What is your Favorite BBQ Book??

peace, love and barbecue...must read great book

giddy up texas

i really like peace, love and barbecue.. i'm reading it right now. just tryed the Bob Gibson hickory-smoked chicken with his white sauce. my family loved it.. theres a lot more stuff i want to try out of this book...

MilitantSquatter said:
This is my collection in order of best to worst based soley on reading enjoyment in my opinion... Some I bought, but most given to me as gifts.

Peace Love & Barbeque
Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ
Dr BBQ's Big Time Barbeque Cookbook
Grand Barbeque
Legends of Texas Barbeque Book
Smoke and Spice
BBQ USA
John Willingham's World Champion Bar-B-Q
The Barbeque America Cookbook
Barbeque Bible
Barbeque Secrets
------------------------------------------------------------

Great [new] thread on this topic! Thanks MS / Vinny ... I put together your top 3 on Amazon.com for $25.37 incl. s/h. Such a deal !

Regards,

Peace, Love, and Barbecue
Barbecue USA
Dr. BBQ's Big Time Cookbook

Just got Dr. BBQ's this week, its on sale at Amazon, only paid $6.95 for it and its regulary $16.00!!

Scott

I'll chime in and agree with the overwhelming favorite: Peace, Love and Barbeque! GREAT book! I like it because it is not all just recipes. It just somehow gives you a great feeling about your hobby!

Jeff_in_KC said:
I'll chime in and agree with the overwhelming favorite: Peace, Love and Barbeque! GREAT book! I like it because it is not all just recipes. It just somehow gives you a great feeling about your hobby!

Agreed-- and that's how I feel about Legends of Texas Barbecue-- it's more than 'just' a cookbook, there's history about the craft, too.

I also love The Grand Barbecue by Doug Worgul

As far as cookbooks....

Paul Kirk's books
Dr. BBQ's books
Where There's Smoke There's Flavor by R. Langer
Books by the Jamisons
Raichlen's books, while aimed at grillers mainly, have great recipes and advice

Arlin_MacRae said:
Smoke and Spice was my first and will always be my favorite. I'm about through with copy #2 though, 'cause the back is cracking. I wonder if they make that in loose-leaf format??
take it to you local kinko's and have them put rings on it for you. it makes the book lay flat better.

if this is restricted to just bbq books i'll have say my favorite is peace love and barbecue. even the title is cool. :cool: if it's not restricted my favorite right now is weber's real grilling.

I have most of them but I think my favorite is Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces. My second favorite is Peace, Love and BBQ.

This may be a little redundant but here's my list --
Legends of TX BBQ
Peace, love and BBQ
Smoke & Spice
both Dr's books
Ron Shewchuck's BBQ Secrets
Karen Putman's Championship BBQ secrets
Ted Reader's books (all of them)
Rytek Kutas, Great Sausage Recipes

They all have their place; some for a good read, others for recipes, most just to feel good.

My wife just brought home a newer book by Steve Raichlen...called Raichlen on Ribs, Rib, Outrageous Ribs.... (she works for a book club / publishing company so they gets books for $.50-$1, even new ones)

She figured I could use the help after still placing 20th in Ribs at New Holland Contest...

She means well....

Man this is turning into a monster isnt it!! Only problem now is the Bosslady is going to kick my A$$ because I'm about to raise stock in Amazon.com and buy myself some books :lol:

the package of

• 1 of: Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook: A Real Barbecue Champion Brings the Tasty Recipes and Juicy Stories of the Barbecue Circuit to Your Backyard [Ba
  • 1 of: Peace, Love, & Barbecue: Recipes, Secrets, Tall Tales, and Outright Lies from the Legends of Barbecue [Bargain Price]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1]subtotal = [/SIZE][/FONT] $12.48 at Amazon.com

I just got these books and have not looked to close at Dr. BBQ's book
but Peace Love and BBQ is a great read with some good recipes it looks like.

Out of my collection of about 10 BBQ books my top 5 are, in order:

Big Time BBQ
Paul Kirk's Champ. BBQ
BBQ USA
Smoke & Spice
Legends of Texas Barbeque Book

It looks like the majority of us have all recommended about 7 books!!! Not bad considering the amount of titles out there!!

I've just gone and ordered "John Willingham's Champ. BBQ" & "Ribs Ribs Ribs" (needed an extra few £'s on the order to get free P&P) as I need something to read whilst sinking the beers!! :)

I'd love to read Peace, Love and Barbecue but I can't source it in the UK.

Last edited:
Bossmanbbq said:
Man this is turning into a monster isnt it!! Only problem now is the Bosslady is going to kick my A$$ because I'm about to raise stock in Amazon.com and buy myself some books :lol:

Sign of life. I quit watching much TV years ago. Don't do much web surfing anymore, other than here. I do sit out back and cook most of my free time, and read books. Too bad all I read is cook books. It could be worse.

The only one I have is Smoke & Spice (try thr smoked salmon recipe, it is awesome). But after this post I am heading to the book store.

I enjoyed Peace, Love, and BBQ for a good read. For better recipes and a feel for comps, I liked the doc's Big Time BBQ.

Top Books

My "go to" book list is:

1. Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook
2. Taming The Flame (mostly about grilling, but the low-and-slow section alone is worth the price of the book)
3. Steven Raichlen's BBQ USA
4. Smoke & Spice
5. Sublime Smoke (a recent follow-on by the writers of Smoke & Spice)
6. Backyard BBQ - The Art of Smokology
7. Where There's Smoke, There's Flavor

No, I don't own any Amazon stock...yet.

Ive got Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ book checked out from the library and I see now why so many of you have this one in your personal collection. I'll have to add this one to mine. Just the chapter on homemade sauces alone is worth it.

Ive also got:

Smoke and Spice
Legends of Texas BBQ
Raichlen's BBQ Bible
and The Grand Barbecue by Doug Worgul

I'll put something different out there.

Peace, Love, & BBQ I thought was okay but basically put out there to make $$$.

Smoke and Spice has some great stuff in it. Raichlen is always good.

He is the weird thing...my favorite has nothing to do with BBQ and I know some will say that this guy is out for the $$$ as well. Before he became super chef, Emeril Lagasse actually produced a great cook book. Most people I meet that love BBQ also have a hankering for Cajun food. So here's my favorite:

Louisiana Real & Rustic

It has awesome gumbos and jambalaya's yet it still has the best creme brulee recipe that I've ever used. It's a well balanced cookbook.

Give it a try

Back