THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should BBQ Sanctions Now Allow LP Gas for Teams (Pro and Backyard)

• Yes - Allow LP Gas in Sanctioned Team Compititions

Votes: 69 36.3%
  • No - Keep LP Gas out of Sanctioned Team Compititions

Votes: 121 63.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
8) Parboiling and/or deep-frying competition meat is not allowed.

Yes, I am familliar with that rule. The rule about "Placing it in liquid" though I am not. Of course, with the above rule, braising is not par-boiling, so it might be okay:)

dmp

Charcoal is wood. So you're adding wood to wood. It's BBQ. Pellets are wood. Gas is not wood!

Oh Contrare - Wood/Charcoal Burning is gas Burning made of carbon monoxide, hydrogen, and methane (explains farts after meat consumption :icon_sick).

Wood Gas is sanctioned, so LP Gas should be Sanctioned.

Wood gas

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Wood gasifier on a Ford truck converted into a tractor

Wood gas is a syngas also known as producer gas which is produced by thermal gasification of biomass or other carbon containing materials such as coal in a gasifier or wood gas generator or producer gas. It is the result of two high-temperature reactions (above 700 °C (1,292 °F)): an exothermic reaction where carbon burns to CO2 but is then reduced partially back to CO (endothermic); and an endothermic reaction where carbon reacts with steam, producing carbon monoxide (CO), molecular hydrogen (H2), and carbon dioxide (CO2).
In several gasifiers, the actual gasification process is preceded by pyrolysis, where the biomass or coal turns into char, releasing methane (CH4) and tar rich in polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH). Other gasifiers are fed with previously pyrolysed char. Wood gas is flammable because of the carbon monoxide, hydrogen, and methane content.

Ah yes. Saw a wood gassifier on tv once, can't remember the show. Used it to run a generator. Pretty cool, but that would be a LOOONNNGGG way to produce some BBQ. That would bring a crowd though!

I understand when people take issue with the true definition of barbecue and that gas doesn't exactly comply with that definition. But as far as ease of use, gurus and pellets might actually be easier to operate than a gas flame. So I don't see any advantage to it, just a process issue. I've judged contests where some teams have no idea how to use charcoal in the right way. Those entries are among the worst food I have ever eaten. Skill is skill, whether youre cooking on charcoal, gas, or steam. I vote yes.

Obviously this would take a long and hard discussion by KCBS, but would it not expand the sport of competition bbq to new heights? I agree with the person who said the same top teams would likely come out on top. Is the added exposure a good or bad thing?

Speaking of the crowds, the main thing that attracted me to go to BBQ comps in the first place (as a spectator) was walking around and checking out all the pits. Big, black, colorful, offset, horizontal and vertical chambers. Smelling the hickory smoke and BBQ aromas in the air. Ah yes.... I love that smell.

If I went to a comp and half the field were stainless Kenmore gassers I'd have to stop and think, WTF? There's nothing special here. I could see this at home.

If I went to a comp and half the field were stainless Kenmore gassers I'd have to stop and think, WTF? There's nothing special here. I could see this at home.

I think there's a big misconception among some, and your post above defines it to me: Allowing gas at competitions is not about allowing Kenmore and Sunbeam gas GRILLS to be used as cookers, though they could be, just as kettles are used by some. To me, the bigger point is that those with Gas burners installed in their Klose pits, and those with Ole Hickory pits and those with gas GOSMs, etc could all compete. It's still BBQ in that it's not grilling, Just a different way to provide heat. If some one who thinks gas in contests is okay means grills by that statement, please let me know, but I am only referring to gas pits.

Personally, I think it would open up competitions to more teams, but the winners would likely be the same people. As far as I'm concerned, a gas fired pit should be just as legal is a pit which uses electricity to manage fuel or air...but that's me.

dmp

i think there's a big misconception among some, and your post above defines it to me: Allowing gas at competitions is not about allowing kenmore and sunbeam gas grills to be used as cookers, though they could be, just as kettles are used by some. To me, the bigger point is that those with gas burners installed in their klose pits, and those with ole hickory pits and those with gas gosms, etc could all compete. It's still bbq in that it's not grilling, just a different way to provide heat. If some one who thinks gas in contests is okay means grills by that statement, please let me know, but i am only referring to gas pits.

Personally, i think it would open up competitions to more teams, but the winners would likely be the same people. As far as i'm concerned, a gas fired pit should be just as legal is a pit which uses electricity to manage fuel or air...but that's me.

Dmp

exactly my point

My definition of barbecue is a process of preparing food that requires smoke, low temperatures and long periods of time. Has nothing to do with the cooking fuel. If a gasser is not bbq because it burns logs with LP and gas, then FE is not real bbq because it lights man made pellets on a heating element.

when your right your right. people make decisions based on what type of smoker they own. id like to know the reason why half these people feel that a guru is fair but LP is not. the reason for being so objective is due to the fear of being beat by "fake BBQ"

Really? What about and Ole Hickory or Southern Pride with a gas-assist? You gonna tell me that all of the restaurants and caterers who use these aren't making BBQ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. IT IS NOT BBQ!

If KCBS wishes to include gas cookers in contest, I have no objection as long as the don't use the word BBQ in the description of the contest.

I tell you what Dallas. Let's leave that Geer and FE100 home and make everyone really equal. Let's cook on a hole in the ground with some metal thrown over it.

Come on Man:roll:

Back