to me:) I understand what you are saying and agree with you. One of the reasons I bought the concession trailer in the background was the two Cookshack smokers installed on it. I have another smoker on a trailer as well as access to several through the competition team that I cook with. I just like fooling with these things. This one will not be cheap by the time I am done, but it will for sure be heavy duty.

Reverse flow cookers are scarce around here. I've never seen one in use or had the opportunity to cook on one. That said, it was my original intent to make this a reverse flow...we just couldn't find enough info on the design for a tank this big to get comfortable with it. I have a lot of faith in the guy doing the mods. He is talented and has built a bunch of cookers. I am looking forward to cooking on it when he is done.

BTW...if the OP considers my ramblings here a hijack, please speak up & I will start a new thread.

Assuming you are talking to me:) I understand what you are saying and agree with you. One of the reasons I bought the concession trailer in the background was the two Cookshack smokers installed on it. I have another smoker on a trailer as well as access to several through the competition team that I cook with. I just like fooling with these things. This one will not be cheap by the time I am done, but it will for sure be heavy duty.

Reverse flow cookers are scarce around here. I've never seen one in use or had the opportunity to cook on one. That said, it was my original intent to make this a reverse flow...we just couldn't find enough info on the design for a tank this big to get comfortable with it. I have a lot of faith in the guy doing the mods. He is talented and has built a bunch of cookers. I am looking forward to cooking on it when he is done.

BTW...if the OP considers my ramblings here a hijack, please speak up & I will start a new thread.

I was trying to respond to AUradar.

However, for $500 that looks like a good starter to modify. That fire box, IMHO, probably should be completely re-worked (ala. tossed and build a new one). The reverse flow is simply a full length baffle (with about a foot open on the side away from the fire box). Lang does a V channel in the center that goes to the drain pipe. I'm not certain what the others do... Then, as there's only 1 smoke stack/pipe, they're larger around than the two you have... Otherwise, what you'll end up with is very similar to Bubba Grills' 500R. These things ROCK.

Back