What heat resistant gloves do you use for holding hot food!

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
I use brown jersey gloves under surgical gloves when cooking cue, but my wife wants to replace the worn out silicone gloves that came with the showtime grill. She uses them in the kitchen and they don’t sell those gloves anymore. I picked up a pair of RAPICCA BBQ Gloves from Amazon and when we opened them today they had a strong putrid chemical smell that gave me an immediate headache. They were returned immediately.

I’m curious what gloves you use for holding hot food?

Last edited:
Look at this website: http://www.texasbbqrub.com/bbqgloves.htm

I use the rubber gloves to handle hot food. They're thick enough that the heat doesn't come through the gloves and I wash them off in the kitchen sink with dish detergent. A quick rinse with water and they're ready to use again. They do cut down on your dexterity, but for handling hot food on a smoker or grill, they work just fine.

Mom sends me pitt mitts every other year or so. They work great if you don't get them wet, BUT over time the fabric liner separates from the outside woven thingy, particularly if you clean them.
Silicon makes more sense all around, since they're impervious to food and water

I absolutely love these.
Sorry, I don’t know where I got them.
If I had to guess: Lowe’s or Home Depot
Use them and throw them in the laundry
Well insulated

Last edited:
Exactly what he ^^^ said with Ron. I used them to pull my pork too :shock: that way I can make sure nothing undesirable gets in it

I use the rubber gloves to handle hot food. They're thick enough that the heat doesn't come through the gloves and I wash them off in the kitchen sink with dish detergent. A quick rinse with water and they're ready to use again. They do cut down on your dexterity, but for handling hot food on a smoker or grill, they work just fine.

I have two pairs of those. I went through several amazon versions and they all got stiff really quick but these have held up great.

Thanks for all of the responses. As I pointed out in the OP, I use cotton gloves with nitrile over them when doing BBQ. The gloves I’m looking for are to replace the worn out white silicone showtime grill gloves that my wife uses in the kitchen. You can’t get them new anymore.

Another vote for the cotton gloves under nitrile. Much better dexterity than any of the silicone or other heat resistant gloves I've tried. I've reached into. boiling water to grab something, pull pork, lift the turkey out of the pan at Thanksgiving etc. Plenty of protection and almost zero penalty on control

I have two pairs of those. I went through several amazon versions and they all got stiff really quick but these have held up great.

Thanks, I may get her a pair of these. For $12 with free shipping you can’t go wrong.
[UPDATE] For some reason you can’t put them in the cart. Is there a name on the glove so I can get a pair from the manufacturer. I see marking on the glove in the photo below, but I can’t make it out.

DSC01635.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the responses. As I pointed out in the OP, I use cotton gloves with nitrile over them when doing BBQ. The gloves I’m looking for are to replace the worn out white silicone showtime grill gloves that my wife uses in the kitchen. You can’t get them new anymore.
Has she tried the cotton & nitrile glove combo? If so, what doesn't she like about it? Just curious. I use that combo in the kitchen every now and then in addition to que duty.

try the knit cotton gloves. jersey gloves aren't good for anything

try the knit cotton gloves. jersey gloves aren't good for anything

Thanks, but I do have the Hf knit cotton gloves as well. They are thicker than the brown jersey gloves and even the XL Hf nitrile gloves are too tight over them. The jersey gloves are just right for me and I don’t have a problem with the heat.

Has she tried the cotton & nitrile glove combo? If so, what doesn't she like about it? Just curious. I use that combo in the kitchen every now and then in addition to que duty.

I can tell you she isn’t going to do that if she can get another good pair of gloves like the ones she has. She has been using the showtime grill gloves for years and they are great for her. She washes them in the sink and dries them with a towel while they are still on her hands. Then she puts them back in the drawer.

If the $12 gloves that buckhorn Cortez uses work out as good as the showtime gloves did it will probably be better and less expensive in the long run since it would cost a lot more to use disposable nitrile gloves in the time it took for her old gloves to wear out.

I absolutely love these.
Sorry, I don’t know where I got them.
If I had to guess: Lowe’s or Home Depot
Use them and throw them in the laundry
Well insulated

I have a pair from HF, but since I've already used them to root the main sewer line, they will not be touching food

Back