What Would You Do?

I'm just curious about a few things... Are you unhappy with the Lang for some reason? It doesn't sound like space is the issue, so is it not performing well for you for some reason? And last, what is it you think you will gain by switching to the LSG?

You certainly aren't gaining much space going from a 36" cook chamber to a 42", and $2,400 buys a lot of meat and a lot of wood. The LSG's seem to be great, but since you already have the Lang, I think I'd stick with it if it were me, unless you were looking to upgrade to a larger pit like a 24x48. Spending the extra money and only gaining 6" of cooking grate space just doesn't seem worth it to me.

I'm just curious about a few things... Are you unhappy with the Lang for some reason? It doesn't sound like space is the issue, so is it not performing well for you for some reason? And last, what is it you think you will gain by switching to the LSG?

You certainly aren't gaining much space going from a 36" cook chamber to a 42", and $2,400 buys a lot of meat and a lot of wood. The LSG's seem to be great, but since you already have the Lang, I think I'd stick with it if it were me, unless you were looking to upgrade to a larger pit like a 24x48. Spending the extra money and only gaining 6" of cooking grate space just doesn't seem worth it to me.

It's not necessarily that I am unhappy with the Lang. The way I use the racks actually cuts down on the already limited space though. Maybe it is just me wanting to try a traditional flow. I don't know anyone that owns any type of smoker so I can't go try one out. Tough decision.

From Chris...
Pit will consume 1-2 splits every 1-2 hours @225-250 in the 20” pits that’s half sized splits (7-9” and 3-5” in diameter).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's about right. I usually throw a split on every 30 minutes or so. I am constantly making minor adjustments based on ea new log but that's standard fare for any offset.

What would I do? Stress over the decision until I gave into my want, not need, and pull the trigger on the LSG. It's really just a quality of life thing.

It's not necessarily that I am unhappy with the Lang. The way I use the racks actually cuts down on the already limited space though. Maybe it is just me wanting to try a traditional flow. I don't know anyone that owns any type of smoker so I can't go try one out. Tough decision.

I see from one of your earlier posts you mention that you generally stack the racks to get the food away from the heat of the RF plate. I'm not sure I understand the point of this, since heat rises.

Keep in mind that with a traditional flow you may actually lose a little bit of cooking grate space at the fire box end. You do not want to put food on the grate right next to the opening of the firebox as it has a good chance of burning, so most leave a good amount of vacant space. Maybe the extra six inches of the 42 will be enough, but you could also find you have just a little bit less usable space than with the Lang.

I watched a good video from Mad Scientist BBQ talking with the owner of Fat Stack Smokers regarding traditional flow vs reverse flow, which is better etc. And his take was that which is better is dependent on size of the smoker, but the general point being the smaller the cook chamber, the more benefit there is to reverse flow so in HIS opinion, for a back yard pit, reverse flow is the way to go. For the bigger offsets, anything above 500 gallon tank style pits traditional flow is better. But that was just his opinion, and at the end of the day it's whatever is going to make you happy. Either way... smoke on!!!

Last edited:
I see from one of your earlier posts you mention that you generally stack the racks to get the food away from the heat of the RF plate. I'm not sure I understand the point of this, since heat rises.

The top rack on my Lang does run hotter even with a mod installed to extend the chimney further into the chamber. The way I stack the racks obviously lifts the food further away from the RF plate, but it also keeps it lower than where it would be if I were cooking on the top rack. I'll have to check out that video you were talking about.

The top rack on my Lang does run hotter even with a mod installed to extend the chimney further into the chamber. The way I stack the racks obviously lifts the food further away from the RF plate, but it also keeps it lower than where it would be if I were cooking on the top rack. I'll have to check out that video you were talking about.

