What happened last weekend in McMinnville, TN that warrants a special KCBS BOD meeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish Paul Harvey was around to tell "the rest of the story".
Me too, because I'm sure there is more. I don't think the BOD would have handed down such a stiff sanction if the actions didn't warrant that. I think this goes further than an obscene apron. Remember, some of the BOD were in favor of 5 year ban! Odd thing is, there were 32 teams there, but the only ones we have heard from were the two teams sanctioned. Surely, out of the other 30 teams, someone saw the whole thing go down. As a result of less than the whole story being told, the BOD is taking the hit for being the bad guy in this situation. The BOD has taken the position not to air the dirty laundry of the whole situation. Remember, before the punishment became public, there were cries for the offender to be banned.

So, for the sake of fairness for all involved, I ask that the rest of the story be told by someone that was in attendance. That is the only way this thing will die a much needed death. Otherwise, the proverbial horse flogging will continue ad infinitum. Flame away.

Robert

No, but Jesse is a friend,yeah, I know he's been a good friend of mine
But lately something's changed that ain't hard to define
Jesse wore himself an apron and he got himself a fine

Well, I think this has run it's course.

When the defender of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor for all these pages resorts to Rick Springfield lyrics, the topic has perhaps jumped the shark.

Here's my first, last and only post on this subject:

As others have stated, we can't (and shouldn't) repeat what happens in Executive Session. There were three members who called in and gave their own version of the events. Each of them were asked questions by any Board member who so desired, and each was allowed to explain, answer or state their reasons for what ever was asked.

I was one of the BoD members that was at McMinnville, although I left a couple of hours before the awards program and did not witness any part of the "problems" that came later. I met the two members of the offending team, one for the first time and one for the second time on Friday evening, along with a number of other folks at a pot luck. Neither of them seemed to fit the "Loser" label, at least to me on Friday evening.

That's my total and complete personal knowledge of what went down at the awards and afterwords.

Complaints were made to the Board and the BoD decided to hold a special meeting to handle this. The BoD listened to all who called in, read some letters that were sent to us by various members, and then we debated (argued?) amongst ourselves for about 2 hours until a consensus was reached on all three persons involved.

We came back into public session, motions were made, votes were cast and results were announced. I will say that I voted "No" on the 3 year / 2 year motion but that's all that I'm going to say. The Board, by a majority of it's members has spoken.

Now - - - it seems that there are a few suggestions out here for some rule changes. How about writing them down and send them to either the Rules Committee at: rules@kcbs.us or to me at: dcompton@kcbs.us.

Again - this is the only time that I'll publicly post on this mess in McMinnville. And all thoughts are mine alone, not those of the Board or any other member.

OK, For those of you that think the BOD is hiding info behind executive sessions, Heres why. Say something happens at a contest and YOUR wife calls KCBS and complains. If her identity is not kept private, what do you think happens at the next contest you cook? Hey, wasnt YOUR wife the one that got my buddy banned for a year? Now its on at another comp. And things would stop being reported, Exec sessions are for that pourpose.

Secondly, I was at this contest, I stood at the stage while Arlie and DMP went at it, I was at DMPs site, after awards. I was with the reps that spoke to other teams. I can only comment on what I saw, and will in length.

Ill say this much now, lets think of the team that got great calls while sitting in front with his wife, 5 year old, and mother. Covering the little girls eyes, thrilled to win a category and pissed at the same time. Kinda kills some of the thrill of His day dont you think?

i thought dan wrote he wasn't at awards.

damn, whatever happened, i'll miss dan's thoughts on comp BBQ if he leaves for good.

At first i thought the bod was to harsh. Now after reading all of this i applaud them for acting swiftly to resolve this situation. Thank you bod for doing what you do and for taking the heat. Can we get back to bbq now ?

I am not a member of KCBS and after reading all 21 pages of this thread I doubt if I will ever become a member.

Secondly, I was at this contest, I stood at the stage while Arlie and DMP went at it, I was at DMPs site, after awards. I was with the reps that spoke to other teams. I can only comment on what I saw, and will in length.

Ill say this much now, lets think of the team that got great calls while sitting in front with his wife, 5 year old, and mother. Covering the little girls eyes, thrilled to win a category and pissed at the same time. Kinda kills some of the thrill of His day dont you think?

Is this how you do things Doc? You ask other people to say things that you cannot or will not, and when no one does you speak in half truths?

I'm not sure about where you were, but after awards, I was to the side of the "stage" trying to pickup my score sheet and having a conversation with one of the reps about the situation. I was told I would probably get a one year ban for it, and I was asking about if that was so even though I didn't wear the apron. Arlie Bragg interjected himself into the conversation demanding to know who signed the app as head cook, and I believe the entirety of my exact words to him were "My name was listed as head cook, so you're right. I'll suffer the consequences for team behaviour when the BOD meets. Now can I get my score sheet so that I can get back to my site and leave?"

