THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There were moving fast enough that I mistakenly thought his truck broke down or something and that might have been his other teammates. I took them probably 10 minutes tops, and they didn't secure everything. I was right across the main aisle from his site when they did it.

Still haven't read why he had to move. Mark's been around BBQ a long time and knows what's right and wrong, so I doubt he setup or parked in the wrong. Were there no volunteers to take to the site? What an incredible liability it is on the organizers part if something did happen to that trailer.

There were moving fast enough that I mistakenly thought his truck broke down or something and that might have been his other teammates. I took them probably 10 minutes tops, and they didn't secure everything. I was right across the main aisle from his site when they did it.

Wow. Just Wow.

this is from the peoples mouth.. many saw it and most knew what happend... it was a stupid thing to do. he was derectid to park there it took him an 11/2 to get all set up and level... this was yet another dumb azz thing at this comp...

Dam:mad2: They would have seen some louisiana fireworks if they came in farkin with my stuff to make accomodations for someone that wasn't even there yet after they had directed me to set up there.:boxing::boxing::boxing:

Personally I would never have, even sarcastically, told someone I didn't know to "YEA right go for it" You just never know how someone is going to react. Whether or not they should have actually moved it or not, I wouldn't have handled it that way.

It would appear having a beer in the bar was more important than handling the situation. They didn't handle it correctly...for sure...but neither did you (or whoever).

Just my opinion...fire suit on...and I'm out...

Mark parked exactly where the people showed him to park. 2 porta potties for 62 teams unless you rented one for your site.

Personally I would never have, even sarcastically, told someone I didn't know to "YEA right go for it" You just never know how someone is going to react. Whether or not they should have actually moved it or not, I wouldn't have handled it that way.

It would appear having a beer in the bar was more important than handling the situation. They didn't handle it correctly...for sure...but neither did you (or whoever).

Just my opinion...fire suit on...and I'm out...

Bull@#it, the organizers were Clueless and Way out of Line!

Bull@#it, the organizers were Clueless and Way out of Line!

Not arguing the point of whether or not an organizer was out of line. If it would have been me, I would have handled it differently.

Billy's question was "What would you do?"

I would have put down my diet coke, walked outside and probably told them to pound sand. But I wouldn't have said "Yea, right go for it."

Sounds odd for sure. Still, I'd like to hear from teh other side - there could be issues we don't know about. Did the fire marshall show up and demand the trailer be moved or he was going to shut the event down? Did an emergency vehicle need to get through that was blocked? Was cook directed to the site by an unauthorized person?

Whatever the reason, it does seem as if the thing was not handled very tactfully. Just goes to show it takes more than prize money to make cook teams turn out for a contest.

What would you do it you where at a comp and you where derected to your site by a comp rep and all set up trailer level and everything unstraped.... then thay come to you and say you must move ... your in there bar having a drink so you say" il do it as soon as i finish my beer"thay say we can move it for you! You say " YEA right go for it"...
Then your friend sitting next to you says there goes your trailer... you look out and low and behold it is your trailer on a tow truck.... all your chit is in a pile and your cords are draging behind.And no this is not a hypathetica Question. Let me also say this was not me but a very respected cook.

Thats about the time he should have taken them seriously. Also the time that i'm sure Egos stepped in.

yup my question is what would you do! I know i would have asked them if you put 2 of us in the same spot and im here first well movehim please as i am set up already...hell for that madder i would think the organizer would have thought that thru them selfs... I also think in that position i would have said somthing sarcastic my self...because i would be pissed in the first place that thay put me there move the other guy... i have had that haqppen to me before sorry billy we put this guy in your spot and could you please set up here? shure no biggy...

Well unfortunetly that is what happened. They didn't give him a chance to move it they just did it. Anyone who knows Mark can just imagine how pissed off he was. They dragged off his custom featherlight trailer without any regard. Good Luck to them next year getting teams back.

I am sure he was spitting mad. I would of been as well. That sucks it had to happen to Cheese.

FWIW Turk, I believe that this will be a one and done contest anyway.

Sometimes bad stuff happens at contests. Hate that for Mark, hope his gear was good! As cooks we have the right not to support such events. I have a short list, thank goodness. But there's a not-far-away contest that I wouldn't go back to because of events of 2 years ago. Way it goes...

Sometimes bad stuff happens at contests. Hate that for Mark, hope his gear was good! As cooks we have the right not to support such events. I have a short list, thank goodness. But there's a not-far-away contest that I wouldn't go back to because of events of 2 years ago. Way it goes...

And dont just look at these situations and think that since you had a good time that you should go back. The next time it could be you. I am an EZ-up and WSM guy and if someone asked me to pack up, I would have to just ask for a refund and back up and head home. I simply could not pack and un-pack again and still cook the contest. It takes too much work.

Dont just stand by and let your fellow cooks get screwed over by bad contest organizers...it isnt like this was the first straw with this contest.

What did Mark do? Did he set back up and cook? I wouldve been so farkin mad I couldnt see straight. It's a wonder someone didnt get an azz whippin.

And dont just look at these situations and think that since you had a good time that you should go back. The next time it could be you. I am an EZ-up and WSM guy and if someone asked me to pack up, I would have to just ask for a refund and back up and head home. I simply could not pack and un-pack again and still cook the contest. It takes too much work.

Dont just stand by and let your fellow cooks get screwed over by bad contest organizers...it isnt like this was the first straw with this contest.

I am sure he was spitting mad. I would of been as well. That sucks it had to happen to Cheese.

FWIW Turk, I believe that this will be a one and done contest anyway.

Yep,yep and yep! Have only been competing for a little over 2 years and learned ALOT about things to look for with first time contests like this one. This one has really been an eye opener for me and has changed my way of thinking about our future choices.

I strongly encourage all of you who had problems with any contest to fill in a critique form. If you listen to the minutes of the May BOD meeting you will hear the discussion on contest problems. If there are major problems the BOD will discuss and will either have the Rep talk with them to make sure things get fixed or even notify them they won't be sanctioned next year. BUT it only works if cooks send in their comments on the appropriate form that is handed out at the contest and is also available in the downloads section of the KCBS website.

And 2 porta pottys for teams sounds worse than at Grand Rapids a few years back when it flowed out the doors. Hopefully those that order a unit shared with neighbors.

I strongly encourage all of you who had problems with any contest to fill in a critique form. If you listen to the minutes of the May BOD meeting you will hear the discussion on contest problems. If there are major problems the BOD will discuss and will either have the Rep talk with them to make sure things get fixed or even notify them they won't be sanctioned next year. BUT it only works if cooks send in their comments on the appropriate form that is handed out at the contest and is also available in the downloads section of the KCBS website.
I couldn't agree more. Good comp or bad, we should all be filling them out!

And 2 porta pottys for teams sounds worse than at Grand Rapids a few years back when it flowed out the doors. Hopefully those that order a unit shared with neighbors.
From what I understand, that was NOT the case.

Back