THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scottm4300

Full Fledged Farker
Well, I'm gonna pat myself on the back a little bit here. I cooked for a graduation party of 100 people over the weekend. Seven butts, totaling 50 pounds, 15 racks of spares and 40 pounds of chicken wings - half hot wings, half honey BBQ. It turned out tremendous!! I've never done anything on this scale before, and it was a great success.

Much of the success I owe to the advise I received from a lot of you folks in prepping for this.

So -I thought I'd throw a few photos out there. I don't have any pics of the finished butts, but they fell apart as always and the pulled pork was a huge hit. I laid out 20 different sauces so people could choose what they liked. Here's the pics: seven butts, rubbed upand ready to go; 15 racks of spares, rolled up and in the smoker; cutting up the ribs before serving, and the four trays of wings. It was a great success - and a hell of a learning experience!!

Attachments

• seven_butts.jpg
    seven_butts.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Fifteen_ribs.jpg
    Fifteen_ribs.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 112
  • cutting_ribs.jpg
    cutting_ribs.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 300_wings.jpg
    300_wings.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 110
Outstanding! Given the audience here I feel comfortable saying this,
Man I get excited when I see that much meat! :-D
Bet you had a lot of happy guests!

Crap, I got so excited I just took a swig out of the wrong beer can. Warm and flat, but at least there wasn't a cigarette butt in it. :icon_smil

Man - that food looks great - it must have been a hell of a party!

Great job!! And I thought I was doing good to do one butt, one brisket and two spares at once in my Bandera. I am going to have to try rolling my ribs like that.

MrSmoker said:
Thats awesome Scott,how long did that load of ribs take?

The ribs took about 5 hours. Rolled up, I was able to fit 5 racks per shelf without impeding airflow too much. But I did find out where all the hot spots are in the SKD doing it this way!! I ended up moving things around about halfway through the cook in order to keep things even. I had to do the same thing with the wings.

Nice job, Scott. Rotating the meat around on the shelf and then rotating the shelves is a must when cooking that much in a Dera/SKD.

It looks great!

Great Scott Job! I mean, Great job Scott!!

I'll bet you ended up with a bunch of happy people!

How much did you charge per person for a job like that?

Scott, seeing all that beautiful food.........im gettin a bit teary eyed.
Scott here is a big slap on your shoulder for one hell of a fine job.
Mike

Rolled ribs hmmm.. I like it !!! would like to try a rack or 2 for a snack while im cookin for everyone else. great use of space. thats for sure.

Back