What would you have done? (Long sorry)

I think you are making it harder than it needs to be Bent. It clearly states it shouldn't be done. but that is how I am reading it and it doesn't seem too complex. And I am pretty simple... :doh:

After turn ins at a contest this past weekend I was over BS'ing with a member on another team and a master judge walked up. The master judge asked how did our cooking go, and we both said we were happy with what we turned in. Then the master judge asked the team I was talking too, what number they were assigned and then the master judge saw the spot# on the ground. The master judge thought for a minute and said, "no, no I don't think we got either of your boxes at our table." …The Master Judge then said "I wished we would have gotten the boxes from the team in spot # blank" At this point the master judge said he had to move along and then I see him walk over and talk to the team that he "wished he would have gotten their boxes."

I edited this post, trying to see if I could pick up what this MCBJ/Table Captain had done wrong. Please correct me if my thinking is wrong?

He is a Table Captain, he goes to a team afterwards and asks them how cooking went and what number they were assigned. I do agree, I don’t understand this questing for the MCBJ/TC. He then states he did not think he got any of there turn ins, wishes he had gotten turn-ins for X team, but does not think he did. MCBJ leaves, is seen carrying trophy for X team.

How did he compromise the judging? If he had been judging, how would he have compromised the judging?

I am not always as fast on the uptake as others, is the resentment and the feeling this person should be reported to KCBS that he will try and determine at future contest what Team X’s turn-ins are.

And Scotty, I would have to disagree…If it is a rule for just KCBS Reps and not anyone else how do you apply it to judges? I can’t seem to get anyone to answer if it is just for Reps, folks sure are quick to responded when they think the answer fits there point of view, but the silence is deafening when it does not…

And Scotty, I would have to disagree…If it is a rule for just KCBS Reps and not anyone else how do you apply it to judges? I can’t seem to get anyone to answer if it is just for Reps, folks sure are quick to responded when they think the answer fits there point of view, but the silence is deafening when it does not…
Ok...I'll take a crack at it.

It's an advisory for KCBS reps. It advises them that the only people who should know the team numbers are the reps, the person entering the scores, and the organizer, when they are writing the checks. If this MCBJ was not one of those people(which he was not), he had no business knowing any team numbers.

The advisory is written in pretty plain english, and it's intent is pretty clear.

Bentley the part that I really question is he knew what teams were in certain spots. He even said it, he told us he did not get this teams box because this team was in spot# "x". He even told us the number they used that day that they added to the front or back of the spot #. Its total BS knowing that this "Master Judge" is killing the credibilty of judging. It obviously is not as "blind" as we think it is! Trus me if you heard the conversation you would have been shocked! Bottom line is it is BS! He should never be allowed at a KCBS contest EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!

That judge knew the number before the judging, thats the only way he would of known that his table didnt get a certain box.

We as organzers should not be putting numbers on the ground if they are going to be used in the box numbering process!

Thats the problem here, the judge walked around the day before or even that day gathering numbers up seems like.

From the latest rep advisories on the KCBS web site;
4.44 Blind Judging​
Question: Once the judging is over, can we reveal the names of the cooks to the judges?​
Opinion:​
No! Under no circumstances should the names, or the team numbers of the cooks, be revealed to the judges, contest organizers (until check writing time), or volunteers. The only person besides the KCBS Rep who should have access to this information is the person entering the results into the computer. And, they are not authorized to share this information with anyone.

February 17, 2006

So at no point nobody except the reps and organizers should know the team number? I've looked at teams score sheets after the awards and I didn't know I wasn't suppose to. Why do they put the numbers on the sheets if nobody is suppose to see them?

I am a rep and as I was reading the initial post, my first (and lasting) impression is that judge is suffering from an extreme case of badge poisoining and was doing nothing more than blowing smoke about how he thought he had deciphered that contest's numbering system.

I've since heard from one of the reps at that contest who has stated the blind number the judge claimed he knew was not used, so the very foundation of that judge's claims has been invalidated. With his credibility shot (to me, at any rate), everything else that judge claimed he knew about that contest is just as worthless.

When I set up a contest in the software, I use a different set of criteria to fill out the roster. I made it my policy to never use any information (such as site numbers) for team numbers that was easily available to anybody other than the other reps.

Depending on how much information about the teams was provided to me by the organizer, the basis of the team number assignments in the computer could be ordered by the last two digits of the head cooks' ZIP Codes, sorted in reverse order by the middle three digits of the cooks' phone numbers, based on the day the organizer received a team's entry fee, spit out from a script I wrote that would randomly assign team numbers from the pool of registered teams, and a few other criteria that anybody outside a very small inner circle can only guess at.

I also rotated between several sets of blind unique numbers. Never used the same blind number at consecutive contets and none were ever evenly divisible by 100.

And Josh, you are right. One of the many, many, many gripes I have with the scoring software is that it includes the blind number on the printed reports, thereby effectively compromising one of my safeguards against judges (and even teams) from deciphering the correlation between team numbers and box numbers.

I fully understand how people would be upset by the implications of this judge's bluster. Even if the judge's "educated" guesses were spot on, his actions in speaking to the teams were totally inappropriate and unprofessional, if that term can be applied to a voluntary position. I would not permit him to serve in any capacity at a contest I was officiating and more than happy and willing to use my size 13 boot to emphasize my point.

FYI, Organizers can put a quick fix to this. THEY submit team name and numbers to the Reps. When I submit for RCR, the team number has NOTHING to do with their space number...its called a master excel sheet, nothing magical but this issue could never happen if more organizers did it this way.

WTG, Char :thumb:. That does seem to be a good way to stop jerk-offs like the one in question from doing this crap.

But my gut feeling is still that this so-called Master CBJ / TC should, at the very least, be given a severe talking - to, be ordered to re-take a CBJ class & serve a suspension from compitition BBQ that includes cooking, judging or being a Table Captain.

So at no point nobody except the reps and organizers should know the team number? I've looked at teams score sheets after the awards and I didn't know I wasn't suppose to. Why do they put the numbers on the sheets if nobody is suppose to see them?

No problem for you looking at score sheets...

The number on the score sheet is the "1st" number that is written in pen on top of the box. The 2nd number is on a sticker that is placed over the 1st number. When you are judging you see the 2nd number only. No one but the reps should be able to decipher between the numbers and figure out which team turned in a certain box.

Back