Weber Roti...Right one?

Roguejim

is Blowin Smoke!
Is this the right kit for a 55-gallon drum (UDS), and 22.5" kettle?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Onlyfire-Charcoal-Rotisserie-Masterbuilt-Kingsford/dp/B00XMTB1KY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1450554446&sr=8-5&keywords=weber+rotisserie"]Amazon.com : Onlyfire Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie kit for Select 22-1/2 Inch(57CM) Charcoal Grill Models by Weber, Char Broil, Masterbuilt, Napoleon, Kingsford and Others : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AIgM2thgL.@@AMEPARAM@@41AIgM2thgL[/ame]

I'd highly recommend building it right in a drum and getting a quality roti kit like one from onegrill. Plus it'll be a fraction of the price.

If you're dead seat on a ring then this is much better although it's more $. It'll have a higher quality motor that runs on AC/DC and handle more weight...anti back lash gears.

http://cajunbandit.com/rotisserie/22-5/

I'd highly recommend building it right in a drum and getting a quality roti kit like one from onegrill. Plus it'll be a fraction of the price.

If you're dead seat on a ring then this is much better although it's more $. It'll have a higher quality motor that runs on AC/DC and handle more weight...anti back lash gears.

http://cajunbandit.com/rotisserie/22-5/

Wow. I thought it was a Weber...duh.

I'm not dead set on anything, except getting a meat hanging ring from ebijack after Christmas, one that sets just inside the drum. Now, I thought you liked a roti to sit on top of the drum, on a ring, like the one you post pics of?? Maybe I'm wrong again!

Anyway, I don't want two drums, one for smoking/hanging; one for roti (wood burner). It's all going to be in one Big Poppa drum, somehow. I'm leaning towards drilling a hole in one side of the drum, and notching out the top rim on the opposite side, like I've seen people here do for the roti. I don't see why there would be any issue when I put the lid on for smoking on account of the two small holes, which I could cover with magnets if need be. But, I see you have that ring with multiple holes around it, and I don't hear you complaining of temp control issues. So, why would I even need to cover the two small holes on my drum when smoking? Thanks.

EDIT: Just realized I might want to roti on both the drum, and kettle. Seems like a ring is the only way to go, in that case.

Wow. I thought it was a Weber...duh.

I'm not dead set on anything, except getting a meat hanging ring from ebijack after Christmas, one that sets just inside the drum. Now, I thought you liked a roti to sit on top of the drum, on a ring, like the one you post pics of?? Maybe I'm wrong again!

Anyway, I don't want two drums, one for smoking/hanging; one for roti (wood burner). It's all going to be in one Big Poppa drum, somehow. I'm leaning towards drilling a hole in one side of the drum, and notching out the top rim on the opposite side, like I've seen people here do for the roti. I don't see why there would be any issue when I put the lid on for smoking on account of the two small holes, which I could cover with magnets if need be. But, I see you have that ring with multiple holes around it, and I don't hear you complaining of temp control issues. So, why would I even need to cover the two small holes on my drum when smoking? Thanks.

EDIT: Just realized I might want to roti on both the drum, and kettle. Seems like a ring is the only way to go, in that case.
Yep if you want the roti also for a kettle you definitely need the ring for that.

Holes only matter when shutting down. The more air tight the better for fast shutdown. A buddy of mine has BP drum kit and he didn't seal it like i suggested to him now he gets this terrible creosote build up in it constantly. You want your drum to shut down as tight as you can.

Since you're getting your hanging ring from ebijack then of course that pulls out as does mine so you can shut down well.

I don't think those roti rings fit all that well in the drums from what i've seen though. Ninja had to hold his in with a clamp.

Anyways down the road I think you'll see the benefit of having a separate drum for wood burning.

I used a weber roto ring on my super fast build because i had it sitting around already. Should cheaper to make it into the drum if you dont already have the ring.

I have a dedicated Weber for my Weber Roti. Got it at a garage sale for $20.00. :thumb: Like it so far.

If you check the dimensions of the Weber and the one you show from amazon. Check the actual opening/dimension of your drum to see how much of a gap. It is possible the roto ring might just sit perfectly on top of the hanging rack I'm going to make for you.

If you check the dimensions of the Weber and the one you show from amazon. Check the actual opening/dimension of your drum to see how much of a gap. It is possible the roto ring might just sit perfectly on top of the hanging rack I'm going to make for you.

Tom you could make a hanging ring like you did for me and add a notch/hole for a rotisserie...all in one.

I am in the process of adding a roti for use on my weber 22 1/2 kettle. Have narrowed in down to either the Weber brand or the Cajun Bandit, any others I should consider?

Rick

Yep if you want the roti also for a kettle you definitely need the ring for that.

Holes only matter when shutting down. The more air tight the better for fast shutdown. A buddy of mine has BP drum kit and he didn't seal it like i suggested to him now he gets this terrible creosote build up in it constantly. You want your drum to shut down as tight as you can.

Since you're getting your hanging ring from ebijack then of course that pulls out as does mine so you can shut down well.

I don't think those roti rings fit all that well in the drums from what i've seen though. Ninja had to hold his in with a clamp.

Anyways down the road I think you'll see the benefit of having a separate drum for wood burning.

How did you suggest that he seal his BP drum? One option I've considered is to remove the BP coal basket after cooking, and set it in my kettle, and close the lid and vents. Just an option.

I am in the process of adding a roti for use on my weber 22 1/2 kettle. Have narrowed in down to either the Weber brand or the Cajun Bandit, any others I should consider?

Rick
These were the only two most talked about ones. It seems you vant make a wrong choice between the two.

How did you suggest that he seal his BP drum? One option I've considered is to remove the BP coal basket after cooking, and set it in my kettle, and close the lid and vents. Just an option.

There was two things he needed to seal.. One is the bottom vents and the other was fix his top vent because it had broken and was loose and he needed to drill out the bolt and replace it.

This thread has the seal mod in it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181918

Back