What sides are you cooking for the 4th?

TravelingJ

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Justin
The host of our 4th of July party always smokes a ton of ribs, several chickens, and grills a bunch of hot dogs. All the guests are asked to bring sides.

I've been so 'main dish' focused for a while, that I'm rusty on my side dishes. The easy/obvious will be grabbed by the non-cookers (potato salads, chips, etc) So, I was hoping to see what you all were planning for sides, so I could steal some ideas.

The host of our 4th of July party always smokes a ton of ribs, several chickens, and grills a bunch of hot dogs. All the guests are asked to bring sides.

I've been so 'main dish' focused for a while, that I'm rusty on my side dishes. The easy/obvious will be grabbed by the non-cookers (potato salads, chips, etc) So, I was hoping to see what you all were planning for sides, so I could steal some ideas.
Baked beans and coleslaw kind go without saying for 4th of July. I am planning to make homemade mac and cheese. I have an awesome recipe if you want to try it.

Probably not doing anything for the 4th... with it falling on a Wednesday I'll be at work Tuesday and Thursday, so can't really plot around time off, prep, cook time, cleanup, etc.
Will probably just hang out at home and be boring. Can't really commit to fireworks shows because of having to get up early... I know, the rest of the working country should be in the same boat... frankly, it sort of sucks, there should be contingency plans in effect when the holiday doesn't make it a 3-4 day weekend...

Probably not cooking at all. Between jobs right now.
If I was cooking though. I would smoke some corn pudding.
Spoinks( spam cubed up and wrapped in bacon and covered in brown sugar and cayanne and Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head. Basically a moink using spam instead of a meatball and rubbed) got to use reduced sodium spam or its way too salty.

I definitely wouldn't mind you sharing your mac and cheese recipe. I'm alway up for a new one.
No elbow mac here.
12oz cavatappi/cellentani pasta (looks like a corkscrew)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 cups milk
1 pkg (12oz) American cheese slices, cut into pieces.
Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside. In large pot melt butter over medium heat.Whisk in flour, mustard, salt and pepper till smooth. Whisk in milk and cook whisking constantly until thick and bubbly. Whisk in cheese pieces until melted. Stir in pasta.
For an extra flavor top with crumbled bacon or real bacon bits.
This is a cheesy goodness that will stick to your teeth. It feeds my family of 4 but for a crowd you may want to double or triple the recipe.

Last edited:
Probably not doing anything for the 4th... with it falling on a Wednesday I'll be at work Tuesday and Thursday, so can't really plot around time off, prep, cook time, cleanup, etc.
Will probably just hang out at home and be boring. Can't really commit to fireworks shows because of having to get up early... I know, the rest of the working country should be in the same boat... frankly, it sort of sucks, there should be contingency plans in effect when the holiday doesn't make it a 3-4 day weekend...
ouch! I took the whole week off. Just wish it wasn't so hot, and maybe I'd get some work done around the house.
Probably not cooking at all. Between jobs right now.
If I was cooking though. I would smoke some corn pudding.
Spoinks( spam cubed up and wrapped in bacon and covered in brown sugar and cayanne and Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head. Basically a moink using spam instead of a meatball and rubbed) got to use reduced sodium spam or its way too salty.
Corn pudding is a good idea, I don't think that's on the list yet.
Glad to hear it was a hit. I've tried their recipe for the cheesy corn, and I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as when you get it there. I think someone is already bringing beans to this one, though.
Baked beans and coleslaw kind go without saying for 4th of July. I am planning to make homemade mac and cheese. I have an awesome recipe if you want to try it.
Thanks for posting it, I'll be giving that a try. If not for the 4th, definitely in the near future.

Baked beans
Squash casserole
Macaroni salad
Strawberry/blueberry trifle
Mississippi Bourbon mud pie

And by me, I hope you meant me and Mrs. Wookie. And friends.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back