What is your Favorite BBQ Book??

One book I have to say I didn't like is "Mastering the Craft of Smoking Food" Warren Anderson. I should have stuck with the review the gave at Amazon. You can tell he tried to cover every base and was afraid he would be called on something being "wrong" IMO

I'm early in the game and really enjoy some of the history ... even including a few 'tall tales' here and there. That leaves ... "Peace Smoke and Barbeque" (Mike MIlls) and "Smokestack Lightning" (Lolis Eric Elie) at the top of my list.

For recipes and techniques ..... "Championship Barbeque" (Paul Kirk) and "Dr BBQ's Big-Time Barbeque Cookbook" (Ray Lampe/Dr BBQ) are two that I grab frequently for ideas.

Just bought Smokestack Lightning of Half.com for $3.28. Such a great price I couldnt pass it up. The only book left on my list (from the great recommendations of this thread) is Peace Love & BBQ.

Are you guys still adding to your BBQ library collection?

Brauma said:
Just bought Smokestack Lightning of Half.com for $3.28. Such a great price I couldnt pass it up. The only book left on my list (from the great recommendations of this thread) is Peace Love & BBQ.

Are you guys still adding to your BBQ library collection?

For me, yes. I have about 70-80 books on BBQ and outdoor cooking out of a total cookbook collection of over 500 titles.

I think you will really enjoy Smokestack Lightening. It is still on my top 5 list and if forced to, I might make it number one.

Kevin said:
Just bought a veggie juicer here and I plan on juicing the onions and garlic for injections.
Don't forget to wear a gas-mask!!! Got a buddy that did that and the fumes put him down for an hour :shock:

And if you juice tofu, it makes a sort of milky juice...

chime'in in

Legends of Texas Barbecue has got to be my Favorite. Total Nostalgia and remembering good times for me. The stories and the Recipies just took me straight back to Texas...... anything that'll take you back to Texas......well what can I say?
#2 -I agree Peace,Love,and Barbecue Very good book.

John

PS. Great thread

I just ordered the Texas Legend bbq book for myself. and ordered 2 of DR BBQs big time BBQ books for the brother and my soon to be father in law for christmas.

Heres one for you if you like yer Q on the spicy side: Barbecue Inferno by DeWitt and Gerlach. International flavors and great pictures from the people that publish Fiery Foods and BBQ magazine. Also Powells Books out of Portland Oregon has served me well.

Due to this thread I purchased the following books based on brothers recommendations:

John Willingham's World Champion Bar-B-q

The Kansas City Barbeque Society Cookbook: Barbeque...It's Not Just for Breakfast Anymore

Peace, Love, & Barbecue: Recipes, Secrets, Tall Tales, and Outright Lies from the Legends of Barbecue

Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook: A Real Barbecue Champion Brings the Tasty Recipes and Juicy Stories of the Barbecue Circuit to Your Backyard

My favorite of the four was Peace, Love and BBQ. It spoke to me because I went to Southern Illinois University and was quite familiar with some of things Mike Mills was talking about in the book.

For some reason my wife looks at me strangely when I pull out one of Paul Kirk's books and start reading for the shear enjoyment and I'm not cooking or planning on cooking. She cannot understand that I enjoy reading the recipes and trying to imagine how the food would taste or how I would modify the recipe or cooking procedure to fit my needs.

Anybody else experience this???

RichardF, Ya hit it on the head! When I sit down with my pile of BBQ books the wife says you have yard work to do so don't plan a cook tomorrow .. I read and enjoy all the great recipes. I have 99% of the books mentioned here. i really enjoyed the legends of Texas BBQ and Smoke and Spice. Hell, they are all great!!

swamprb said:
Also Powells Books out of Portland Oregon has served me well.

Powells is amazing! I was just out in Portland and when to Powells' 'Books for Cooks' store. Wow. What a great selection and they had some crazy good sales-- got Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby's "How to Cook Meat" for like $8.

Glad to know Im not the only one that sits around and reads BBQ books. Read the DR BBQ books over and over

RichardF said:
For some reason my wife looks at me strangely when I pull out one of Paul Kirk's books and start reading for the shear enjoyment and I'm not cooking or planning on cooking. She cannot understand that I enjoy reading the recipes and trying to imagine how the food would taste or how I would modify the recipe or cooking procedure to fit my needs.

I fell asleep last night with this book on my chest. My wife had to pull it off me and turn out the light. She just shakes her head, but doesnt complain because she loves the Q.

RichardF said:

Very True, I like the Paul Kirk books alot, love the recipes and trying to figure out how what I like and what I want to try. I've had alot of ideas come to me from reading his books, I would love to go to one of his BBQ schools, Sounds like Dr BBQ has an incrediable school as well.

anyone here have any great books on dutch oven cooking? or campfire cooking? Im wanting to get into cookin in my dutch ovens more but havent really researched any books on it.

Also check out the IDOS website, there was a news article recently about the Puget Sound Chapter that was interesting. Got inspired and I went on a cleaning and seasoning drill and found a couple old Griswolds.

Got a 25$ reward certificate in the mail from amazon the other day. i just got Paul Kirks Championship bbq book and Smoke and spice.
Will be adding it to my collection.

Dr BBQs big time bbq
P L and BBQ
Texas Legends BBQ

Back