What Would You Do?

drunkenmeatfist

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Sammy
I had tried a few different kinds of smokers and a while back I was able to get a stickburner. I found a good deal on a Lang 36 and I jumped on it. Turns out I am a big fan of burning sticks and now I have started looking at other cookers.

I am pretty much settled on an LSG 20x42 at this point. With the options I want plus shipping I am looking at a total of $2400. If you were in my shoes would you feel that it was worth spending $2400 to have the LSG over the Lang? Would you get the LSG or just spend the money on food/fuel? Also if you were selling a used Lang 36 in good condition what price would you list it at?

Not a stick burner but, I always thought Langs were supposed to be pretty top notch. Is it not doing something you want? I do understand about getting what you want and new is always nice :-D

Not a stick burner but, I always thought Langs were supposed to be pretty top notch. Is it not doing something you want? I do understand about getting what you want and new is always nice :-D

The Lang works as advertised and even though its only the 36 I have never ran out of room. Most of the time when I cook I stack the racks to get the food away from the heat of the RF plate. LSG looks awesome, I just don't know if it is $2400 more awesome than what I already have.

I had an LSG 20x42. I think I'm in the minority but I didn't really like how it drafted. Seemed to be fairly finicky to me. Have had several stick burners and that was the only one that seemed like it was a challenge to run properly.

I had an LSG 20x42. I think I'm in the minority but I didn't really like how it drafted. Seemed to be fairly finicky to me. Have had several stick burners and that was the only one that seemed like it was a challenge to run properly.
They can be difficult. The design requires tiny splits.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Life is short...and $2400.00 is still $2400.00 and -reading the news- times are "uncertain".
But if you don't do it, you might always have nagging doubts about how good it might have been.

Fella told me one time I was "on the fence" to flip a coin: "yes" Heads - "no" Tails and tell myself I AM going with the result- no matter what. Look at the result- and if I was even a little bit happy, it was the right call. If I was even a little bit unhappy - go the other way.

Or you could just go ahead and get it and leave the coin flipping for "less important endeavors".

Why do you want to replace the lang? Too small or are you just looking to buy your dream cooker? I think lang is very comparable to an LSG even if slightly cheaper in design. I would love to have one.

In Texas (from south Galveston Freeport area) good wood is so easy to come by and cheap!

I would keep burning that clean wood

The Lang 36 bare bones is $1400 new. Depending on condition, you should fetch $1000 or so.

That said, if the Lang is doing everything you ask, I’d keep it. If you still have $2k+ burning a hole in your pocket, I’d add something like a LSG Mini cabinet to your arsenal. Then you have something that you can use when time doesn’t work for the Lang or you need more capacity.

How tiny are we talking and is this a bad thing? Sounds like it would be cheaper to run.
From Chris...
Pit will consume 1-2 splits every 1-2 hours @225-250 in the 20” pits that’s half sized splits (7-9” and 3-5” in diameter).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Why do you want to replace the lang? Too small or are you just looking to buy your dream cooker? I think lang is very comparable to an LSG even if slightly cheaper in design. I would love to have one.

Maybe it's just a "grass is greener" situation. I've never cooked on a traditional flow smoker. I wouldn't say the LSG is my dream cooker, but it does look very nice.

Some swear by the traditional offsets like LSG, Jambo and many others make. Others like the reverse flow style popularized by Lang and Shirley and many others. Personally, I think both types are good and produce comparable bbq, as long as the pit is designed well and has good airflow.

Back