What "secret" signature spice/flavor do you use in a rub?

I make my own chili powder, from a variety of dried chilis, really makes a difference especially if you like a bit of heat in your rub, coriander is another spice I like in my rub.

Kinda secret since they don't have it at the store anymore: Stubb's Rosemary-Ginger Rub. I used it on some ribs, then glazed at the end with a 1/2 honey 1/2 orange marmalade blend with fresh finely chopped rosemary. They were awesome.

p.s. I have a New Braunfels Bandera of course.
Love your username, Art. :becky:

What did they say???

What did they say???

Well I after not placing well in Brisket, I got a comment card from one of the judges. It said "had a spicy unnatural taste" I had no idea what this could be. Just by sheer luck while chatting with people after the contest I got to meet the judge that gave me the card! I asked her if she wouldn't mind ellaborating, and she happily helped me out. She explained that in one of the bites that she took she bit into a grain of something in the rub that was really strong and overpowering. I had a revelation at that second. I went and grabbed my bag of cumin and asked if she wouldn't mind smelling it. When she did her eyes got big and she said that was it no doubt about it!

Funny thing is that I forgot to put it in the rub two weeks before and scored great! I should have left it out the second time!

My wife recently got smoked sea salt at traders joes. It comes in a grinder and i'm using it just about everything right now. I know you said nothing basic, but the smoked part is a little different.

X4 on the worcestershire powder :thumb:

I also use achiote (ground annato seed). More for the coloring than the flavor, though. And some ground cloves for that "sweet" smell. Turmeric gives it a nice, subtle "flowery" hint too.

I believe achiote is what gives cheddar cheese its color.

I love the flavor of achiote also.

I experiment with everything under the sun...and am proud of the fact that I use nothing created by an industrial chemist or out of an industrial vat :D
I use a wide variety of chilies that I smoke...essence of lemongrass and star anise and Pinyin peppercorns and Yuzu peel but that's because it is spring here ;)

It's not the secret ingredient that I use it's what I don't use. Anything beyond the basic 4 or 5 ingredients is just something to hide the taste of something else. The real secret is to get the proper balance of the basics. KISS

i'm interested to hear more about this orange soda....

I don't have a hard and fast recipe. What I've done in the past is to find a sauce recipe that I really like, then reduce some orange pop down to a thick syrup and use it instead of molasses. It brings a really unique bittersweet flavor that I like a lot. Best use I've found so far is on burnt ends.

No buddy, I think you have it backwards, we all live and learn.:grin:
Annatto is the pericarp, or pulp. A product in the seed pod of the achiote tree, and it is used for a food coloring of a variety of cheeses, among other things.

OK, brethren who like to experiment, try some ground vanilla bean and ginger on chicken along with whatever other spices and herbs you like. You can dry the vanilla beans in your oven or your smoker at about 200* F then grind them in your spice grinder.

Yeah, it sounds wierd but I have made some pretty good tasting chicken rubs using the stuff.

When I have more time, I will post about making some fine flake salt.

Back