THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how can i tell what year my weber is? reason i ask is, when i go to weber to get a replacement handle for my lid it only has one screw directly in the middle. my grill on the other hand has two distinct hole for lid screws. i could always just make a wooden handle in the shop quick i guess but i like buying grilling stuff.

I doubt you'll be able to find replacement wooden handles. But seeing that you mentioned making them check this out http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woodenhandle.html

I don't know why I waited so long...but I finally did a couple of beer can chickens yesterday on one of my Weber kettles. Man...probably the best chicken I ever cooked.

Details that probably matter the most:

two hour salting (quick dry brine per J. Purvience)
cans half full PREHEATED
four small cherry chunks (more for color than the flavor being superior)
two piles of lit briqs (1/2 a weber chimney on each side, in Weber briq holders)
NO gadgets to put the beer cans in (the racks can make the birds too tall)
Vent temps stayed 350*+ (3 med. lumps layed on each briq pile about 35 min in)

These were two Springer mt. Farms (I think that's the brand, at least) 4.75 lb. chickens, and I cooked one for 1.25 hr, and the other temped 170+ in the thigh ten minutes later. Note for next time, if you use any salt at all in the seasoning after rubbing with a little olive oil, use VERY little. (I forgot this and had to wipe off most of the seasoning before putting on the grill.)

It might be easier to cook four chickens on my wsm, but this chicken was so good, I'll probably be cooking most of mine like this from now on. If I need to cook more than two, I'll be firing up both my OTG and my OTS.

Weber kettles are fantastic, and I need my butt kicked for waiting so long to try the beer butt chicken on one of the best little grills there is. None of my low-n-slow or over-the-coals grilled chicken has ever been this good!

Bye Bye Gasser

I picked up a little smokey joe for camping trips and ended up with the best ribeye steaks I've ever made! I can't completely get rid of the gasser because it is a Weber, but I definetly will make the charcoal primary

get some expanded metal to put on top of the charcoal grate and then use lump. changes the whole picture. its about all i use in my sj's now.

Nice Paul! Now you need a ring so you can put your Rib O Lator on it!

KH, you mean like this??

DSCF6140.jpg

Without the lid:

DSCF6134.jpg

This setup leaves the bottom rack for even more goodness. Oh and by the way pretty good use of the Auspit too??:heh::heh::becky:

Paul B
SS UDS

Throwin' my name in the hat - my '05 OTS is the finest cooker I know, and is the reason I'm hooked.

QUESTION!

Can I drill 1/8 inch holes in the kettle bottom without chiping the coating?

I drilled a couple of holes in my cheap kettle (before the weber) to mount a thermometer and other stuff, I put masking tape over the area and started the drill really slow before increasing the speed.
Turned out alright without chipping the coating, but I haven't tried this on the weber, I assume it would be the same but maybe wait until someone posts that has tried on the weber, just incase.

If you're going to try it, drill from the inside out - I'd rather blow the metal than the coating.

Has anyone had issues with Damaged OTGs during shipping? I have ordered 2 online and both had cracked and missing porcelain. It looks like the packaging is lacking seriously.

I drilled a couple of holes in my cheap kettle (before the weber) to mount a thermometer and other stuff, I put masking tape over the area and started the drill really slow before increasing the speed.
Turned out alright without chipping the coating, but I haven't tried this on the weber, I assume it would be the same but maybe wait until someone posts that has tried on the weber, just incase.

I drilled a hole in my Weber's lid for a thermometer with no chipping or anything. I just used an all purpose bit that said it was good for metal and started slow. I didnt use tape or anything, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Back