What is your first comp for "08

Chris, based only on MY experience, out of the ones you listed, here's my suggestions:

4/4/2008 Smokin on Big Creek Pleasant Hill MO (just because I know it will be great!!!)
5/9/2008 Sertoma 48 BBQ Lawrence KS (know one of the Sertoma guys and Meatheads say it's good)
5/9/2008 Platte City/Basswood Resort BBQ Platte City MO (love this one!! GREAT place for a contest!)
10/10/2008 Cooking on the Kaw Desoto KS (great contest to end the season--- always has solid competition)

Man, I'd really like to go do the 2008 Winter Burn-Off, in Des Plaines, Illinois, on February 10th (did it last year and had a blast), but that is my Bride and my anniversary. Since she doesn't quite share the same enthusiasm for 'que as I me, looks like I'll get to spend the time with her.

Sooooo, the first contest won't be until May 2nd -3rd in Centalia/Wamac, Illinois. They're a first year contest, are waiting for their KCBS sanctioning, will be a State Championship Qualifier, and should be a lot of fun. The organizer (Shane Swartzlander of Chubby's BBQ) is a member of the Illinois BBQ Society and KCBS.

If you're interested, check out their info page at http://www.gocentralia.com/springfestival .

See you down the 'que road!

Carpe 'Que,
Jim

The rest of my planned schedule...

(reposted from http://www.myspace.com/banditbbq )

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008 Contest Schedule
Current mood:
chipper.gif
stoked
Category: Travel and Places
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Okay Gang, here's the schedule so far...[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]February 28th, 29th & March 1st - HPBA Expo - Atlanta, Georgia - Demo Cooking for [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ace of Hearts BBQ Specialties[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]April 19th - Certified BBQ Judging Class - Mt. Vernon, Illinois[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May 2nd & 3rd - Southwestern Illinois Spring Festival - Wamac, Illinois - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ILBBQS[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] & KCBS Contest[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]June 13th & 14th - King City BBQ Showdown - Mt. Vernon, Illinois - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ILBBQS[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] & KCBS Contest[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]August 22nd & 23rd - Cape BBQ Fest - Cape Girardeau, Missouri - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]KCBS Contest[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]September 5th & 6th - Bean Blossom Blues Festival - Nashville, Indiana - KCBS Contest[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]September 12th & 13th - Southern Illinois Bluegrass & BBQ Festival - Salem, Illinois - - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ILBBQS[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] & KCBS Contest[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]October 10th & 11th - Central Illinois Bragging Rights BBQ Contest - Arthur, Illinois - - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ILBBQS[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] & KCBS Contest[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]October 12th - Maschhoff's BBQ Cook-Off - Carlyle, Illinois - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ILBBQS[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Contest[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All contests/events are tentative at this point. Other contests/events may be added as we find out about them. To find out more about these contests/events, or to see the most up-to-date calendar, be sure to check out our website at [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]www.BanditBBQ.com[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] .[/FONT]

either the Springfield, MO comp or the Capital city cookoff. Can't decide

See below... for my input.
First, let me state that it is probably easy to have a good time at any of the ones on your list. And you can learn alot from any of them. All the ones I picked below are medium sized events, that typically cater well to the teams, and at most you will be close to places where you can get items you forget. If you are a new team, only doing 1 per month, this is my list.

Anyone familiar with KC area comps willing to help a newbie pick out the some good ones to get my comp feet wet at? I was thinking about doing one each month. Just not sure yet which ones I will pick. Any from this list that you think are extra special, or any I should consider avoiding? I left out the GAB, Lenexa and AR because I already know they are top notch, and I will attend at least one of these big three. For the rest I was kinda looking for something not so big.

4/4/2008 Smokin on Big Creek Pleasant Hill MO - New BUT, Jeff is nothing if not anal retentive.... so it is sure to be well run, and deliver on the promises he makes.

5/2/2008 Brew Blues & BBQ Lansing KS - Close to grocery stores, live music, and friendly folk.

