What is a "Rookie" ????

These are the things we were hashing out.. and iM looking for more thoughts. Alot of good new points here, others were already brought up at the first meeting.

What if a 'rookie' has to register as a 'rookie' to be considered in the award process.
when they decide to form a team, register with KCBS as a rookie team, and then KCBS tracks the team..

I think a system like that will have to be part honor system, and part integrity.. would anyone here, who is known on the circuit register themself as a rookie, if they dont believe they are.? Can you imagine if me, or plowboys, ho-de-do's or BadBones, or any of those teams that have been seen out there decide to try to circumvent the system. I dont think that would happen..

Now.. what about a person who has cooked on an extremely successful team.. for 2-3-4 years.. Never a head cook, but always present on the team.. what happens when they form thir own team? are they rookies? 3-4 years. 20-30-40 contests under the belt. But now just becase they are head cooks, are they still rookies??

Alot of room here for what ifs, and more room for speculation. We would like to figure out something that can work, be fair, and be enforcable.

That's the key.
If you want to be in consideration for Rookie of the Year, you gotta register as per the to be determined qualifications.
The honor system should always be in place at all levels in my opinion.
The criteria determined by the committee would probably exclude the "seasoned vet" who participated as a team member; to be fair to a true rookie, that experience should be factored out.
This is all predicated on the concept of Rookie of the Year.
Is the intent to reward a true newcomer and someone who never played before and just started?

I'd like the R&D team to focus their talents on more pressing issues :biggrin:

Yeah - It's 10 now for TOY... Since that's so high for established teams and not even remotely close to the # of contests an average established team cooks, might as well make a rookie have to do 5-8 events to qualify for rookie awards which is above the # of how many a rookie team typically does as well. :roll:

Nice idea, but so many things need to be figured out...

How do you even make rookie teams aware of the program ? Many rookie teams would be local guys maybe not even that familiar with how deep and extensive the comp circuit can be.

That part about being part of a long time team but never the head cook, will be impossible to solve. Too hard to say Joey Bagodonuts has been a teammate for X years and now went out on his own and does well so he's not a rookie... There's no track record to know about Joey Bagodonuts even existing in the eyes of KCBS until he registered.

Would also seem odd that KCBS would try to track/register official teams for rookies yet there is no formal process in place to track existing teams other than the name on a contest scoresheet or when a new member enrolls with KCBS.

for example - I first signed up with KCBS at judges class.. At the time I did not have a team name so that was blank on my application. I doubt there is anywhere on file that Vinny Ferraiuolo is now tied to Bad Bones BBQ Crew in an official way.

Seriously, when are they gonna give you the important stuff to tackle :biggrin:

Just thinking out loud here. If a team or a head cook wants to be considered for ROY then they would need to summit a application. At this time they would be evaluated to see if they qualify for an agreed upon rookie status. I was thinking this might be an easier way to organize a list of rookies and keep track of them. Once they have ran for ROY once they are no longer eligible. Maybe let them run for ROY during the first three years of competing. They can decide if it's the first, second, or the third year they run for ROY.

Cheers,

Nate

Just my $.02

OK...here is my 2 cents FWIW.
Take a cherry backyard bbq wannabee cooker. Send him to his first sanctioned KCBS contest.
He grabs some of his best buds. They know there going up against some huge.......stiff competition, yet have the man units to let alone just decide to go. Off they go...........They are scared to death.
They have no farking idea what to expect, yet they man/women up and just say were gonna do it. They already have tasted defeat, yet there still going.
They take a walk in 3rd place. OMG................
Thats what a rookie is to me. Somebody who is gutsy enough to just toss their hat into the ring, knowing that there ass is gonna be handed to them in a heartbeat.
I know what the defination of a rookie is..............It happened to us.

Last edited:
Just a reminder.........................

KCBS recommends that first time cooks not enter a full contest, rather only enter 1 or 2 entries in their first contest. I've read it in the Bullsheet at least once, if not twice. This recommendation needs to be addressed in the ROY requirements, IMHO.

My understanding that to be a rookie it implies that you have cooked up to 3 events. We cooked Highland NY grilling and BBQ in '06 and Lime Rock BBQ in '07... We competed in NEBS and KCBS... as I see it we are no longer rookie's having competed in 3 events as a team... since then I mentored with Purple Turtles and cooked 7 more events including the American Royal Invitational and Open... I don't think I am rookie material...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Primal Meat Smokers

Purple Turtle Mentoree

Maybe its a way to encourage folks to compete. Newcomers or experienced cooks alike.