You failed to mention that Arlie said to me that he would physically attack an organizer if he showed up on site to perform his organizer in training duties. You failed to mention that this poor head cook with the five year old daughter is about 300 lb and was heard by multiple people saying that he was going to physically attack and hurt both my teammate and me over the incident. You failed to mention that after I had taken the blame and said I would leave Arlie took it upon himself to confront my teamate, cuss at him, call him names, and prevent us from leaving. All of these acts of threatened violence were known to the board, yet they did nothing. Never mind the fact that they actually allowed Arlie to be a part of punishment deliberations even though he wasn't voting. I'm sure they'll all hide behind executive session privilege about what they knew and why they chose to take action or not, but the above are all facts.

I am on vacation right now, trying to give my children a chance to spend time with their extended family. I had a very hard week and a bad mood leading up to the vacation, and I hoped that I wouldn't have to monitor this thread to make sure that no one was slamming me. It looks like I was wrong. I've tried very hard to take the high road here and not call others' questionable behaviour into question here despite the innuendo. If people really wanna continue talking about this and make me out to be a bad guy, I'll lay all the cards on the table, but I think it's going to get worse for all involved. Is that what any one wants?

dmp

i thought dan wrote he wasn't at awards.

I'm not going to go back and look at exactly what I wrote, but what I believe I said was that I did not walk to awards with my teammate, nor did I sit at awards with him. Awards started early, and he left for them before me. By the time I got there he was at a table without room and I sat at a different table. I was not with him when he accepted the award.

dmp

I am not a member of KCBS and after reading all 21 pages of this thread I doubt if I will ever become a member.

I'm a member. This situation has certainly opened up my eyes more than usual. Good ole boy system is alive and well in the KCBS. No surprise there. Different set of rules for different set of people. Just depends how far up the food scale you are. No consistency. I was hoping things might have changed a little over how it was in the past. Guess not.

Don't get me wrong. That team deserved some punishment. That we all agree on. But the punishment does not fit the crime or even come close. It is like executing someone for stealing a pack of gum. Once again, everyone on this thread is in agreement that the team should of been reprimanded/punished.

Thankless job? I serve on a couple of nonprofit boards and I don't need to be thanked. I do it because I want to. Makes me feel good. Many do it for attention, power, makes them feel important, etc.. Whatever motive they have, no one forced them to do it. If they don't like it., then quit. There will be plenty who will gladly take their place.

Dmp, keep your head up. Sad you were used as an example unfairly. Shame on the board for killing this team.

I'm a member. This situation has certainly opened up my eyes more than usual. Good ole boy system is alive and well in the KCBS. No surprise there. Different set of rules for different set of people. Just depends how far up the food scale you are. No consistency. I was hoping things might have changed a little over how it was in the past. Guess not.

Don't get me wrong. That team deserved some punishment. That we all agree on. But the punishment does not fit the crime or even come close. It is like executing someone for stealing a pack of gum. Once again, everyone on this thread is in agreement that should of been reprimanded.

Thankless job? I serve on a couple of nonprofit boards and I don't need to be thanked. I do it because I want to. Makes me feel good. Many do it for attention, power, makes them feel important, etc.. Whatever motive they have, no one forced them to do it. If they don't like it., then quit. There will be plenty who will gladly take their place.

Dmp, keep your head up. Sad you were used as an example unfairly. Shame on the board for killing this team.

As my buddy Dave Hester would say,Yuuuup !

Why if you dont mind me asking?

Read this thread, infighting, playing of favorites, good old boys network, uneven handling of rules, it's who you know in how you will be treated. Rules applied differently for each offense. Judges dealt with differently than teams. No problem with suggestive team names. That said after reading all 21 pages the punishment way too harsh. Suspend for the rest of this year and 2 years probation would have sent a clear message that this will not be tolerated.

We have gone from someone wearing what was purported to be a "statue of David" apron to going up on stage with a penis apron in all it giant proportions to accept an award from the Mayor of McMinnville at the Civic Center at what was billed as a family affair, to bashing the BOD, to bashing Arlie. What did I miss.

They, the team, screwed up; they, the team, was affored the opportunity to speak to the BOD to present their side and to answer questions; they, the team, got punished by a super majority of the BOD only after several hours of debate and deliberation; they, the team, accepted the punishment; they, the team, are out for three years with an additional two years of probation; they, the team, can petition the BOD for reconsideration at a future date.

Most of us felt the crime did not fit the punishment but, as more little tid bits are revealed, the talk of a permanent ban by the BOD may have not been that far out of line.

. What did I miss.

You're mis-stating some facts. A very early post in the thread indicated that the apron had genitalia on it. Some one mentioned a David apron off topic and a few ppl now want to accuse me of claiming that's what it was. I never said that. As for bashing Arlie, please look back at the first person in this thread to mention him. 7 on the KCBS BOD is not a "super majority."

Actually, I mis-interpeted the apron because I did not believe that anyone in their right mind would wear such a thing in public unless they were drunk, blitzed or zoned.

Second, of the 11 people voting (the president only votes in case of a tie and we don't know her position on this vote), two abstained, two voted no and seven votes yes. A supermajority is normally defined as 2/3rd of thoes voting. If we count the abstentions, then 7.333 votes are needed to be a supermajority, if we don't, then only six would be needed to have a supermajority. Either way a lot of the people that we elected, made their desires known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back