Weber OTG Cassoulete Canard. Smoked Duck Legs, Sausage, Belly Ribs and White Bean (Pr0n)

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Made a regional favorite dish today. When I say today, I mean it took all day! I started with 2 duck legs on the OTG low and slow with a touch of olive oil and fresh rosemary and bay leaf. Started at 275 to catch some great smoke flavor and render out the fat.

Added some smoked sausage and a naked fatty rubbed with Bovine Bold.

Weber OTG rolling smoke at about 300 now and adding fuel as needed. Its really windy and near 40°F

2 hours in and the duck legs are looking darn skippy

Resting in a classic earthware dish typically used here for Cassoulete.

Winter storm setting in.

Prepped the onion, carrots, shallots, pork rib and garlic.

Heated up the CI skillet with some rendered duck fat.

Everyone got into the pool.

Naked Fatty's done.

Added the Belly Rib.

Next, the beans and the sausages

Into the clay baking vessel

Add the rest of the bits and it's off to the OTG for a nice long, low, and slow cook.

The final Plating shot will be available tomorrow in the Legs Throwdown Thread. Now it's time for a nice bottle of wine and a cozy fire.

Happy New Year to Y'all.

Jed :dancer:

Fantastic post Jed - just beautiful!

I have yet to try cooking duck - I definitely enjoy eating it, so I guess I need to get on the case!

Looks like it's going great over there - hope to make it out that way sometime!

Fantastic looking meal, Jed! I love duck. It was one of the three entrees I made for Christmas Eve dinner along with cajun salmon, and bacon wrapped filet mignons. Yours looks stellar, and I'm happy to see that Ruprecht is serving you well. Maybe you'll win the companion to it on New Year's Day. :thumb:

Made a regional favorite dish today. When I say today, I mean it took all day! I started with 2 duck legs on the OTG low and slow with a touch of olive oil and fresh rosemary and bay leaf. Started at 275 to catch some great smoke flavor and render out the fat.

Added some smoked sausage and a naked fatty rubbed with Bovine Bold.

Weber OTG rolling smoke at about 300 now and adding fuel as needed. Its really windy and near 40°F

2 hours in and the duck legs are looking darn skippy

Resting in a classic earthware dish typically used here for Cassoulete.

Winter storm setting in.

Prepped the onion, carrots, shallots, pork rib and garlic.

Heated up the CI skillet with some rendered duck fat.

Everyone got into the pool.

Naked Fatty's done.

Added the Belly Rib.

Next, the beans and the sausages

Into the clay baking vessel

Add the rest of the bits and it's off to the OTG for a nice long, low, and slow cook.

The final Plating shot will be available tomorrow in the Legs Throwdown Thread. Now it's time for a nice bottle of wine and a cozy fire.

Happy New Year to Y'all.

Jed :dancer:

Outstanding looking food Jed.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Jed,
Another fine cook as always. What comes forth from the pot later will be something to behold.
Hope you had a Merry Christmas and have a great New Year.
Marty

Oh La La, C'est si bon! A better one, I've not seen! A glass of Pinot, some French Bread, and a good nap! There goes my shot to win the leg Throwdown! Well worth it though.

You do realize you're killing me here. :tsk:

And that is exactly what I'm talking about when I said you can't get good food in Paris. Yeah, you might find something like that, but you couldn't afford it. I bet it also wouldn't taste nearly as good.

Fantastic post Jed - just beautiful!

I have yet to try cooking duck - I definitely enjoy eating it, so I guess I need to get on the case!

Looks like it's going great over there - hope to make it out that way sometime!

Fortunately duck is very common here. Reverse seared like a steak it has a very steak like quality. Try it sometime.

Fantastic looking meal, Jed! I love duck. It was one of the three entrees I made for Christmas Eve dinner along with cajun salmon, and bacon wrapped filet mignons. Yours looks stellar, and I'm happy to see that Ruprecht is serving you well. Maybe you'll win the companion to it on New Year's Day. :thumb:

Thanks Tish for all you've done. Glad to see you around the stable!

Very nice!

I love the use of little foil hats to keep Bigabyte from turning the duck legs into Spamfish!

The meat cutters here are hip to Mr. Biggles evil ways! Thanks Ron!

Jed,
Another fine cook as always. What comes forth from the pot later will be something to behold.
Hope you had a Merry Christmas and have a great New Year.
Marty

Right back at ya Marty!

You do realize you're killing me here. :tsk:

And that is exactly what I'm talking about when I said you can't get good food in Paris. Yeah, you might find something like that, but you couldn't afford it. I bet it also wouldn't taste nearly as good.

We were just in Paris and I gotta say that "The times they are a changing" Lodging is still expensive but we had some damn good meals at understandable prices. Granted we stayed in the 18° and off the tourist routes. Declined the petit déjeuner at our hotel and opted for the street variety café and pain au chocolaté even had the best hamburger since I've been here. There is even a real American BBQ joint, (they were not open for lunch when we went there) called Blues BBQ run by a lady from Texas. You have got to bring the girls to Paris before you go back!!! Let me know, Thalia is an expert in all things Paris!

Back