What was the worst thing you ever bbq'ed?

2 come to mind.

My first brisket, pre-internet, pre-food network, etc.
I prefer my beef rare, and I figured brisket was beef, so...

And the Great Chicken Inferno of '03. Brand new Jenn Air gasser, full of plump thighs, been going great. Getting ready to sauce and serve when I got sidetracked by some of the family that had gathered to witness "The Best BBQ Chicken In The World".

By the time the fire was out, it looked like I had a grate full of briquettes.
My favorite son in law (since I only have the one) made reference to this just a couple weeks ago when we were having some nice brisket that his brother in law had cooked.

As Aaron Franklin says, "You learn to make good BBQ by making a lot of bad BBQ."

I didn't have my Weber Kettle long and daylight was turning into nighttime quickly. I tried to rush burgers on the grill before the charcoal had burned down. Turns out Black charred burgers with a super rare center is edible after all. My Wife was very unimpressed! She makes sure to remind me of it every so often.

Big fat chicken breasts. Had some family over years ago. Had just bought my first ever Weber kettle. Was super excited and ran to the store to pick up some protein to cook. Big fat/plump chicken breasts were on sale. What the heck, easy cook for my maiden voyage. Had no idea what internal temp to cook them to...

Let’s just say that they were extremely dry and flavorless. Probably some of the worst chicken I have ever eatin’...

Also learned that some of my family members are big fat liars. “Mmmmmm, this chicken is amazing!” LIES!!!! lol [emoji13]

Oh man, I have done this multiple times. Finally gave up. My pit hasn't seen a skinless, giant chicken breast in many years.

My first brisket...probably 15-20 years ago. On a Brinkmann WSM type cooker. Damn thing never did get done and I had to throw it out. But then I knew less than zero about smoking.

First time I tried low and slow ribs, I had a Bandera at the time and to maintain "low" I choked the hell out of the fire which was my second mistake, the first was that I had overloaded the firebox. It tasted like a telephone pole smells. The creosote was so thick and strong it made my tongue numb.

I had the great idea to stuff a whole chicken with uncooked rice, chestnuts, and pine nuts and smoke it. I thought the soaked rice would cook inside the chicken cavity while the chicken was smoked. Then I was going to split the chicken open and sear the chicken along with the cooked rice, chestnuts, and pine nuts on a hot cast iron pan and crisp the rice. And add corn and mozzarella cheese on top.

Well after smoking the chicken about 2 hours, I was left with chicken that wasn't cooked all the way in the middle because of the cold stuffed rice. And rice that was uncooked and raw because the rice never really got to cooking temperature. Some of the chicken along with corn and melted mozzarella cheese was pretty good. But none of the rice, chestnuts, and pine nuts were edible. But it was good learning experience and if I was to do it again, I would use cooked rice to stuff or cook the rice separately in a pan and just use some of the chicken drippings to flavor the rice instead.

I have majorly burned some sliced zucchini, eggplant, cabbage, asparagus and baby red potatoes in my escapades from getting distracted or not watching closely enough. Made some spare ribs that I got at a farmers market one time that were dried up jerky when I sliced them and another time had one side of the ribs and chicken burned with a 1/4 inch layer of black . Also, even though I like liver, I was not impressed with the grilled beef liver that I did.

Whaaaattt?? Guinea pig? You've got to be joking.

Voila!

CzadivWVEAAObZj

CzaksiFVQAEoTfR

2 come to mind.

My first brisket, pre-internet, pre-food network, etc.
I prefer my beef rare, and I figured brisket was beef, so...

I have experience eating brisket like this. My jaw was worn out after trying to chew two or three bites. Completely inedible.

Yep! If I had made a pair of boots out of that thing, they probably would just now be getting broken in! :redface:

My very first cook as a kid. A friend and I camping in the woods behind our subdivision. Cooking chicken in the dark, slathered in Original Kraft Bbq sauce,over a pine limb and Gulf Lite Charcoal starter fluid fire is a never to be forgotten experience... for several days...

First cook on my just finished UDS, 2 racks of ribs & 2 whole chickens. When I checked them after about 4hrs @250-275 found nothing but black cinders. Seems the thermometer I used was nearly 100* low. It went in the trash along with meat!

My first couple of briskets before I learned to leave them on longer, totally edible but a bit tough.

There are two that stands out... ONE was when i made ribs with one of these "famous" garlic based rubs.. It was the most disgusting thing I've ever ate.. waaaay to much garlic..

Then the 2nd one comes to mind.. The first attempt at a meat loaf donuts.... (not the one pictured.. just added picture cuz it looks to damn cool!)... I take a bundt pan line it with bacon.. then stuff it with meatloaf.. perfectly donut shaped meatloaf wrapped in bacon.. Well my first attempt i decided to make it up.. let it sit in the fridge over night to "Set" hoping this thing didn't fall apart on me. Well while it sat in the fridge over night.. all the salt from the bacon must of infused with the meatloaf.. it was almost way to salty to eat.. but we managed to eat it anyways.

JXUmz1Gl.jpg

Back