New OKJ RF_Mod Help Needed

Back9Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Hey all

Been away from BBQ game for a while. Since found out wife was prego in July 2017 I up and sold the comp trailer and all the pits leaving myself with just a Traeger 22 and a Komodo Kamado 23. My parents ended up buying house last year and moving into large neighborhood that has a lot of gatherings. Talking with Pops we wanted to get larger enough smoker to do mini hogs for these parties. We were going to throw down the coin and pitmaker/Jambo/etc but went with the OKJ RF for now to see if we use it enough. If we do we will spend the money on better cooker next year.

Looking around I know all the standard mods that I plan to do. Gasket on CC and FB, Charcoal Basket, updated baffle plate but wanted to know if a few others would be beneficial.

1/2" steel in FB - work had a spare piece of 1/2" plate 18x24 laying around. Thought splitting it and welding to bottom and top of FB would help with longevity. Or is there a better place for it?

Lower FB - Seen a lot of talk about lowering FB on offsets. How do you know when to do it etc? Anyone have experience with the OKJ and know if it is needed

Smaller FB/CC opening - Does the opening between FB and CC need to be smaller? Through I read somewhere that it is too big

Smoke stack mod - Does a smoke stack at grate level benefit standard and RF style of offsets? Was looking to up smoke stack from the 3" to 4-5" and use manifold style. Feldon calc had 10" length for 5" and 18" length for 4"

I also plan to modify the side to be a large door for primary access and wrap the FB in blanket for efficiency. Figured opening up the top of FB lets a lot of the heat out. Let me know if im off on my thinking on this. I like in Jacksonville, FL where you may only have 10 days of year where drops below 40.

Back