What would you have done? (Long sorry)

Now, in pretty much all of the comps we cook at, the box number has nothing to do with our space number, so unless a judge had some way of knowing our box number, they wouldn't easily be able to tie it back to us unless easily.

A lot of contests in the KC area go off of your spot number, so if they're only taking on a 1 / 2 /3 on the front, its not much. And I've seen it before on our score sheets as well

I'm stunned. You seemed to handle it very professionally.
In case the judge shows up at the next contest I would speak to Reps ahead of time and if you send an email to the KCBS BOD I would bring a copy along

I have sent an email last night to Gene Goycochea at the KCBS office. I have not back from him yet.

While I agree that what happened is wrong, the renumbering system at the competitions we cook at isn't very sophisticated. In 90% of the comps they simply add 100 or 200 in from of our box number. So, if I had box number 19, the box would be renumbered with 219, for example. It's not hard to figure out. The info is right on the score sheets.

I don't understand why the new # is on the score sheet.

I have sent an email last night to Gene Goycochea at the KCBS office. I have not back from him yet.
Can you give him a little time????? Last night and you expect a response today. I know we live in the world of instant gratification but this is a not for profit group run by a BOD and things take time.

At best you will probably get a reply that says I am looking into it then it will need to go to a BOD meeting. As the agenda for this week should have already been set unless it comes up as new business and can't wait until the next meeting it will be mid august until the BOD discusses it.

While I agree that what happened is wrong, the renumbering system at the competitions we cook at isn't very sophisticated. In 90% of the comps they simply add 100 or 200 in from of our box number. So, if I had box number 19, the box would be renumbered with 219, for example. It's not hard to figure out. The info is right on the score sheets.

Now, in pretty much all of the comps we cook at, the box number has nothing to do with our space number, so unless a judge had some way of knowing our box number, they wouldn't easily be able to tie it back to us unless easily.
Reps are instructed to use a random number and not 100 or 200, etc. When you see this you should report them to the Rep Committee Chairperson. Otherwise it will just go on. I do understand the Reps desire to make it simple especially with 50 to 100 boxes at a lot of contests. Or maybe it's just tough for some people to do math in their head when they have to add your box number to 147 for example. Now a cheat sheet sure helps.

Can you give him a little time????? Last night and you expect a response today. I know we live in the world of instant gratification but this is a not for profit group run by a BOD and things take time.

I didn't see anywhere where Jon was expecting a response today. I read that as simply stating he emailed and the status was he hadn't received a reply yet.

Reps are instructed to use a random number and not 100 or 200, etc. When you see this you should report them to the Rep Committee Chairperson. Otherwise it will just go on. I do understand the Reps desire to make it simple especially with 50 to 100 boxes at a lot of contests. Or maybe it's just tough for some people to do math in their head when they have to add your box number to 147 for example. Now a cheat sheet sure helps.

I have competed in 7 contest in KS now and I think almost all of them have just added 100, 200, and now 800 to our number. There was one that added 101 to it.

At best you will probably get a reply that says I am looking into it then it will need to go to a BOD meeting. As the agenda for this week should have already been set unless it comes up as new business and can't wait until the next meeting it will be mid august until the BOD discusses it.

Ford my friend, and I mean that, I cooked Little Rock with you!! I am not looking at instant gratification. I am very concerned for not only my team the weekend that it happened but future contests that this "Master Judge" is judging the rest of the teams that spend there hard earned $$$ and time cooking contests! I just want a response in a timely manner from the KCBS because what I heard and what I saw was BS!

Could you point out where on the KCBS site about judging, or what your data is that backs up this statement?

From the latest rep advisories on the KCBS web site;
4.44 Blind Judging​
Question: Once the judging is over, can we reveal the names of the cooks to the judges?​
Opinion:​
No! Under no circumstances should the names, or the team numbers of the cooks, be revealed to the judges, contest organizers (until check writing time), or volunteers. The only person besides the KCBS Rep who should have access to this information is the person entering the results into the computer. And, they are not authorized to share this information with anyone.

