Weight needed to hold down canopy

Spent last Sat. night in Vegas. The wind was howling all night long. The drive home yesterday was brutal also. I'll be taking the EZ-Up sandbags and 5 gallon buckets just in case.

Benny

If it gets THAT windy, you might want to take the roof off to save your EZ-Up. Had we done that at Elk Grove a couple years ago, as others did, ours wouldn't have broken. Last thing I want is for my canopy to get loose and hurt someone or their property! We started using 3 foot sections of 4" PVC pipe, filled with concrete with an I-bolt at one end. They seem to work really well, but once you get to near-tornadic wind, I think it's best to pull the roof. (assuming you are able at that point)

Thanks all for the many replies...Looks like I'm going with 3 2.5 gallon containers(75lbs)(duct taped together) per corner... I like the 5 gallon bucket idea but not too keen on trying to track down a water source...(or haul it too far) I have a bum knee just bareley gettin around as it is. Between my truck and trailer I have enough space for the containers. Thanks again...:)

OK

I know Vegas is in the desert, but won't they have a water source for you? Interesting.

I've seen folks make anchor weights out of PVC pipes filled with concrete (looked like they were 4" or 6" pipes and about a foot long). They had an eye-bolt in there so they could use a rope.

OK

I know Vegas is in the desert, but won't they have a water source for you? Interesting.

I've seen folks make anchor weights out of PVC pipes filled with concrete (looked like they were 4" or 6" pipes and about a foot long). They had an eye-bolt in there so they could use a rope.

Water at a competition is a pretty big deal!! I'm sure they'll work out the water/ash/grease/trash plans right after they figure out the intense CRAZY dynamics of publishing a team list :roll:

I've seen those PVC pipe setups, they look pretty good...

They sell sand-filled canopy weights specifically for this purpose. They are tall and thin and don't take up to much room at the corners. In an emergency, remove the fabric cover and let it fly.

kcy-inawb400-L.jpg

Agree that water buckets are the best solution. Fixed weights may look prettier, but a four bucks a gallon for fuel I'll go with the lightweight option all day long.

They sell sand-filled canopy weights specifically for this purpose. They are tall and thin and don't take up to much room at the corners. In an emergency, remove the fabric cover and let it fly.

kcy-inawb400-L.jpg

What he said!!! I got mine from the EZ-UP website..about 39 bucks for two...But they are worth it!!! :thumb:

Had a contest in April that got a little crazy- 5 gallon bucket of water on each leg and they were still lifting. Finally attached a bungee cord to the center, pulled up a chair, and as "SpeedRcer1" noted- "I looked like a kid holding a baloon". All our equipment made it but some teams lost some canopies.

Back