THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

so, what are these problems supposedly reported on the SmokeFire?

Go to YouTube and watch the user videos that popped up in the last few days. Haven’t seen anyone successfully cook anything yet. the comments In the videos also say others are having similar problems on some smoke fire users group. Here is a video from this morning where the controller locked up several hours into the cook. https://youtu.be/zLa9CI03Ii0

The fan is extremely loud. The temps are inconsistent, the controller locks up mid cook. One has ashes blowing all over the place. Several had glow plug problems already. I’m waiting for the first pellet Cooker explosion video.

Chris

Just watched that video. That type of problem is why I got rid of the Traeger. Nothing in my arsenal relies on electricity, computers, or moving parts.

Had way too much meat I threw in the trash trying to depend on it.

Doing the burn in now.
0167767204382fb35aded0f777c46a1c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’m kind of surprised some of these video reviews are having so many issues. Would of thought the mighty weber would have the kinks worked out prior to launch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The horror stories may be true as of now. Looks like a lot of people are having issues. Don’t know if these are software issues, design flaws or what. Have to keep watching as they unfold & how well Weber takes care of these people. Seems like the wind is affecting a lot of these people. Do MAK users have issues with the wind? Just wondered since the vents are similar to the Weber?

That's a bummer!

Not MAK but my Yoder YS640 lives in the mountains and have never had issues either. When it's windy, snowy or cold it just takes longer to smoke the food and I bump up the temps a little bit but that's about it. I don't put on an insulation jacket or anything on it either.

PS Holy moly that fan is loud on the Weber.

The wind has never really affected my Mak, but it’s not nearly as wide as the bigger Weber pellet pooper either. Wind doesn’t seem to affect its ability to hold set temp for me.

If you read the comments the user forgot to confirm the temp setting so the fan was blowing hard trying to keep the temp at 500. My Pellet Pro doesn't make me confirm, just bump temp and it sets it. Seems like this would be an issue until you get the hang of it.
I didn't know a controller could lock up. Definitely not good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've had the same issues as a lot of other people. My controller keeps locking me out, incorrectly shuts down (freezes and runs like crazy so I have to unplug it), and then won't let me start it back up until I let it cool all the way down and let it reset itself. I can't change the temp from 225 up to say 450 without it locking back up again.

Last edited:
Yep... Needless to say I'm not happy. Besides the bent door, the construction is awesome. I think the whole problem everyone is having has tondo with the phone app and then the algorithms inside the controller.

I see it all the time at work when a new software upgrade goes out and crap breaks or doesn't work correctly. I just figured Weber would have vetted the software better.

I'll say this though. If they fix my problems and get the controller running correctly I'll be happy. Until then I'm frustrated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My videos are up. I’ll edit this post with a link later. My YouTube account is MattPPC

Regardless, I’ve been in touch with Weber corporate and I’m sending it back. I’m not gonna gamble $1300 on them solving the starting issues and grease getting stuck because of ash build up.

I got burnt by Pontiac when I leased the first year GTO and vowed to never buy a first gen anything. Guess who’s the dumb ass for thinking Weber would be any different.

Super disappointed

My videos are up. I’ll edit this post with a link later. My YouTube account is MattPPC

Regardless, I’ve been in touch with Weber corporate and I’m sending it back. I’m not gonna gamble $1300 on them solving the starting issues and grease getting stuck because of ash build up.

I got burnt by Pontiac when I leased the first year GTO and vowed to never buy a first gen anything. Guess who’s the dumb ass for thinking Weber would be any different.

Super disappointed

Link to your latest video. https://youtu.be/CFNUSOmEQIY

That sucks!

Last edited:
Yikes. I’m sorry to see some of you having issues. I’m really surprised the fan is as loud as it is also. Seems terribly loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Photos of issues.
45665a5cf40d5cf76a0e6bd0e720ef57.jpg
bf03dddaea1953f3d2ca52d1326d8134.jpg
af993abd4cbb816ac21d480a0c652786.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

In the first picture, is that the heat diffuser and if it is, is it already warping and cracking? I really hope everything gets figured out resolved.. Good luck

Yeah, after watching the video I feel bad for my fellow brethren. I wonder how many people were in the beta test.

Hope everyone that got one gets the kinks worked out! Remembering the Timberline thread is what made me decide to sit this one out for a while.

Back