Otto Wilde Grill Came in Today

That’s what I use mostly now, though I’ve also got the Otto Wilde OFB, which is a very nice piece of equipment.

I think you might be the OG owner of the Otto :hail: Are you getting the grill gun SV? I have a searzall that is showing it's age (don't feel like spending $30 for a screen and no set screws :mad2:) and supposedly mine is arriving tomorrow :clap2:

I think you might be the OG owner of the Otto :hail: Are you getting the grill gun SV? I have a searzall that is showing it's age (don't feel like spending $30 for a screen and no set screws :mad2:) and supposedly mine is arriving tomorrow :clap2:

Heh, yeah I might be. I have a searzall too, it’s just not fast enough for me. No grill gun, though. I sear with this guy and for grilling, I light my charcoal in a chimney with this.

Well, I had to try it again. Well wait a minute. Let me lay blame at the feet of who was actually responsible for me having to fire it up again. My wife. She liked last night's steaks so much, that she went out and bought these prime boneless strip steaks. I ended up doing a reverse sear. I salted these first with crushed sea salt after rubbing them in virgin olive oil.

TBAJAs3l.jpg

Then I fired up the Rec Tec. It was cold outside today after I got off work. 29°F according to the weatherman, but my temp probes are reading 32° before I put them into the steaks. I set the pellet grill for 400° intending to get the one steak for my wife to an IT of 148° and my steak to an internal temp of 130°.

yKbYedol.jpg

9cBxjdVl.jpg

We're getting there.

1ZvyQBOl.jpg

nQRRfFPl.jpg

oXWWZnGl.jpg

5MR7hf1l.jpg

And a little bit later, it's time to take them off the Rec Tec Stampede pellet grill and let them ............Take a trip on the Wilde side.

YEZ5q97l.jpg

8un27c7l.jpg

8By72BXl.jpg

Going Up...

KV5tPCHl.jpg

Kb61J4kl.jpg

And this is about 45 seconds per side. I can actually see inside the grill and get a feel for when the sear is about right.

IUDYw9ml.jpg

It's that easy to get a Maillard reaction to this degree. No point in me lying. I can't get it this even across the steak on cast iron. And Lord knows I've tried. Others maybe can, but I can't.

QvIMB9Xl.jpg

Vh1iWO6l.jpg

DojPctZl.jpg

D7eFT9Pl.jpg

I'm sold on this method for searing. I didn't even bother to plate these. We ate them straight off the cutting board.

Last edited:
Man, I just finished dinner and you’re making me want to go out and fire up the Otto just to watch the cool “glow”... lol.

Man, I just finished dinner and you’re making me want to go out and fire up the Otto just to watch the cool “glow”... lol.

lol. That glow is mesmerizing. The sizzle even more so. But you can only enjoy them for a few seconds or so if food is involved because the job is done so quickly.

On a side note I’ve discovered this “tip”.

If you want grill marks, well then preheat the Otto with the grate in.

If you don’t want grill marks, (which will of course show up on the underside of your food), well then preheat it with the grate out and put your food onto the “cold” grate before searing it. I think this is how they recommend doing things in the instructions. Preheat with the grate out. When you flip it, you still won’t get much of in the way of grill marks.

Last edited:
lol. That glow is mesmerizing. The sizzle even more so. But you can only enjoy them for a few seconds or so if food is involved because the job is done so quickly.

On a side note I’ve discovered this “tip”.

If you want grill marks, well then preheat the Otto with the grate in.

If you don’t want grill marks, (which will of course show up on the underside of your food), well then preheat it with the grate out and put your food onto the “cold” grate before searing it. I think this is how they recommend doing things in the instructions. Preheat with the grate out. When you flip it, you still won’t get much of in the way of grill marks.

Yeah, not really after grill marks... as the solid brown crusty sear kicks butt as is. You a grill mark kinda guy? They definitely look cool!! I placed an order for the stainless grate during this last sale. I prefer the lower maintenance/easier cleaning over the CI.

Yeah, not really after grill marks... as the solid brown crusty sear kicks butt as is. You a grill mark kinda guy? They definitely look cool!! I placed an order for the stainless grate during this last sale. I prefer the lower maintenance/easier cleaning over the CI.

I don’t especially care for grill marks either.

I thought about the SS grate. But I’m soaking the water pan, the cast iron grate and the retractable pan after use, and cleaning them up rather easily.

Looking at my first and second efforts, (I actually have 3 efforts under my belt in two days if I count that steak I did for my daughter after my initial run) using this grill, I can say that it does help to take a good look inside at what’s happening while it’s running, but without getting too close to the grill.

I was able on my second attempt to get a good feel for what the end result would be by looking inside but maintaining a safe distance away.

I’ve found that getting down or up to eye level, but at a safe distance away, I can see what’s happening and can drop the food down and withdraw it when I need to without overdoing it.

For those reading this, they advise you not to stick your head or limbs close to the grill because some flames can and sometimes do make it outside the front of the grill.

I don’t especially care for grill marks either.

I thought about the SS grate. But I’m soaking the water pan, the cast iron grate and the retractable pan after use, and cleaning them up rather easily.

Looking at my first and second efforts, (I actually have 3 efforts under my belt in two days if I count that steak I did for my daughter after my initial run) using this grill, I can say that it does help to take a good look inside at what’s happening while it’s running, but without getting too close to the grill.

I was able on my second attempt to get a good feel for what the end result would be by looking inside but maintaining a safe distance away.

For those reading this, they advise you not to stick your head or limbs close to the grill because some flames can and sometimes do make it outside the front of the grill.

Because of you, I just went outside and cooked another halibut filet for tomorrow’s lunch. Preheated in 2 mins... seared 1 min per/side and lunch is ready. Insane :)

It's amazing how well the Otto Wilde works and how quick it cooks. Stainless grate was a good purchase for me. I can now throw the grate, drip pan and bottom shelf in the dishwasher when needed. I've never liked having to take care of cast iron the proper way, the stainless grate was the answer.

I'm still on the search for a durable outdoor table to set the grill on. If the "Wilde" brethren have any recommendations, please let me know. I could build a table and may end of doing it but if I'd rather not.

It's amazing how well the Otto Wilde works and how quick it cooks. Stainless grate was a good purchase for me. I can now throw the grate, drip pan and bottom shelf in the dishwasher when needed. I've never liked having to take care of cast iron the proper way, the stainless grate was the answer.

I'm still on the search for a durable outdoor table to set the grill on. If the "Wilde" brethren have any recommendations, please let me know. I could build a table and may end of doing it but if I'd rather not.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/re...uipment-stand-with-undershelf/600ES2424S.html

This would work and give you some work space:
https://www.costco.com/trinity-stainless-steel-prep-table.product.100394420.html

Here’s what I have had for a few years now... and it just become my Otto station table. Otto on top, propane on bottom (bottom shelf is adjustable).
https://www.costco.com/trinity-ecostorage-nsf-certified-stainless-steel-table.product.100036154.html

Back