THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There was a large restroom area with accesible toilets and a hand washing station, but it was inside the festival grounds and I doubt most of the teams even knew they were there.

What did Mark do? Did he set back up and cook? I wouldve been so farkin mad I couldnt see straight. It's a wonder someone didnt get an azz whippin.

Yes he did stay and cooked it. Finished 11th I beleive.

From what I understand, that was NOT the case.[/QUOTE]

You were there at the time how many did you think were there?

Well what would i do , hum lets see I would first say hold that thought and let me finish my beer , then ask him why should I move thats were you put me, then if the conversation continued I would have given him a double handed middle finger . told them if I had to move my gear I wanted a refund , if I didnt get that open a case of whoop ass on somebody. I am a proud graduate of the Stone Cold Steve Austin University top of my class majoring in whoopass and beer drinking!! LOL

And 2 porta pottys for teams sounds worse than at Grand Rapids a few years back when it flowed out the doors. Hopefully those that order a unit shared with neighbors.

From what I understand, that was NOT the case.

You were there at the time how many did you think were there?
We only had the two near the judging tent... To be honest, I never really looked for any others...

There were two on the opposite side of the grounds as well. There were also nice restrooms inside Buffalo Phils within about 300 feet of the front gate.

There are certainly several details missing from this discussion. It doesn't sound like the team was moved so another team could have that spot. If the moved team was in fact placed in error near a means of egress, in a more expensive vendor spot, or near the judging tent then the appropriate action was to first apologize for the mistake then "Amish" style get a group together to carefully move and re-setup the affected team. A refund of all or a portion of the entry fee would also be appropriate because of the time and inconvenience involved.

Irregardless of how he was approached about the problem by reps, it sounds to me like the team captain who got moved had already been drinking and went straight into smart-ass mode and wasn't cooperative. I do think it is odd though that no one with a clearer head intervened to come up with a better solution that the rather heavy handed moving of the team.

I'm pretty sure that had that happened to me, I would have spent the weekend in jail. It would have gotten really ugly really fast.

There are certainly several details missing from this discussion. It doesn't sound like the team was moved so another team could have that spot. If the moved team was in fact placed in error near a means of egress, in a more expensive vendor spot, or near the judging tent then the appropriate action was to first apologize for the mistake then "Amish" style get a group together to carefully move and re-setup the affected team. A refund of all or a portion of the entry fee would also be appropriate because of the time and inconvenience involved.

Irregardless of how he was approached about the problem by reps, it sounds to me like the team captain who got moved had already been drinking and went straight into smart-ass mode and wasn't cooperative. I do think it is odd though that no one with a clearer head intervened to come up with a better solution that the rather heavy handed moving of the team.

Well you would be wrong on may levels. "What sounds to You like" is a hell of an assumption. This contest organizer did just about everything wrong. And this team captain was having a drink if the Host facility, trying to support them when the heavy hand of a confused organizer came down.

I've followed this from the beginning. Some folks have some or most of the facts from at least one side. Some folks have it second and third hand. And some folks are just talking chit, in my opinion.

Billy asked what people would do, and he got some answers. Absolutely nothing wrong with that! Now we've moved on to making inferences or WAGs about what happened and what kind of state of mind people were in.

In another week I'm expecting to find out who shot JFK.

I've followed this from the beginning. Some folks have some or most of the facts from at least one side. Some folks have it second and third hand. And some folks are just talking chit, in my opinion.

Billy asked what people would do, and he got some answers. Absolutely nothing wrong with that! Now we've moved on to making inferences or WAGs about what happened and what kind of state of mind people were in.

Tanya shot him

Well you would be wrong on may levels. "What sounds to You like" is a hell of an assumption. This contest organizer did just about everything wrong. And this team captain was having a drink if the Host facility, trying to support them when the heavy hand of a confused organizer came down.

I wasn't there. I was asked my opinion and that is what you got. This thread asks a question and is a good discussion however it is very thin on details and no one who was actually there has shared in more detail what actually happened...so those of us that were not there are left guessing.

So what actually happened? For the life of me I can't imagine an organizer even asking one comp team to move only to be replaced by another comp team - it doesn't make any sense?

This comp was also part of a festival. Assuming no other issues (fire marshall, etc) were involved then the only "guess" that does make sense is the comp team was placed (in error) in a more expensive vendor spot? If no other vendor spots were available then I do believe a move is warranted.

It takes two to tango my friends! If the contest organizer was a jerk from the outset then shame on him but it sounds like a personality clash from the beginning on both sides. If the organizer was just plain off his rocker and was showing preference to one comp team by making another move then the team captain should have instead said "Stop!" and gotten the KCBS rep involved IMMEDIATELY! That is what I would have done.

What happened at the cook's meeting? I would think that if this happened to me that's where I'd sound off in a big way. If this is what actually happened - and I'm inclined to think it did - then teams who participated should gather together and formally boycott next year's contest. Send a letter with all the team names included to sponsors of the event, event coordinators, and KCBS. I certainly wouldn't let the issue die.

Interesting situation.

I, for one, would like to hear what led up to the "move".

Until then, it is impossible for me to comment on this.

TIM

Interesting situation.

I, for one, would like to hear what led up to the "move".

Until then, it is impossible for me to comment on this.

TIM

Ah, come on there, put your fire suit on and jump on in with some WAG's. : )

Seriously, as this "sport" grows it is a good discussion to have because many more first time comps will be showing up so the likelihood that this could happen to another is good. How you react is key to the turnout! Hopefully someone with more first hand knowledge will shed more light.

Back