6/13/2008 Tonganoxie Days BBQ Tonganoxie KS Great people out here, and never heard any bad comments from folks.

7/12/2008 JoCo Fair, Warrensburg, MO The season's sleeper contest. Smaller, but PACKED with great teams. Great chance to talk to alot of folks and enjoy the July heat :)
8/15/2008 Roots Festival, Paola KS - Live music, great teams, and small town atmosphere. who could argue with this one? <only downside is that this could be the hottest weekend of the year!!!.>

9/13/2008 Elks Smokin Good time - Atchison, KS Lots of fun. Maybe the most fun I had all year. Ask CHAR!!! (Bride of Roo) This is where I was conspired against by about 5 teams to become known as Damnit Andy!

10/10 - cookin on the kaw is as good as any. And I hear if you enter the Chili Cook-off you get some GREAT cornbread provided to all the teams by Smknwhlswife.

Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but it would be nice to know what I am getting into instead of just blindly picking basically.

As far as the "big" ones to do -- as a new team, I would start with the GAB. The GAB has great access in and out - close to the highways, stores, etc. Heck this year you will likely be able to play slots to boot!!
And 215 teams is big enough right? They take good care of the teams there.

The Royal can be a little hairy, so I would wait a year to do it... Go hang out the first year, and figure out some of the nuances. Lenexa is overgrown its ability to be well run. We quit doing it many years ago... but the last several I have only heard problems. Police presence is heavy, etc.

Anyone familiar with KC area comps willing to help a newbie pick out the some good ones to get my comp feet wet at? I was thinking about doing one each month. Just not sure yet which ones I will pick. Any from this list that you think are extra special, or any I should consider avoiding? I left out the GAB, Lenexa and AR because I already know they are top notch, and I will attend at least one of these big three. For the rest I was kinda looking for something not so big.

4/4/2008 Smokin on Big Creek Pleasant Hill MO
4/25/2008 Barry Road Hy-Vee BBQ N. Kansas City, MO
4/25/2008 Smokin in the Creek Sugar Creek MO
5/2/2008 Belton Heritage BBQ Contest Belton MO
5/2/2008 Brew Blues & BBQ Lansing KS
5/9/2008 Sertoma 48 BBQ Lawrence KS
5/9/2008 Platte City/Basswood Resort BBQ Platte City MO
6/6/2008 McLouth BBQ McLouth KS
6/13/2008 Raytown State BBQ Championship Raytown MO
6/13/2008 Tonganoxie Days BBQ Tonganoxie KS
8/15/2008 BBQ & Fly-In On The River Excelsior Springs MO
9/19/2008 Jesse James BBQ Cookout Kearney MO
9/19/2008 Pleasant Valley Fall Festival Pleasant Valley MO
9/19/2008 Battle of the Brisket Mission KS
9/26/2008 Shawnee Great Grillers Shawnee KS
10/10/2008 Cooking on the Kaw Desoto KS

Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but it would be nice to know what I am getting into instead of just blindly picking basically.

Sugar Creek is loaded with top notch local teams as is Shawnee. If that's waht you are looking for. Platte City would be a good place to begin as is Cooking on the Kaw.

Kearney and Pleasant Valley aren't the best of venues. I've heard the same of Raytown.

Blue Springs is one of my favorite local contests. Great atmosphere as is Sugar Creek. Loaded with top teams.

Fire and Ice will be the first. But the first KCBS contest it looks like will be the Cabellas contest in St.Louis.

Jeff,

I noticed that Aimee will draw a team at the ceremony to get their entry fee back. How about a free entry for next year's contest instead? Warrensburg does that.

Entering now.

This is how we've done it since the first contest, so we probably won't change. It ends up the same regardless, someone gets a free entry.

Wow, since Warsaw, MO moved to mid-May, it looks as if we won't get started until May 2 at St. Joseph, MO or May 9 at Platte City, MO.

You need to come on back to Osage!!!

I didn't get anything.

Well FARK!!! The packets went out on Friday. I have heard back from a few.... but sounds like I will have to resend... Might check your spam folder for me.

Back