What happened in Myrtle Beach?

sadly all we can do is joke about it. We all know that there will be zero penalties for any of the reps involved in this fiasco that cost several teams an honest shot at winning. I wonder what the rep was doing instead of properly handling turn ins? scanning the crowd for offensive t-shirts?

Give the reps a break. It was probably a volunteer or table captain that dropped a tray. However there are rules for the reps to follow if I box or boxes are dropped and spill open. The meat is not put back in the box for judging. Hopefully the bod will discuss this problem and take appropriate actions.

Give the reps a break. It was probably a volunteer or table captain that dropped a tray. However there are rules for the reps to follow if I box or boxes are dropped and spill open. The meat is not put back in the box for judging. Hopefully the bod will discuss this problem and take appropriate actions.

Did you listen to the bbq superstars radio clip from about the contests?

also check out who was the rep. I really doubt the board does anything. which brings up the question, why are board members getting paid to rep contests?

2 chicken boxes with the same number. Had to go and ask the teams to ID their box just a few minutes before rib turn in.

Killer B's was told he didnt turn in a pork box, again it was numbered wrong.

No one was there to take rib boxes when the window opened. Boxes stacked on the turn in table for 15 minutes before heading back into the tent.

besides all the belly aching about power, water, and mud the issues for me seem to be that turn ins were poorly handled.

It's a long 2 hours of typical cook complaining, the KCBS stuff was right at the 10 minute mark and on.

It seemed that the organizers were overwhelmed. We didn't know anything about giving away food to the public, so from about 11:30 until 1, we had to tell about 500 people that we didn't have any samples, and wouldn't until 1, and even then we wouldn't have much. I felt bad for the public as well since I'm sure we weren't the only ones that had to do this, and they had just paid $10 to get samples from all of the teams. We also got a spot close to the baseball parking lot, and just carried all of our stuff out of there as soon as turn-ins were over, and left right after awards. I really hate that this one wasn't better as it is by far the closest one to us.

Wait. Let me understand this. The organizer sold tickets to the crowd for $10 to "get samples from all the teams"? At a KCBS cookoff?

Were the teams informed? Were they required to cook extra? For that matter, were their reimbursements provided?

If not, I can't think of a BBQ cookoff where this would've worked. This is different from having the teams compete in a blind peoples choice and sell tickets to judge. This is more like a chili cookoff, and BBQ cookoffs ain't chili cookoffs!

I can imagine that as a crowd person I'd have been awefully mad if they'd sold me a $10 ticket and didn't get to "eat around".

Box numbers. When the boxes are delivered the team needs to check to ensure all their boxes have the same number. Yes the reps messed up but the double check is the team. 2 mistakes don't make it right but sharing blame is appropriate here. I'd like to hear more on the missing pork box.

As far as giving way food I totally agree with lake dogs. I'm sure the bod will be discussing this contest at the September meeting probably in executive session. Sounds like many problems. I'd like to know how much the reps knew about giving way free food.

Box numbers. When the boxes are delivered the team needs to check to ensure all their boxes have the same number. Yes the reps messed up but the double check is the team. 2 mistakes don't make it right but sharing blame is appropriate here. I'd like to hear more on the missing pork box.

As far as giving way food I totally agree with lake dogs. I'm sure the bod will be discussing this contest at the September meeting probably in executive session. Sounds like many problems. I'd like to know how much the reps knew about giving way free food.

From Jim Burg's show, it sounds like in the chicken instance, one team was given a # early on friday, and then a late entry team came in at 10pm on friday night and was given the same # on their boxes.

In Jim's Pork box, the incorrect ALTERNATE number was placed on the box behind the turn in table by the Reps.

All and all, sounds like a mis-managed competition. It makes you appreciate the hard work that people like Jane Tomlin and Randall Bowman put into their competitions.

It also makes you appreciate great Reps like the Braziers and Polands who put their best effort into being Reps. I have no worries about our boxes hitting the same tables or mis numbering when they are the Reps.

Wait. Let me understand this. The organizer sold tickets to the crowd for $10 to "get samples from all the teams"? At a KCBS cookoff?

Were the teams informed? Were they required to cook extra? For that matter, were their reimbursements provided?

If not, I can't think of a BBQ cookoff where this would've worked. This is different from having the teams compete in a blind peoples choice and sell tickets to judge. This is more like a chili cookoff, and BBQ cookoffs ain't chili cookoffs!

I can imagine that as a crowd person I'd have been awefully mad if they'd sold me a $10 ticket and didn't get to "eat around".

I signed up late, so maybe there was some communication about this prior to me signing up, I don't know. All I know is that people started showing up about 11:30 looking for a sample of pork. About 12, shriners started showing up offering to help us hand out our samples. We told them we didn't have any and wouldn't have any until about 1. Evedently they gave out some butts to teams on Friday night to cook, but never got around to us. Since it was for charity and I had cooked extras, I gave out what we had, but it wasn't a lot.

I felt like this whole event was looked at by the organizer as a chance to make some money for charity, like a bake sale or golf tournament, and the organizers didn't really understand that cook teams take this serious regardless of the benefactor. It didn't seem like ill-intent, just lack of understanding of the size and importance to teams of the event they were running. All that said, I might speak differently if my number was given out twice or my boxes dropped.

Back