What 10 Hours @ 235 Will Get You In A Brisket

The reason I asked was that it looked like a flat, not a whole brisket and I was just curious.

Regarding the foil, does Myron have a Reynolds Wrap sponsorship? Foiling whole hog bbq just doesn't sound right to me since it has the skin on it. Anyway, I wondered what you meant by foiling to "save the bark" when you were cooking low-n-slow. Regarding temps though, not only will there always be an ongoing debate between the merits of fast and slow bbq methods, there's the level of importance we put on maintaining a constant temp. I've heard claims of "shocking the meat" with temp fluctuations, but I read a curious book by a guy named Gary Wiviott (Low and Slow) that seemed to claim that bbq cooked at constant low-n-slow temps wouldn't have as good bark as bbq cooked with a few moderate temp spikes. I know this sounds crazy to ya, but what evidence would you give for a constant 235* being such a vital component to a good brisket? Points are the most forgiving part, anyway.

I appreciate the reply, and will probably eventually give the Butcher's a try. As much as I don't like messing with injections, I do see the need for it to get consistantly flavorful briskets.

That cook occurred a week before Halloween, when it was still warm here in MD.

The thread got revived because someone questioned whether you could do a brisket like that on a kettle (and as a link to a knockoff injection).

Thanks!
Halloween cook:confused:That explains why there's no BW Chubby:becky: Looks real good btcg. Is that a 5 cfm fan on the nano?

The reason I asked was that it looked like a flat, not a whole brisket and I was just curious.

Regarding the foil, does Myron have a Reynolds Wrap sponsorship? Foiling whole hog bbq just doesn't sound right to me since it has the skin on it. Anyway, I wondered what you meant by foiling to "save the bark" when you were cooking low-n-slow. Regarding temps though, not only will there always be an ongoing debate between the merits of fast and slow bbq methods, there's the level of importance we put on maintaining a constant temp. I've heard claims of "shocking the meat" with temp fluctuations, but I read a curious book by a guy named Gary Wiviott (Low and Slow) that seemed to claim that bbq cooked at constant low-n-slow temps wouldn't have as good bark as bbq cooked with a few moderate temp spikes. I know this sounds crazy to ya, but what evidence would you give for a constant 235* being such a vital component to a good brisket? Points are the most forgiving part, anyway.

I appreciate the reply, and will probably eventually give the Butcher's a try. As much as I don't like messing with injections, I do see the need for it to get consistantly flavorful briskets.

That cook was a while ago, and I'm forced to rely on memory. Sorry!

As to Myron & a foil sponsorship? I doubt it. Ask him. His site his:

http://jacksoldsouth.com

His reasoning for foiling the hog is to protect the skin, as you want it crispy but not hardened. I've tasted his work. I can tell you, he's right: there was plenty of smokey flavor.

As to evidence... how's this:

5.jpg

That was done low & slow last saturday @ 26 degree temps (and lower) . Pretty fair bark. Another half-hour would have been better, but it was 1:30 am, and I still needed to rest it before putting it in the fridge.

That's a great looking brisket! I can almost taste it! I guess I'm going shopping tomorrow! I'm also sold on low and slow, and use the CyberQ II to make things easier. BBQ Guru make a terrific product and Fred and Bob over there are great guys and great competitors. I often run into them at comps and make sure I spend some time in their camp when I do.

That's a great looking brisket! I can almost taste it! I guess I'm going shopping tomorrow! I'm also sold on low and slow, and use the CyberQ II to make things easier. BBQ Guru make a terrific product and Fred and Bob over there are great guys and great competitors. I often run into them at comps and make sure I spend some time in their camp when I do.

Thank you sir! Coming from you, that's a real compliment.

Love BBQ Guru's stuff. I remember the episode where they made a trip to Lee Ann's to fix her Guru (she didn't have the fan plugged in all the way). They do seem like very nice people.

The injection, to me, is critical. I hit it with as much as it can take (Myron's advice: the more you get in it, the more flavor you'll have), and let it marinade at least, overnight.

I was a hot & fast guy, but with the results I'm getting these days, it's low & slow for me.

Sorry Myron!

Ok, so let the injection and briskie get to room temp, inject LOTS, then to the fridge for overnight? Do you wrap it or just leave in a pan?

Thanks for all of the info on this thread btcg!

Ok, so let the injection and briskie get to room temp, inject LOTS, then to the fridge for overnight? Do you wrap it or just leave in a pan?

Thanks for all of the info on this thread btcg!

Place the brisket in a plastic bag... the clear gallon type work well. Place that in a pan, just to be safe. You don't need a fridge mess, eh?

Glad to help.

yo btcg!

Just curious, from the looks of your pics, it looks like you've pulled them apart with the grain, are you pulling your briskie or slicing it across the grain? Are the pics with the grain just to show tenderness?

I'll vouch for the butcher's injection!! Great stuff! I tried all kinds of things before getting my hands on butchers - I won't cook one without injecting it with butchers now!! :thumb:
It's also worth mentioning that the injection "sets up" after a few hours of mixing/before injecting. Letting it set for a few hours helps it thicken slightly and I think the phosphates in it absorb more water.

Great lookin briskies BTW!

yo btcg!

Just curious, from the looks of your pics, it looks like you've pulled them apart with the grain, are you pulling your briskie or slicing it across the grain? Are the pics with the grain just to show tenderness?

I'll vouch for the butcher's injection!! Great stuff! I tried all kinds of things before getting my hands on butchers - I won't cook one without injecting it with butchers now!! :thumb:
It's also worth mentioning that the injection "sets up" after a few hours of mixing/before injecting. Letting it set for a few hours helps it thicken slightly and I think the phosphates in it absorb more water.

Great lookin briskies BTW!

I slice against the grain, but what you see in those pictures is the brisket before slicing. They were so tender as to come apart just in handling them.

Now, if I'm in a comp, I'm gonna use a large spatula and get under them to move em, so as to ensure they can be sliced.

But these were for the fam, so there was no need in getting another kitchen tool dirty.

And, I like that they came out so tender that they can actually be pulled, like a butt, and have the juiciness that doesn't require an au jus.

Might be a dumb question, but just what type of flavor does a injection of Butchers (or similar) impart on a brisket? Does it give it a beefier flavor? I've been pretty happy with most of my briskets w/out injecting, but I think it's time to try it out. Thanks. Brisket looks awesome BTW.

Back