What do you use at a comp?

Do you make you own or use store bought rubs and sauces?

• Store Bought

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • Make then all myself

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I use both hoemade and store bought.

Votes: 85 51.8%

• Total voters
Commercial rubs often can control their grind and use fresher spices than available to most. Its hard to beat what goes into a good commercial rub.

As a professional sales person for the world's leading office furniture company, I have seldom scene such a beautiful example of "self serving promotion"!

Seriously folks, we compete and use commercial and doctor sauces/rubs and only use Plowboys on our chicken.

It took me years to develope a rub that was not only good on the meat, but was also a perfect match for the sauce. Nothing about this is easy and there has been alot of Rub and BBQ Sauce that has hit the trash in the last 2 years. A sauce and spice maker make very little money from selling their product. It is the thrill of seeing it on the store shelves and hearing from the people who are winning big with your efforts that is the reward.

Spice

We developed our own pork and chicken rub, and it has been succesful. We now have a commercial blender make it for our own use in the catering business because it is easier, cheaper, and more consistent. We have tried to sell it locally, and it's not worth the effort.

We use a blend of 2 commercial rubs on our brisket, with a little something extra thrown in for good measure.

Congrats,

You have discovered the "Magic Twanger" for comp BBQ down here :lol:

As you know, the cook still has to do his job, but Kevin takes care of the sauce and rub part of the process perfectly!
Good luck on beating Kevin----I will die a happy cooker if I ever can.
Even on one meat at one event. :oops: :oops:

Good luck!

TIM

You it actually did work. I showed up at the contest and walked over to kevin and bought my rib and beef rub and a couple bottles of sauce and I'll be darned if I didnt finish first in ribs that day. I wasnt at Kevin's table so I didnt really beat him, but I certainly was happy with the rubs and sauces I used. It was my first time taking first in a meat category and he got a customer for life.

We developed our own pork and chicken rub, and it has been succesful. We now have a commercial blender make it for our own use in the catering business because it is easier, cheaper, and more consistent. We have tried to sell it locally, and it's not worth the effort.

We use a blend of 2 commercial rubs on our brisket, with a little something extra thrown in for good measure.

You have never had Willy B sell your rubs. At the 2006 BBQ on the River Contest, Willy B sold $400 worth of our rubs in 1 hour for us. Our rub went for $5.00 per bottle. It was a sight to behold. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. I was having difficulty breathing I was laughing so hard.

Brisket results

1 - 1st place
3 - 2nd place
1 - 3rd place
1 - 5th place

Just finished 2nd year of competing.

I use my own rub but have recently switched to doctored sauce that works well with my rub.

I also like that lots of folks are using store bought sauces, but most folks seem to fail to actually list the name of the sauce...it must have just slipped their mind. I am sure that the folks whose products they are using wouldnt mind the free adverstising...

oh and I will follow my own advice and mention that I have been testing butcher's bbq injection at the house and will certainly be using it in comps. I find that it certianly helps out my brisket.

I buy Texas BBQ Rub by volume for my catering business and make and buy sauces. I just got some butchers also just waiting for my new BWS Competitor to try it in.

Butchers

I'm not a big caterer (well, I'm big, but my business is not huge). Anyway, I cooked approximately 400 briskets last year, and tried butchers late in the year. My long term customers got some of that brisket, and swore it was the best they had ever had! I would have to agree that is was probably top 3 ever, and I try every round.

This year for our first comp I'm gonna try "Crimson Smoke's" BBQ Rub on my ribs and butts. Not sure what's in it...or where he gets it...but it's the best I've tasted. Thanks Wesley! :p

we use doctored BBQ sauce from a commercial, we tried a zillion recipes and just easier to open a bottle add what we want. Spice rub we make before we head out to comps so its always ground fresh. cost wise spice rub or sauce sometimes seems cheaper to doctor or whatnot then trying to do your own. i know our spice rub can get costly just bbq at home. but its also part of what we have to do for what we enjoy to do.

We make our sauce in 1 1/2 gallon batches, and can it in 1 pint mason jars. We can open one and doctor it to our tastes that day. Still experimenting with the sauces!

Back