What is your first comp for "08

Well I never saw this posted anywhere. Can I come?

Absolutely. Talk to Andy. Rules are no gas, forced air, or thermostatic controls. Works out to be a Saturday cook since we don't do turn ins until Saturday night. Friday night is reported to be a Texas Hold Em tourney. The contest is at a State RV park right off of a frozen lake. So you have electric and water at your site. $100 to enter and winner takes all. Categories are Sausage Open (You could have a sausage pizza as your entry.), open ribs (pork or beef), and Brisket. Had 10-11 teams last year right after an ice storm. It was a little cold, but a blast.

Jeff - Just put my Pleasant Hill entry in the mail. We had our Sugar Creek entry in about two months ago.

First contest is next weekend (1/11-12) in Sebring FL, with a total of 3 before January is up 8)

Jeff,

I noticed that Aimee will draw a team at the ceremony to get their entry fee back. How about a free entry for next year's contest instead? Warrensburg does that.

Entering now.

That's just the way she's always done it. We are also participating in the raffle for free entry at the banquet for the first time.

That's just the way she's always done it. We are also participating in the raffle for free entry at the banquet for the first time.

Just a suggestion. By giving a free entry for 2009, you know that you have at least one team returning.

I like how Sugar Creek gives the choice spot on top of the hill to the GC from the previous year.

You need to come on back to Osage!!!

I will be too busy getting this conest done and then cleaning up the equipment (doing a VIP BBQ at the community center Friday of the contest with my smoker) to do a contest myself the following weekend. Talked to Tammy this afternoon and we're thinking of starting April 18 at Rockin' Ribs Festival in Springfield, MO instead. I think that might be the contest that was about 50% local businesses entering a team. Anyone been there to cook it?

Kearney and Pleasant Valley aren't the best of venues. I've heard the same of Raytown.

Ouch. Kearney and Raytown are two of our favorite contests each year. Both are held in wide open grass fields and have big spaces, easy access, etc. And best of all, they keep letting the Pig come back each year.:-D

And, didn't you win at Kearney last year?

Rock'n Ribs

[quote=Jeff_in_KC;531214]I will be too busy getting this conest done and then cleaning up the equipment (doing a VIP BBQ at the community center Friday of the contest with my smoker) to do a contest myself the following weekend. Talked to Tammy this afternoon and we're thinking of starting April 18 at Rockin' Ribs Festival in Springfield, MO instead. I think that might be the contest that was about 50% local businesses entering a team. Anyone been there to cook it?[/quote]

Jeff their website shows they are full and if you do get in I have heard that space is cramped plus it looks like you use there tents and tables, don't know if you can use your own. $300.00 entry.
Now for our first contest it should be P Hill unless you really need the volunteer help, if so then Jeff City will be our first.

Jeff their website shows they are full and if you do get in I have heard that space is cramped plus it looks like you use there tents and tables, don't know if you can use your own. $300.00 entry.
Now for our first contest it should be P Hill unless you really need the volunteer help, if so then Jeff City will be our first.

Alrighty then... scratch Springfield! For various reasons! :lol: Lee, we appreciate the offer of volunteering. I THINK we'll be fine for volunteers, judges AND teams so take your pick! But we would enjoy having another seasoned competitor who knows a good comp join us to help out with the work!

Just a suggestion. By giving a free entry for 2009, you know that you have at least one team returning.

:lol: If we have to worry about ONE team returning, we would have failed miserably to put on a top-notch event. We don't plan to have that happen. :wink:

I like how Sugar Creek gives the choice spot on top of the hill to the GC from the previous year.

Might be something to consider in a similar fashion here. Although not sure where the best place will be at this point.

Ouch. Kearney and Raytown are two of our favorite contests each year. Both are held in wide open grass fields and have big spaces, easy access, etc. And best of all, they keep letting the Pig come back each year.:-D

And, didn't you win at Kearney last year?

I wouldn't say NOT to do these contests. I had a good time at Kearney BEFORE I won. I think there are better ones to start with, IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback guys. These will be my first 3 comps.

Pleasant Hill MO Smokin' on Big Creek
Sugar Creek MO Smokin' in the Creek
Great American BBQ Contest

After thinking better of it, I probably won't do any contests in June since I have a 10 year wedding anniversary right smack in the middle of that month. Probably best not to go Q Camping any weekends around that time from a marital perspective.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys. These will be my first 3 comps.

Pleasant Hill MO Smokin' on Big Creek
Sugar Creek MO Smokin' in the Creek
Great American BBQ Contest

After thinking better of it, I probably won't do any contests in June since I have a 10 year wedding anniversary right smack in the middle of that month. Probably best not to go Q Camping any weekends around that time from a marital perspective.

I think Sugar Creek fills up. I wouldn't doubt that Pleasant Hill gets a lot of interest, too. Early in the year and not a lot of competition with other contests. Think about getting into both as soon as you can.

Thanks. When I asked last week about Sugar Creek the rep said it was alrady 1/3 full. I'm going to send in the apps for Sugar Creek and Pleasant Hill tomorrow.

I registered online for the GAB today. That seemed smooth and it sent me email confirmations with all details plus an ID number. The only thing bad I saw about the online registration at the GAB was they asked for your SSN. Even if you are OK with giving that info out online, don't do it here because it was not a secure form. The payment is arranged through PayPal so that was good and secure, but that SSN would have been sent unsecure. I left the SSN field blank and it still took the app. They can call for it if they really need it. I got a confirmation email with all of the info on the app form plus an ID number. I think I'm good to go.:shock: I'll feel better when I get the packet.

Annie and I will start the year at Jeff City, MO. The weather has to be better than last year.

Smokin in the Creek, April 25th and 26th. I have attended for several years as a spectator, I joined this year.

I am planning on doing the Pleasant Hill contest for our first one of the year. If I hadn't sold my camper this fall Polar Swine sounds like a blast.

Our first this year may be Great Bend. For the last several years it has been Osage City. (I'll be at the Polar Swine, too, since I am the organizer for it...)

Back