THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm so jealous! I really want a Performer, really the SS older one. I just dont have a truck. I see some on CL, and I want to get it, but no truck to transport it! :doh:
Where on CL are you seeing them especially the SS ones? I search every day or so with search tempest and as of today i only see one black one that's all the way up in Bakersfield.

Where on CL are you seeing them especially the SS ones? I search every day or so with search tempest and as of today i only see one black one that's all the way up in Bakersfield.

Here is one in San Diego. If I had a truck I'd be all over it. Do you happen to know if these are easy to break down to fit a 4 door car?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/for/2308150344.html

Looks like no gas assist.

Here is one in San Diego. If I had a truck I'd be all over it. Do you happen to know if these are easy to break down to fit a 4 door car?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/for/2308150344.html

Looks like no gas assist.

Thanks I need to check my settings on search tempest as that one didnt come up. I'm not sure about breaking them down I have never owned one or tried doing it.

The only ones I have seen for sale lately always seem to be too far away especially with the price of gas today...farkin gas companies, it was $4.25/gal this morning :mad:. I have an F150 but only get 10mpg around town as I have a big arse camper shell on it...if you find one locally hit me up and I'll try to help ya if its on a weekend.

Thanks I need to check my settings on search tempest as that one didnt come up. I'm not sure about breaking them down I have never owned one or tried doing it.

The only ones I have seen for sale lately always seem to be too far away especially with the price of gas today...farkin gas companies, it was $4.25/gal this morning :mad:. I have an F150 but only get 10mpg around town as I have a big arse camper shell on it...if you find one locally hit me up and I'll try to help ya if its on a weekend.

I use statewidelist. Also you have to do different searches. "weber bbq", weber grill" etc. Thanks for the help! Gas prices are too crazy. It'd probably cost 30 bucks roundtrip to get to Oceanside.

Family portrait
DSCN4785.jpg

When I was a kid 40+ years ago I remember seeing a Weber grill that was mounted into a fireplace some how, I saw this in a Weber brochure. Dad had the original gas kettle grill that Weber made, they had to discontinue that model because idiots would hold their head over the top when they would be lighting it and catch their head on fire. I'm on my 2nd 22.5 and have used my Smokey Joe all over the country when I travel.

Love this! Is the 6" expando on the inside around the edges just to hold the fuel? What is the diameter of your charcoal ring?

Don't tell the drumheads but with something like this I might be able to nix the UDS...not that I'm looking for a reason to do that but if you can easily get 12 hours at 225* .

is this the snake method i was told about? Im supposed to find a link here in this thread bout using a snake method for lighting the coal. I searched for snake and found this

tahnks

Added a new family member with this CL find. $50 for the grill w/ cover, 2 bags of Kingsford, and a few utensils. All it really needs is a new grate and a good cleaning. It has been smashed down a hair on the lid like someone sit on it or something. you can tell a little where the lid vent is. Maybe a little work with a big mallet will help haha

a01cff4f.jpg

Just got my second!

Great topic! Fairly new to grilling on charcoal grills but have done my fair share of propane grilling.

I have two, 79 or earlier 18 inch kettles one is in mint condition, the other is pretty beat up. But I feel it will last longer than a new one!

Pictures to follow!

I also have a booklet that came with the mint condition kettle if any one is interested in it give me a shout. I will throw it away other wise.

I appreciate Weber. My dad has had his 22.5 since the late 70's. It's the 70's brown, groovy. Outside all of the time. Handle rewelded once. Chips on the kettle since it has the thicker coating. He thinks the older the better, and I agree. That kettle holds temp like a champ, even though no thermometer has ever come near it. He was doing turkey for the 4th of July to the point we needed a bouncer. Pops is a wizard of grilled food. His son (me) went off of the reservation as he got older and went from a 18.5 to a fleet of 5. I was starting to get calls for my wife from some lawyer. I edited and now just have a 18 inch SJ platinum, a monster for tailgating; as well as my daily driver, a SS Performer I found on CL for $50. I tore out (and somehow sold on CL) the propane parts. For giggles I made a UDS, my first foray 'outside'. Price appeased the wife. I secretly want a 22.5 WSM. And a 26" Kettle. And a Rancher. And a bigger backyard.

I appreciate Weber. My dad has had his 22.5 since the late 70's. It's the 70's brown, groovy. Outside all of the time. Handle rewelded once. Chips on the kettle since it has the thicker coating. He thinks the older the better, and I agree. That kettle holds temp like a champ, even though no thermometer has ever come near it. He was doing turkey for the 4th of July to the point we needed a bouncer. Pops is a wizard of grilled food. His son (me) went off of the reservation as he got older and went from a 18.5 to a fleet of 5. I was starting to get calls for my wife from some lawyer. I edited and now just have a 18 inch SJ platinum, a monster for tailgating; as well as my daily driver, a SS Performer I found on CL for $50. I tore out (and somehow sold on CL) the propane parts. For giggles I made a UDS, my first foray 'outside'. Price appeased the wife. I secretly want a 22.5 WSM. And a 26" Kettle. And a Rancher. And a bigger backyard.

You might need a new wife when she hears of your plans!:becky:

I took my wife on a night on the town in San Diego for having an excuse to pick up this baby. :crazy: yes I am. I'm going to have to put in some major elbow grease to get her up to tip top shape. I have decided that this will be my dedicated Pizza cooker. :becky: "H" code, 1986.

DSCN4842.jpg

I won a Weber 22.5" kettle in a drawing at a local grocery store some years back. Was a gas grill guy even though mine was a junky sears job that ruined everything I cooked on it. That Weber sat around for a couple of years just gathering dust, until one day I needed to use it on a camping trip. Got the charcoal going and made burgers for the whole family. I could not believe how good they were.

I use that Weber all the time now. Built a UDS too. I do have a Weber Gold gasser, and love them all. But man, chicken grilled for about 2 hours on the kettle with hardwood charcaol and some mesquite hunks........to DIE FOR!

I love that little thing.

Back