What is Comfort Food?

Pierogies, Chuck roast with mashed potatoes and gravy, Meat Loaf & Mashed Potatoes, Biscuits and Sausage Gravy! Or anything else that makes me grab my blankie and nap it off!

Anything in a Mexican restaurant, a half pound burger with fries, something off the smoker, etc. In other words, food that's greasy, has lots of calories, and is not good for you.

Pizza is my comfort food. No matter how bad I feel physically or how down I feel emotionally pizza always makes the world a better place and I can always eat one version of it or another.

Corn bread stuffing is another.

Chicken-fried steak with sausage white gravy. Home-made chicken noodle soup. White clam-chowder turned pink with Tabasco

1 beef and noodles
2 fried chicken
3 goulash
4 ham beans and cornbread
5 chicken fried steak

those aren't all we had growing up but that was some of the best things I can remember off the top of my head, makes me remember just how much I love my mom:razz:

Roast lamb with roast potatoes, pumpkin,onions, parsnips and mint peas, pan gravy and thick slabs of bread and butter.
Roast chicken dinner, ditto.
Roast lamb sandwiches with tomato chutney or mustard pickles and lemonade.
Pad Siew.
Marron with salt and vinegar and slabs of bread and butter.
Chili beans.
Chicken consume, wonton soup.
Potato bacon and corn soup and potato leak soup and ribillato soup

Roast lamb with roast potatoes, pumpkin,onions, parsnips and mint peas, pan gravy and thick slabs of bread and butter.
Roast chicken dinner, ditto.
Roast lamb sandwiches with tomato chutney or mustard pickles and lemonade.
Pad Siew.
Marron with salt and vinegar and slabs of bread and butter.
Chili beans.
Chicken consume, wonton soup.
Potato bacon and corn soup and potato leak soup and ribillato soup

Interesting list.

What is Pad Siew, Marron, and ribillato soup?

Pad Siew is a fresh soft rice noodle dish, chewy gooey sweet spicy with seared pork done in a hot wok.
Marion is a freshwater lobster
The soup is an Italian classic prolly misspelled, loads of veggies and beans and olive oil toasted bread in the bottom, kale, and very stew like.

What is Bova Shankel?

It's like a giant pierogie. Dough stuffed with mashed potatoes, the dough is a little thicker and lighter though. My PA dutch grandmother always just called them boova's, and served them boiled then pan fried with a tangy mayo/vinegar dressing to dip them in. My wifes PA dutch grandmom calls them filled noodles, and serves them boiled with fried bread sprinkled on top. Fried bread is just crumbled pieces of white bread fried in lots of butter. I prefer them the way my grandmother did them of course.

Interesting list.

What is Pad Siew, Marron, and ribillato soup?
italiancooking_ribolita_med.jpg
Photo: Ribollita Recipe

Marron
marron01.jpg

Pad Siew

Along with a lot of what's already been mentioned, I really miss Daube & Spaghetti once in a while.
I've tried, but just can't make it taste like Mom's.

Comfort food is the best kind of food! Whenever I go back to visit my mum, I always ask her to make her deep pan pizza - homemade dough, of course! Also, baked beans in tomato sauce (English-style!) on good wholewheat bread...That hits the spot! Finally, anything involving mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and meat.

Back