What’s This New Cowboy Lump Made With?

Well, the last few bags of Royal Oak I've had have been absolute cr@p. If I didn't know better, I would've said it was Cowboy -- the old stuff anyway. That pic above is like no other Cowboy lump I have ever seen and I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks so much for posting. :thumb:

I bought a half-dozen bags of RO American at WallyWorld a while back, and they've all been really good so far-no rocks, insulation, square crap, etc. I'll have to try some more Cowboy when I run out of RO-all the Cowboy I've used in the past looked like construction site debris. I tried another brand of lump that I found at the grocery store, and it had an average of ten rocks per bag, and was mostly tiny little pieces. Hopefully. Cowboy has listened and learned.

The last two bags of Cowboy I bought were terrible. They ran the overnight cook, but it was then unable to get the temps up over 350 to make something else. I tried this a few different times. The amount of ash is horrendous. They were purchased back in July and the contents looked about the same, lots of big branches. I got them out of convenience, they were at a nearby Lowes. I think I'm sworn off Cowboy for good now.

My usual favorite is Wiked Good, but I recently tried a Natures Own, which has been fantastic, very little ash, lights easily.

Attachments

• NaturesOwn.jpg
    NaturesOwn.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 182
Well, I may have to scout it out and try Cowboy again. Like everyone else, it is available everywhere but past experience with pieces of tongue and groove flooring really got me when it also looked like they had a finish on them! Yummy polyurethane. We have our annual game cookout next weekend before opening day of bow season so I think I'll look for the new bag and try it again.

Well, I may have to scout it out and try Cowboy again. Like everyone else, it is available everywhere but past experience with pieces of tongue and groove flooring really got me when it also looked like they had a finish on them! Yummy polyurethane.
I've seen that in Cowboy as well, along with door/window casing! They should put on the bag "If your bbq fails, it also doubles as trim for your home":-D

I tried using Cowboy Charcoal once. When I poured it into the trays I saw that my bag was about 50% of what looked like plywood scrap. Thankfully I had some Kingsford to fall back on.

I'll never buy Cowboy again and take another chance.

Just my Personal Opinion.

I know I’ll get about 50 posts on how bad this stuff is but again, it changed about a year ago.

You're almost there.:crazy:

I'm glad to hear it's improved, might try a bag this week just to see. It's certainly cheap and prevalent around here.

Well, I tried the new Cowboy at the game cookout. It did not have any furniture or house parts in it this time. I did see how it is longer lasting though... There were four inch round logs in the bag, LOL! It did burn longer but jeez, took a while to get it going. Think I'll stick to the Royal and Humpheys.

Well that'd be great if it's good stuff now, 'cause it sure is readily available.

Has anyone used Big Green Egg lump? I am sure it is expensive. Worth it?

I'm pretty sure it's made by Royal Oak. I've heard it's decent, although if I'm paying a premium for lump it's gonna be Wicked Good.

I bought my first bag of Cowboy against my own will on Friday night. Wally world was out of RO and Home Depot was the only place open. I won't be going back for more any time soon. There wasn't any scrap wood in the bag, but there were no large chunks whatsoever, and a 1/4 of the bag was literally dust. It seemed to burn OK, but unless I'm in a pinch again, no more Cowboy for me. For the record my bag said Now Longer Lasting.

Back