What is the best upright/water smoker

It's learning how to use the cooker that's important.

Does a picture says 1000 words ??

Amen on the first part. Every day is learning something new, especially since I got here.

And the pictures will have visions of sugar plums dancing in my head tonight. :lol: That thing is farking gorgeous!

Can't really claim I've had more experience with anything but, but I love my WSMs and for the price they can't be beat IMO.

I plan on getting a Spicewine in the future. WSMs aren't going anywhere when I do though.

This is a great chance to speak your mind on what is out there. PLEASE help me b4 I buy another yard ornament!!THANKS again!!
Sal

I have a Backwoods Party. It has over 1500 sq inches of rack space but if cooking multiple butts, more like 1000 sq inches. It's about 4' tall and just under 2' square. I think this is a great size for the backyard, I can easily smoke 2 butts, 2 packers and 4 baby backs at one time.

It is possible to do a full competition with only a Party. But from what I've seen, often a team with a Party will also have another smoker or grill - depending on how much they cook.

People have mentioned the weight of other units. The weight of the Party is one of the pro's for me (140 lbs). I'm able to tilt and slide it into my truck bed without a problem or harm. I don't think that could be said about insulated verticles this size from most of the other makers. I'm trying to sell this smoker and this is something that I'm going to miss alot as I get my Party and all of my supplies in the back of my Dakota to go to a competition.

I also like that the Party can be used as a grill, which is very nice for competition chicken. Converting to a grill is as easy as taking the water pan out, that takes about 5 seconds.

The only reason I am selling the Party is to get a larger Backwoods to help with some catering I have lined up. I'm even half way considering purchasing the Competition regardless if I sell the Party or not right away. It's a good smoker and I'm sure I'll find it a proper home prior to spring.

I don't think you can go wrong with Stumps or Spicewine either, but wanted to share some things that I feel are benefitial for me and the Backwoods. The Competitor weighs about 350, I hope I'm able to tilt and slide that into my pick up. I put a moving blanket under it and it slides easily so I think I'll be able to - but it will pretty much fill my truck bed. So I'll have to figure something out to get my stuff to my brother's house when the competitions are closer to his house.

I currently have a Stumps and have a Spicewine on order. I can't tell you about a Spicewine because I haven't cooked on one yet, but plenty of people have chimed in. I will tell you that I am extremely happy with my Stumps GF223 and will be keeping it once I get my Spicewine. The only thing I don't like about it is the size (which is probably big enough for most people). When I am at a contest I seem to get loaded very easily - this has to do with the fact that I use foil pans with several item. THey now have large horizonal gravity feed reverse flow cookers that will give you a ton of room, but they don't have any pictures and their new Elite series has more capacity than their old GF series. It will be worth your time to look at them.

That being said, why did I go with a large Spicewine other than the capacity? I have read a ton of good things about them and wanted something different, but yes it is still an upright. I ordered the Spicewine before I became a member here, so it was nice to see so many other people chime in and give their positive opinion about Spicewines.

I also know a ton of people happy with their their FE100s, WSMs, BGEs, and Backwoods. Most people will tell you how much they love their smoker (they do have a ton of money invested in them). Maybe you should ask what they don't like.

Give me a couple of years and I'll talk the boss into ordering a horizontal stickburner.:wink:

I have a Backwoods Party. It has over 1500 sq inches of rack space but if cooking multiple butts, more like 1000 sq inches. It's about 4' tall and just under 2' square. I think this is a great size for the backyard, I can easily smoke 2 butts, 2 packers and 4 baby backs at one time.

It is possible to do a full competition with only a Party. But from what I've seen, often a team with a Party will also have another smoker or grill - depending on how much they cook.

People have mentioned the weight of other units. The weight of the Party is one of the pro's for me (140 lbs). I'm able to tilt and slide it into my truck bed without a problem or harm. I don't think that could be said about insulated verticles this size from most of the other makers. I'm trying to sell this smoker and this is something that I'm going to miss alot as I get my Party and all of my supplies in the back of my Dakota to go to a competition.

I also like that the Party can be used as a grill, which is very nice for competition chicken. Converting to a grill is as easy as taking the water pan out, that takes about 5 seconds.

The only reason I am selling the Party is to get a larger Backwoods to help with some catering I have lined up. I'm even half way considering purchasing the Competition regardless if I sell the Party or not right away. It's a good smoker and I'm sure I'll find it a proper home prior to spring.

I don't think you can go wrong with Stumps or Spicewine either, but wanted to share some things that I feel are benefitial for me and the Backwoods. The Competitor weighs about 350, I hope I'm able to tilt and slide that into my pick up. I put a moving blanket under it and it slides easily so I think I'll be able to - but it will pretty much fill my truck bed. So I'll have to figure something out to get my stuff to my brother's house when the competitions are closer to his house.

What Bobby said...I have never cooked on a spicewine or stumps, but I can tell you when I order a larger smoker it is going to be a backwoods most likely the competitor but possibly the pro jr. Here is a picture of my BWS Party from Memorial Day...2 butts, 3 9 lb. briskets, & 3 slabs of bb's. and there was room to spare.

Attachments

• barbeque 003 (4).jpg
    barbeque 003 (4).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 233
I also ment to add that If I had the money I'd look closely at the FEC cookers. The controllability (is that a word?) is out of this world. The only model I've had my hands on is the FEC 100. At about $3000 its way more expensive than say a med or large spicewine or some of the stumps models but man to be able to dial in the temps like you can on that thing is very very impressive. If money isn't an issue that have larger models that can hold all you'd want to cook.

