Whatcha cookin for dinner on Christmas Day?

St Louis style spares served dry in the true Memphis tradition. I can hardly wait, I'm like a kid at Christmas!!

This is my first holiday season by myself and the lady across the street is going to be by herself, so I invited her over for reverse sear ribeyes, baked taters on the grill, and smoked green bean casserole, and biscuits. I know, not very traditional, but I just couldn't this year.

Russ

We do a traditional Christmas Eve dinner for a dozen of our closest friends. Here's the most up to date menu -
Starters: Crab stuffed mushrooms, venison terrine, assorted olives, possible pheasant confit and wine.
Salad? We don't need no stinking salad! and wine.
Mains: 20 lb oven roasted Butterball w/oyster dressing and crown roast of pork w/sage, apple & onion dressing and wine.
Dessert: Lots of home baked goodies from Mrs. Woody, fruit and cheese, scotch, port and cigars. and wine?

Smoking a 7lb bone in pork shoulder for my side of the families get together. That will be the main course. My sis does the appetizers and my mom makes homemade pazoli(not sure how ya spell it) soup.

For the wifeys side of the fam--- my mother in law traditionally cooks prime rib(and does a fine job). She has the traditional sides. For apps she makes cream cheese green chile tortilla rolls and a nut encrusted cheese ball.

Man, getting hungry thinking of all that!

Merry Christmas y'all

I got caught off guard and Christmas has been moved up to Saturday and will be almost all of our Christmas. In light of the move I plan on a simple meal of Rubin sandwiches, with homemade potato salad, for desert will be a sampler cheese cake and the usual eggnog with a little extra something, something in it, this will be an all adult event. Then on the actual Christmas day we will have some kids and the rest of the family over so our usual tradition of setting out cold cuts, cheeses, crackers, cut veges, dips and chips, will be something everyone will snack on all day. We do this every year because my wife and I are up all night and are dead to the world around noonish. The kids have stuffed themselves with candy and wont sit to a real meal anyway, but they and the few adults, still have something to reach for besides junk.
Dave

My butcher just cut me a nice 4 rib 11 lb center cut prime rib roast which I will do on the grill. My son will do the typical holiday ham. My daughter will probably do a turkey. We do large meals for all holidays. We like to eat.

I am going to do pork loins stuffed with fresh smoked sausage and pepper jack cheese and some smoked mullet dip for the football games .

Just got my KCBS card, so I'm heading to Restaurant Depot after work to look for a nice, big bone-in rib roast (hoping for prime) for Christmas dinner with the family. This will be my first trip to RD, so I'm pretty stoked. Limited freezer space should keep my budget intact.

Plan to slow roast it on the smoker to the rare side of medium-rare, then reverse sear. We'll have a tray of scalloped potatoes, some roasted veggies, and other sides & salads. My sister-in-law the baker will be bringing the desserts.

Also hoping to make a scotch egg fatty as seen in PBHoss' thread last week. We'll have that for Christmas breakfast, along with a pan of overnight french toast.

Pernil (traditional cuban style pork leg) and a ham on christmas eve, then christmas day we do a cuban sandwiches with the leftover meat.

Man this all sounds so delish my mouth literally started to water! I am going out of town to see the in-laws, food will be meh but the drinks will premium and flowing! :biggrin1:

Macallan 18 will be standing by as well for a sip.

Count me in!

I'm going to buy an oven roast slather it with garlic n herbs and smoke it on the WSM
(prob'ly go hot n fast) sweetie will make lasagna....that'll be brunch. Then at supper we'll go to my new daughter in laws moms house for a big ham dinner . Hope all you and yours have a happy and safe holiday.

Pernil (traditional cuban style pork leg)

Man , I had this the other night at my wife's work Xmas bash. She works in a big kitchen and there's lots of Latinos on the crew....great people.. The guy that made it didn't speak much English but he kept saying pernil and rubbing his leg! I knew it was pork , but I couldn't decipher the word....I'll tell you what , that was some rockin pork shoulder!

Back