My first contest, i had 17 years experience cooking, but NON competing. Everyone here knows how to cook, but the biggest part of the equation at a contest, is knowing how to compete. So experience is irrelevant to a good extent. I think ROY would be incentive for folks to come out and compete.

Maybe its a way to encourage folks to compete. Newcomers or experienced cooks alike.

How would KCBS make this program known to potential competitors ?

Will it be highlighted on the website ? Talked about in the judging classes ? Called out at award ceremonies at all KCBS contests ?

Great... get a team excited about TOY doing 2-3 contests, then the next year tell them they must do 10+ to be eligible for established team rankings (can you tell I'm P.O.'d about that and never got more than 2 responses from BOD members on why this change was made ? )

were not at that point yet.. first we're trying to figure out if its feasible..

Thats why were called RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT...... Mr. go find more important stuff to do Sourpuss. :wink::mrgreen::cool:

Take a cherry backyard bbq wannabee cooker. Send him to his first sanctioned KCBS contest.
He grabs some of his best buds. They know there going up against some huge.......stiff competition, yet have the man units to let alone just decide to go. Off they go...........They are scared to death.
They have no farking idea what to expect, yet they man/women up and just say were gonna do it. They already have tasted defeat, yet there still going.
Thats what a rookie is to me. Somebody who is gutsy enough to just toss their hat into the ring, knowing that there ass is gonna be handed to them in a heartbeat.

u mean like this? Parrothead and I.. first contest.. 1st chx, 1st ribs, 3rd brisket, 5th pork.

Never competed, but we have been cooking for 15-20 years. We were rookies? yes, because we never competed before.

Now, we got bit by the bug at this contest.. but if there was a ROY carrot dangling out there.. it would definitely be incentive to do it again.

Attachments

• DSCN1117.JPG
    DSCN1117.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 86
u mean like this? Parrothead and I.. first contest.. 1st chx, 1st ribs, 3rd brisket, 5th pork.

Never competed, but we have been cooking for 15-20 years. We were rookies? yes, because we never competed before.

Now, we got bit by the bug at this contest.. but if there was a ROY carrot dangling out there.. it would definitely be incentive to do it again.

Yes..........Chit yes...........hell yes...............
That to me is what a rookie is.

I didnt have you 2 folks years of Q, but I/we had a couple years under our belt feeding our neighbors.
We got gutsy, leaped into the game and we took a walk.
We had no freakin idea as what to expect other than total defeat.

What you and Parrothead did..........is definately a rookie to me.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Rookie is a term for a person who is in their first year of play of their sport and has little or no professional experience. The term also has the more general meaning of anyone new to a profession, training or activity (e.g. rookie cop, rookie pilot, as a synonym for recruit), or occasionally to a freshman (especially in athletic teams).
Rookies (in the sporting sense) can be submitted to hazing as a pledge in some clubs.
The term rookie has been modified in some online communities and is often referred to as simply rook, as a synonym for newbie.
In most sports there are traditions in which rookies must do things or tricks are played on them. Some examples in baseball include players having to dress up in strange costumes, or getting hit in the face with a cream pie.
Generally, a safe definition of rookie card is any trading card manufactured prior to or during an athlete's rookie year. This can come in a variety of formats including packs, boxes, sets, magazines, and more.
In NASCAR, rookies are symbolized by a yellow stripe on the rear bumper of the car that is placed on both sides of the name or symbol of the manufacturer of the car.
To qualify as a rookie in Major League Baseball, a player has to have fewer than 130 at bats or 50 innings pitched in the majors, and 45 days on the active rosters of major league clubs (excluding time on the disabled list or any time after rosters are expanded on September 1st)

[edit]

Preach it Brother! That's where I'm at! Except we have'nt quite made it to the sactioned event. Been involved in a couple Backyard's but how you described it is how we approached the cook.

My dad and brother smoked one summer, I thought what is this all about I am not doing this. 14 hrs and woopie you get to eat meat. Then I got tired of hearing about it, and decided yeah I will do it, I have nothing else to do today. I got hooked, I spend much of the day thinking about it. They did a competition, I had to work so I couldn't go.

The next competition they went to was Berks, my first. We got second chicken. We are so proud, we pass the trophy off between us. I know I am a rookie, and I do not mind it one bit. I get all the help/advise I need, and learn everytime I get on here and every event.

This would be my definition of a rookie. It sums up our first experience and comp(KCBS or otherwise) last year. I know I was scared to death going in.....I think we all were. We left feeling like we were on cloud 9.

i am a rookie. never competed. never helped on a team. only been to one competition (spectator on friday) and it wasn't sanctioned.

^ THAT is a rookie.

Back