What are you getting for whole Butts?

B

Bearly Blazin'

I ran across a guy a few weeks ago selling Boston Butt's for $20. He just set up on the side of the road with his pit. I bought one and it was pretty good. No seasoning at all! I thought most people were getting more these day's for Butt's. What's the going rate in your area?

They're on sale here for $1.17/lb raw. That's ~$9.00 per butt. Can't imagine he's making much $$$ @ $20 unless he's getting them from the rendering plant... :bolt:

If he getting them for 12 buck he making 8 bucks a butt if he sell enough he can make money.But need to sell a good volume

Well turns out the guy I spoke of is the new welding teacher in our county Trade School (I know they have a new name for them these day's but that's what it was when I was in high school). I drive a school bus and also drive the Trade School route twice a day. I had taken him my plans for a new smoker and realized it was the same guy.

After thinking about it I believe he is selling a half butt rather than a whole but. Not sure. It was on the small side though.

$10 per lb and you're still better off selling it by the sandwich for $5 with 4 oz. serving. We stopped selling whole butts.

I had a chance to talk to the man who was selling Butt's for $20 yesterday. And yes they are half butt's. So he is getting $40 per butt. So he is making some money. I have been asking around in my area and most Butt sales are going for about $30. We have a lot of fund raisers in our area who cook Boston Butt's and sale them so that pretty much set's the price. I checked with a local "Hole in the Wall" BBQ joint and they are getting a little over $10 a pound.

Thanks for all the input guy's. I am thinking about starting to sell BBQ but have not decided if I want to keep it small and set up on the road side or not.

Back