Wampus cooked a BLUDAWG brisket!

That looks amazing, Thanks for the tip on the sweetness on the brisket, I do not think I would like a sweet tasting brisket either. I am doing my first Brisket this next week while my brother is home, I need an impartial crash test dummy to see if I nail it or not.

I'm gonna try Butcher Paper brisket, but I don't want to buy a monster roll of paper - where can I get a SMALL quantity of butcher paper, just to try it out?

Can anyone in the Lou help me out with either a source or a loan?

Buy a whole roll. If you don't like using it while you BBQ user it to cover your prep area for bbq. It makes for really easy clean up.

Also makes for a great big table cover kids can color all over it.

What difference did you find by not injecting?

I'm curious about your opinion too??

I don't think a brisket, properly cooked, NEEDS any injection.
I do think that it widens the window of success in moisture and maybe flavor, but when a brisket "gives up" and breaks down properly, it has a wonderful flavor and is really juicy. If you overdo it a bit, I think the injection may assist in keeping it from drying out as bad, but maybe not even.

The SPOG brisket got a bit overdone. When I wrapped and put it back on the BGE, I added more charcoal and opened the vents up and forgot about them. 1/2 hr later and it was cruising at 425. When I checked it at 5:00, it was probe tender but the IT was about 212.

It wasn't quite as juicy as the KC's rubbed brisket. IF I'd injected, the injection MAY have kept it a little moister, but I'm not sure.

In the end, the au jus really saved it. I poured equal amounts (about 2.5 C each) au jus over each briske after slicing and the SPOG brisket soaked it up like a sponge. I think that properly used, au jus will/can help with moisture and flavor as much as injecting.

Still.....if it had my injectors working, I'd have injected them.
I do a simple injection at home. I just make up a beef broth with bullion, add SPOG to it to taste and inject that.

Wampus isn't answering any of our questions, he's just hitting the "Thanks" button. He must be in a semi-meat coma that doesn't quite knock him out, but doesn't let him type, either. God bless you, Kempis, I pray you come back to us soon. ;)

He woke up as I was posting....

Last edited:
I'm scratchin my head here and will HAVE to try this.

When my BGE dome temp is 300, the grate temp is 275. I cannot imagine doing a whole packer in 5 hours at 275.

I'm assuming you put the drip pans in dry in hopes to catch au ju. We usually put a drip pan in with about an inch of water for moisture.

I just need to man up and start cooking H&F. Never done it and need to start. Thanks for the pictorial.

I had the tips of the turkey fryer thermos just resting on the top of the brisket, so I know that the temp AT the briskets was 300. The BGE dome thermo was reading about 275. (Like I said....it's goofy)

Both briskets went on at noon, I did have to fight to get the UDS back up to. 300 for about 30-40 mins. It other than that, they both ran right at 300 for 4 hours, then wrapped and back on.

The SPOG did finish in higher heat, and when I did pull it off the BGE, I put the KC's brisket on the BGE to finish. By that time (5:00), the egg was down to 325.

If the heat wouldn't have krept up on me, they may have taken a total of 6 hrs to finish.

I thought the rest and cool would take longer than it did really.

Now you need to do 16 Briskets in the Fiery Furnace ( is it still around?)

Oh it's still around all right!
I was just thinking of buying a case or two of briskets and seeing what that liked like on that monster. Now I just have to figure out who's going to pay for and eat all of it!

They both look great. Glad they turned out so well. Are those pans out of my warmer? They work well for large meat prep. What's up with the BGE thermo? If it were still mine, I'd replace it if it were bonkers.

Nope those are MY PANS!
They do work great for trimming big meats though.

The BGE thermo started acting up this summer.
I discovered it one day when it was reading 300 and I had it full of chicken thighs. When I went to check the chicken and lifter the lid, they were SCORCHED. WAY hotter than 300.

I do need to order a new one for it. :blush:

Nope those are MY PANS!
They do work great for trimming big meats though.

The BGE thermo started acting up this summer.
I discovered it one day when it was reading 300 and I had it full of chicken thighs. When I went to check the chicken and lifter the lid, they were SCORCHED. WAY hotter than 300.

I do need to order a new one for it. :blush:

Where'd you get the pans? I need to find me a couple down here.
I hate to hear that about the thermo. Can you "reset" it (I can't think of the right word. Major pain mod)

Anyway, great looking cook and pron.

I'm gonna try Butcher Paper brisket, but I don't want to buy a monster roll of paper - where can I get a SMALL quantity of butcher paper, just to try it out?

Can anyone in the Lou help me out with either a source or a loan?

You can get it at RD in all kinds of sizes. If you have a butcher shop you frequent why not ask for enough to use for a brisket you purchase from them? It's worth a shot anyway. I don't normally wrap at all, but I think I'll give the BP a try next spring. It's getting to cold to spend any extra time then I have to outside now. I think after I do my turkey on Thursday, I won't use the Yoder the rest of the year. It will be back to the Chubby until the spring.

You can get it at RD in all kinds of sizes. If you have a butcher shop you frequent why not ask for enough to use for a brisket you purchase from them? It's worth a shot anyway. I don't normally wrap at all, but I think I'll give the BP a try next spring. It's getting to cold to spend any extra time then I have to outside now. I think after I do my turkey on Thursday, I won't use the Yoder the rest of the year. It will be back to the Chubby until the spring.

Yes, RD has a great selection.
I bought mine at Sam's. It's the 18" roll. Personally, I wish I'd have gotten a wider one at RD.

I'd like to try hot and fast, but I can't take a chance on my Thanksgiving brisket. I only cook briskets when we're getting together with people; I don’t experiment with $40 pieces of meat. This may change my mind.

That's a trip for sure up from your neck of the woods to RD. Luckily I work about 5 min from that one. I always get my briskey's there too. Same ones as well. Might have to try your approach as mine dosent seem to be working so well. Seeing as we are using the exact piece of meat. Looks awesome!

Back