Cooking in an open pit for the 4th

flseminarian

Name or Nickame
Tom
Spent yesterday afternoon pretty much nonstop cooking for a friend's 4th party. He's a contractor, so the 'grill' was some expanded metal over a pit of loose-laid hollow core block and the heat source was leftover ends of framing lumber. Brats, dogs, chicken, ribs, chops...you name it.

On the one hand, a lot of fun to sit in front of that blast furnace and fix food for folks. On the other hand, I realize how spoiled I am to have great equipment.

Spent yesterday afternoon pretty much nonstop cooking for a friend's 4th party. He's a contractor, so the 'grill' was some expanded metal over a pit of loose-laid hollow core block and the heat source was leftover ends of framing lumber. Brats, dogs, chicken, ribs, chops...you name it.

On the one hand, a lot of fun to sit in front of that blast furnace and fix food for folks. On the other hand, I realize how spoiled I am to have great equipment.

I know exactly what you're talking about Tom! Seems like you like challenges though. If you can call it that. I do too.

I found out a long time ago that it's easier ...for me... to cook a whole pig than to flip tons of burgers, dogs, wings, etc., and all the trimmin's.
You flip the pig once.

Sounds like you had a great day and good food though! Nice!! :thumb:

Back