What is Comfort Food?

Comfort food is the best kind of food! Whenever I go back to visit my mum, I always ask her to make her deep pan pizza - homemade dough, of course! Also, baked beans in tomato sauce (English-style!) on good wholewheat bread...That hits the spot! Finally, anything involving mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and meat.

How do you like the comfort food in Taipei?

A few visuals for everyone, the chips in the second pic are a regional favorite, Humpty Dumpty brand BBQ, high in salt and cayenne, they used to be made in Maine, now the come from Canada.

dogs2.jpg

Turkeyburger2.jpg

TD23.jpg

We raised sheep growing up, so lamb that is cooked correctly. Primarily a well-grilled lamb burger is comfort to me.

Then spaghetti and...we don't need no stinking meat balls...chicken livers. My dad hated spaghetti so mom always made chicken livers with them. I got the best of both worlds!

This makes me think of so many things. Mainly anything that my mother cooked. I really need to sit with her and get some recipes before it is too late. Maybe I will do that on my trip to see her in a couple of weeks. Here are some of them

• Country Ham (the ones my grandad cured were best) and biscuits
  • Mom's banana pudding
  • Mom's scalloped potatoes with ham
  • Dad's Thanksgiving dressing.
  • Chicken fried steak with gravy
  • Mom's fried Chicken... one of my absolute Favs.
I could go on and on... but I'll just get hungry, and I know I can't make it like mom does. :roll:

Humpty Dumpty Brand Potato Chips?
Yes, I've been enjoying them for about 50 years. Here's an image page from a google search

http://tinyurl.com/7afmxox

and here's a search, I see you can order them on Amazon or like them on Facebook

http://tinyurl.com/6r48guj

The other Maine made chip line was called "King Cole", but they have been out of business for about 30 years, I always thought they were better than Humpty Dumpty.

I think Comfort Food is anything that you love eating, and are always trying to find someone that makes it as good as your mom/dad/aunt/lunch lady at school...whoever it may be. Its the dish that the whole world has to live up to in your eyes.
It just makes you close your eyes and remember when you had it when you were growing up...and makes you make yummy sounds involuntarily :grin:

My mom's potato soup, also her pork chops with caramelized onions
My grandmother's pot roast and mashed potatoes (no longer available)
My dad's French toast
Country ham with scrambled eggs and biscuits
biscuits and gravy
My MIL's fried pork chops and taters
My wife's pecan pie.

Back