A lot of teams are having a lot of success with these on the comp circuit and for a catering company or small resteraunt I think they are a perfect fit.

Great feed back. I am shocked that only 1 said wsm and no one said BBQ GURU's Caldara. I live in PA and am afraid to ask what shipping would be on most of the others. Dave Klose hung out at my spot for a few hours at NewHolland Summerfest, I love his work, but again SHIPPING!!! As far as a water smoker what ever happened to Kingfisher. This is a great chance to speak your mind on what is out there. PLEASE help me b4 I buy another yard ornament!!THANKS again!!

Sal
A Caldera is not a water smoker. In fact Fred suggests you not use a water pan in it. They are good cookers though.

As far as water smokers go I love my Backwoods. I like to call it a WSM on steroids. If your familiar with a WSM then it's an easy move to a Backwoods because they cook very much the same.

I use the Caldera Tall Boy made by the Guru folks and have been very satisfied with its preformance. It is an upright, but not a water pan cooker. One advantage to this cooker is its ease of mobility. It is not extremely heavy, and can be broken down fairly quickly and stored flat if transportation and or storage are an issue. I have also found the Guru folks very helpful with any support issues that may arise. My 2 cents.

If Money is truely not a Issue then the decision would be simple for me.
I built my smokers to the specs of a Backwoods Competitor. Used a little heavier guage sheets because Mn gets cold but I would for Ease and convenience own a FEC-100 for Most smokes and a Midsized stick burner to have when I want to
PLAY WITH FIRE!

Cheers Dan

I have a lg Spicewine and am much more pleased with it now then I was at first. There is a big learning curve, after cooking on junk, which I have just about got nailed down. I think that is going to be true for any smoker you buy that is well built. If I had it to do all over again I may have gone with the smaller Sw for competition, which you haven't said if thats what you intend to do with it.

All the smokers mentioned are good but for my money the Sw is a good buy. the wsm is just small for me and I don't want to have to tend to 3 or 4 cookers at a comp. The stump is most likely a good smoker but I don't see the need in having a hopper to feed fuel to the cooker, I load mine once with the basket with about 20lbs and get anywhere from 18 to 25 hours burn time and still have to let it burn its self out before leaving a comp. I haven't been using water lately and like the results, so you have that option. Just remember one word, LEARNING CURVE, ok thats two words. what ever you get is going to be a great experience for you no doubt .
Dave

Sal-
I have a BWS Party and I am thrilled that I got one. As Bobby & Papa Hogg said it does all foods and has plenty of space and variations that can be used in a variety of different ways. If you get the Guru you will be able to sleep thru the night at a comp. As far as the shipping, if you remember at Maryland, Ron Loveland(RibnIt) is a BWS dealer and the shipping is figured in to his price. He is certainly close enough for you guys to just go there and pick it up. One note on the Caladera, keep in mind that it is not insulated like the others you are contemplating and this could be a determining factor.

Sal-
I have a BWS Party and I am thrilled that I got one. As Bobby & Papa Hogg said it does all foods and has plenty of space and variations that can be used in a variety of different ways. If you get the Guru you will be able to sleep thru the night at a comp. As far as the shipping, if you remember at Maryland, Ron Loveland(RibnIt) is a BWS dealer and the shipping is figured in to his price. He is certainly close enough for you guys to just go there and pick it up. One note on the Caladera, keep in mind that it is not insulated like the others you are contemplating and this could be a determining factor.

Ron closed his store:sad:

I use the Caldera Tall Boy made by the Guru folks and have been very satisfied with its preformance. It is an upright, but not a water pan cooker. One advantage to this cooker is its ease of mobility. It is not extremely heavy, and can be broken down fairly quickly and stored flat if transportation and or storage are an issue. I have also found the Guru folks very helpful with any support issues that may arise. My 2 cents.

I'm curious since you have a Tall Boy; Since the inside of a smoker tends to get a little greasy and dirty, how often do you actually tear your tall boy all the way down?

I'm curious since you have a Tall Boy; Since the inside of a smoker tends to get a little greasy and dirty, how often do you actually tear your tall boy all the way down?

Typically, I leave it assembled. I purchased the unit this past Feb. I have wiped the inside out several times, during regular cleanings. I have not taken it apart completely as of yet. Its not a real heavy build up, but I think its ready for a good cleaning. I was thinking of doing it in the next week or two as our competition season is now over until the spring. It should be easy, break it down and take the greasy pieces to the car wash for hot high pressure washing. I do think that if you were breaking it down for regular transportation, you would have to deal with some greasy sections.

If you are not in a huge hurry and can go to a few contest to check them out I would. Or find sommebody close by that will show you the one they have in action.
I have a Backwoods Party model that I use at comps and at home. However I just pulled my head out of my arse and figured out how to control the fire in my WSM so will start using that a bit more. I love the BWS but for just the family the WSM is enough.
I have also seen alot of people cooking on the Spicewines and have always felt they were a great cooker. As a matter of fact, when I first started looking I was looking at a SW or BWS, but not knowing how addictive this hobby would be didn't want to spend a lot of money until I knew what I was getting into. Not that SW are out of line in their pricing, just that you can pick up a used BW and you rarely see a used SW up for sale. (How was that for whole digging 101:-D)
All said you need to figure out what your needs are and what will best fit them.
Heck come on over and I will fire up my Backwoods for you to look at LOL.

Back