February 17, 2006

4.44 Blind Judging
Question: Once the judging is over, can we reveal the names of the cooks to the judges?

Opinion:
No! Under no circumstances should the names, or the team numbers of the cooks, be revealed to the judges, contest organizers (until check writing time), or volunteers. The only person besides the KCBS Rep who should have access to this information is the person entering the results into the computer. And, they are not authorized to share this information with anyone.
February 17, 2006

You'e absolutely right. Reps only give copies to the cookers and organizer. I've had judges ask for a sheet and we always turn them down because we can't. But this needs to be reported to Ed Roith,CBJ chair. eroith@kcbs.us

Bunny

Hi,
Am I understanding correctly that at contests they add a single constant value to all box numbers to generate the new numbers? How is this "Double Blind"? My "Math Geek" side is revolting....

Is there a reason why they do not randomly renumber the boxes before they are given to the table captains?
Example. box number 8 comes in and gets new label 347. Box 65 comes in, and gets new label 123. No rhyme or reason to the renumber, just a new number, then all of this remapping is just entered into a computer to keep track? If risk of error is the problem, the remapping could be done ahead of time and all one would need to do is peel new labels?

Seems weird. Thanks for any clarification that you can provide.

Dan D.

Hi,
Am I understanding correctly that at contests they add a single constant value to all box numbers to generate the new numbers? How is this "Double Blind"? My "Math Geek" side is revolting....

Is there a reason why they do not randomly renumber the boxes before they are given to the table captains?
Example. box number 8 comes in and gets new label 347. Box 65 comes in, and gets new label 123. No rhyme or reason to the renumber, just a new number, then all of this remapping is just entered into a computer to keep track? If risk of error is the problem, the remapping could be done ahead of time and all one would need to do is peel new labels?

Seems weird. Thanks for any clarification that you can provide.

Dan D.

The KCBS software does not work that way. The rep assigns a "number" that is used for the contest. It is entered in the software and the software program generates the team list with both numbers shown. For the system to work as it is, one number has to be used to add to each entry number. For example, if the number to be added is 101 then team number 7 would go to the judging table as box number 108. All of the reps I know and have worked with take great pains to make sure no one other than the official contest reps and turn in table folks know what that added number is. When I was a rep I tried to use something less obvious than 100 or 101. Hope this explanation helps.

]No! Under no circumstances should the names, or the team numbers of the cooks, be revealed to the judges, contest organizers (until check writing time), or volunteers.

Thanks for posting this Mark, I wasn't sure where to find it.

Certainly this guideline helps enforce the integrity of the judging. Another reason though, is cooks also judge. Would be pretty tempting to see a killer box and go lookup the team. Oh, hey look, thats how Pellet Envy does their Pork box.

4.44 Blind Judging
Question: Once the judging is over, can we reveal the names of the cooks to the judges?

Opinion:
February 17, 2006

This is for KCBS Reps correct?​

It has nothing to do with Table Captians and judges, or am I mistaken?​

So I guess I am not sure what this person did that was against KCBS rules. So if a table captian or judge is speculating on what teams are doin, you may not like it, you may not think it is in keeping with the spirit of BBQ competitions, but thats life...I don't like the fact that some cooks use $200 Waygu brisket and others cook a Smart and Final Select brisket I dont think that is keeping with the Spirit of BBQ competitions...I am told too bad, no rule against it.​

I think you are making it harder than it needs to be Bent. It clearly states it shouldn't be done. but that is how I am reading it and it doesn't seem too complex. And I am pretty simple... :doh:

This is some bulls***!! This judge should no longer be able to judge period. No telling how many times this has been done.

I myself have seen judges talkin with teams during the time when they are not to. If this stuff happens at my contest they will be kicked off the grounds period. Rules are there for a reason, you did the right thing.

FYI, Organizers can put a quick fix to this. THEY submit team name and numbers to the Reps. When I submit for RCR, the team number has NOTHING to do with their space number...its called a master excel sheet, nothing magical but this issue could never happen if more organizers did it this way.

Back