What is a "Rookie" ????

I think that a rookie team would be one with all first time comp cooks.

I don't think it's possible to police it.

You would have to settle for teams being KCBS rookies.

All you could do is keep a data base of registered/paid KCBS members and teams and check against that list. I think you would also have to have each team member a registered/paid member so you could keep track better. It would be porous at first but would eventually become fairly accurite.

Is it "Rookie Of The Year" or "KCBS Rookie Of The Year"?

Does the rookie have to be a first timer to KCBS competition, even though they have competed in comps sanctioned by others?

Think of Major League Baseball. Ichiro was an established Japanese superstar, comes to the states and wins Rookie Of The Year.

IMHO for this particular instance a candidate for Rookie of the year is simply a head cook who has not competed in a KCBS Sanctioned before. I think it would be very difficult if it were not limited to head cooks. Prior competition experience with other sanctioning bodies should be ignored because as I understand it this award would be for KCBS Rookie of the year only.

What if a 'rookie' has to register as a 'rookie' to be considered in the award process.
when they decide to form a team, register with KCBS as a rookie team, and then KCBS tracks the team..

This seems like the way to go, Phil. This way you can do a research on teams and make sure that they are in fact rookies. I assume this is kind of like TOTY, where you get recognized and maybe get a trophy for a job well done? Not cash. As long as there is no cash involved, I am not sure that it would be a big honor for a vet to call him/herself a rookie just to win an award.

It also occured to me that if these teams were truly rookies, then they would not know much about contests or KCBS and probably would not know to register as such. BUT, in nearly every contest I have been to, the rep asks for a show of hands to see if there are any new cooks. This would be the perfect time to introduce them to the ROTY concept and get them to register so they can keep track.

Seems like a minimum of 3 or 4 contests would be about right to qualify for the award (take your best 3 finishes?).

Example: Poobah, Militant Squatter and Sledneck compete together for years as BBQ-Brethren.com. Sledneck decides to start a team called Ash Holes Forever and he gets Poobah and Militant Squatter to cook with him. That is a rookie team for that year.

Couldn't happen. Poobah hasn't completed the Ash Hole initiation process.

As for ROY, I agree that it should be a head cook who hasn't competed as a head cook before that season and results are determined by his/her top 3-4 overall scores that year.

This seems like the way to go, Phil. This way you can do a research on teams and make sure that they are in fact rookies. I assume this is kind of like TOTY, where you get recognized and maybe get a trophy for a job well done? Not cash. As long as there is no cash involved, I am not sure that it would be a big honor for a vet to call him/herself a rookie just to win an award.

It also occured to me that if these teams were truly rookies, then they would not know much about contests or KCBS and probably would not know to register as such. BUT, in nearly every contest I have been to, the rep asks for a show of hands to see if there are any new cooks. This would be the perfect time to introduce them to the ROTY concept and get them to register so they can keep track.

Seems like a minimum of 3 or 4 contests would be about right to qualify for the award (take your best 3 finishes?).

This is all right on. Reps can make new teams aware, and then it is up to the teams to register. But inso doing they are goingot help bolster some of the contests around them as they will compete more where they may not have otherwise. But a minimum of 3-4 is not to much to ask and will weed out the ones that only do one or two.

Will there be some out there that will try to bend or circumvent the rules, yes or someone trying to put a rookie's name on as head cook, yes, but a penalty of not cooking KCBS for two years or whatever amount of time if caught may make them think twice.

Would that include somebody like myself? Ihave never competed in a sanctioned event. However I have cooked in dozens of non-sanctioned events that use KCBS rules and regs.

I think so. There needs to be "hard fast rules", and this is the dividing line. Have you ever HCed a sanctioned contest? if not, your first year is "Rookie". Skill, ability or outside experience should not enter in to it.

The over/under number of events per year is impossible to quantify in my opinion. If you have been a HC in a previous year, ya can't be a rookie.

No way to really determine a rookie. If KCBS tracked teams and team members it might be possible.

So from what I am reading, if and when this happens, that is the starting point for the ROY? So if a head cook/team or what ever, has only competed in say 3 competitions, he/they would not be able to even think about being or considered for ROY because they have already competed...

So, do you look at who has competed, and see how many events he/they have been in, and go from there, or only newbies that join on or after that date be able to be eligible????

If no one on your team was ever the head cook of another team in the past.
I would say three events in a season and you qualify towards "rookie team of the year"
Your team can only be a rookie team team once. (meaning, if you cook 1 event a year for three years, then in the 4th year you cook three events... that 4th year is your rookie season. Similar to needing a minimum at bats in pro baseball)

OK...here is my 2 cents FWIW.
Take a cherry backyard bbq wannabee cooker. Send him to his first sanctioned KCBS contest.
He grabs some of his best buds. They know there going up against some huge.......stiff competition, yet have the man units to let alone just decide to go. Off they go...........They are scared to death.
They have no farking idea what to expect, yet they man/women up and just say were gonna do it. They already have tasted defeat, yet there still going.
They take a walk in 3rd place. OMG................
Thats what a rookie is to me. Somebody who is gutsy enough to just toss their hat into the ring, knowing that there ass is gonna be handed to them in a heartbeat.
I know what the defination of a rookie is..............It happened to us.

I agree with that one.... we walked in our very first comp... and I have only competed in two others ones so far since then....

And that will bring up another question....

What about most improved cook/team? ? ? Take the average from the previous year/s and compare them against this year.... total points divided by number of comps to get average... or something like that.... MIT = most improved team... now that is something to think about........

NEBS has a Rookie Team of the Year. IF someone whould chime in with their qualifications that would help.

It would be only a trophy no money, but recognition is the key. Folks like to be noticed for a job well done.

By the way guys we are also looking at other Divisions of TOY. We have had so many comments on the high # of competitions required for TOY that R&D is looking to do something for the guys who can't travel 10 weeks a year.

We HEAR YOU!!!!

OK, I'll admit I didn't read them all, but here is what I think...Take the determination of Rookie out of the hands of the contestant. Have all team members names kept on the application, head cook needs to be identified. This could all go into a data base at KCBS and the computer could spit out an individual that meets the criteria decided by the committee. In my opinion....the first year of competitive cooking as head cook is the rookie year, so 365 days from the first time you register as head cook is your rookie year. Award to the head cook, an individual award, the leader of the team, seems to make sense and can be whatever we want it to be. But let the computers hack through the data and go from there. So in theory, I have been on a team for several comps, but never head cook/honcho, meaning the buck stops with me. So when I register first time as head cook, my year starts, regardless of how much team experience I have, regardless of how many comp's I register for in those 365 days.

I can be a crew member on a sailboat but never shoulder the responsibility to lead as captain. Is my experience as crew such an advantage? The real test of the captain is when he/she is at the helm and calling the shots, monitoring all the systems and bringing all the skills to bear to produce a winning performance. I may be the best damn downwind sail handler, but that is only a slice of the job. The true medal comes when I have all the cards and deal correctly. Scott

NEBS has a Rookie Team of the Year. IF someone whould chime in with their qualifications that would help.

Quoted from another site. These are the Rules for NEBS Rookie of the year.

"The rules are:

if a new team competed in 2 or less contests last year and it was
their first year competing they qualify for rookie team this year if
they compete in 3 or more contests. Rookie TOY only used the team top
3 contests not top 5 like regular TOY."

Back