Here's the video I'm referring to. It's kind of long so fast forward to 20:30 for the part regarding standard flow vs reverse flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4qSYNWXVG8&t=19s

By the way... I'm not trying to rain on your parade at all. I just don't want to see you spend a ton of money and get rid of a great cooker you already have if there isn't a clear advantage your gaining from it. If you needed more room and were stepping up to a much bigger cooker, then by all means, explore all your options for upgrading, but if your staying with roughly the same size then personally I think your better off sticking with what you already have and putting the money to better use, because you already have a great cooker. And I'd tell you the same thing if the situation was the opposite, you had the 20x42 LSG and wanted the Lang 36... you already have a great cooker, so unless your just really unhappy with it...why spend the money? Stick with what you have, put the time in to learn it and master it, and put the money to better use.

Last edited:
You wouldn’t be gaining much space going with the lsg and while I don’t have one, the firebox looks small a new seems like it needs the basket to work well. Those splits are small that most people use in there. Same with a Lang too as they have small
Fireboxes.

I have an M1 and have learned to control the fire with the size of splits so I know full well the limitations of a small firebox. That being said, I’m waiting delivery of a workhorse 1975 with a much bigger firebox than most...should give me more flexibility with the fire imo...and 5-10 degree variance across the pit (claimed) is attractive too. For a straight flow cooker, they are hard to beat at their price point I think (at least I hope...will find out for sure when I get it:))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You wouldn’t be gaining much space going with the lsg and while I don’t have one, the firebox looks small a new seems like it needs the basket to work well. Those splits are small that most people use in there. Same with a Lang too as they have small
Fireboxes.

I have an M1 and have learned to control the fire with the size of splits so I know full well the limitations of a small firebox. That being said, I’m waiting delivery of a workhorse 1975 with a much bigger firebox than most...should give me more flexibility with the fire imo...and 5-10 degree variance across the pit (claimed) is attractive too. For a straight flow cooker, they are hard to beat at their price point I think (at least I hope...will find out for sure when I get it:))

I'm Jealous of the new Workhorse you are getting. I came close to ordering one as well, but decided I just didn't have the time to devote to an offset at the moment and went with a bucket list style Gravity Feed Southern Q Limo Jr. (which I am excited about as well), but those Workhorse pits sure look top notch to me. I hope it is everything you are hoping for and more.

I've had an ok offset before, but a Workhorse is still on the bucket list.

Fireboxes.

What finish did you go with on the Workhorse? Those boogers look nice

This Workhorse business has thrown a wrench into my thinking. The 1969 looks nice and the total price is close to the LSG. I might need to continue to just feed the Lang while I ponder the next move or lack thereof

I may be in the minority on this site, but LSG offsets are nothing special to me and I’ve owned one. Workhorse pits appear nice, but if I were getting a smaller direct flow I would go no less than 60” long. You start cooking with direct heat instead of convection on smaller pits with anything close to the firebox. I definitely wouldn’t spend the money to get another 6” in a direct flow pit from reverse flow, it probably has less useable cook space than the Lang you have now.

I may be in the minority on this site, but LSG offsets are nothing special to me and I’ve owned one. Workhorse pits appear nice, but if I were getting a smaller direct flow I would go no less than 60” long. You start cooking with direct heat instead of convection on smaller pits with anything close to the firebox. I definitely wouldn’t spend the money to get another 6” in a direct flow pit from reverse flow, it probably has less useable cook space than the Lang you have now.

How long is your backline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one I had/sold was a 24x60”. I should have my 250 in April.

Guessing with the repeat order you're a fan of Backline? The Franklin thread mentions different airflow with the smaller pits that have the rounded vs flat ends. How'd that smaller Backline draft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan is an awesome guy. I’ve averaged a new smoker a year for the last 5 years or so trying to find exactly what I want and he’s the first person I’ve gone back to a second time. Draft is great, but too many people get stuck on that alone. You want a good draft, but you want to be able to slow it down/speed it up depending on what you are cooking/going for. It was my first pit with an insulated firebox and that took some adjusting to split size and such, but once you get it then it is an extremely smooth running pit.

Back