Vote if you think Gas should be allowed in Sanctioned Contest Now

Should BBQ Sanctions Now Allow LP Gas for Teams (Pro and Backyard)

• Yes - Allow LP Gas in Sanctioned Team Compititions

Votes: 69 36.3%
  • No - Keep LP Gas out of Sanctioned Team Compititions

Votes: 121 63.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Next you'll be polling to see if transvestites should be allowed in the Miss USA/America contests!:-D

If it's gas, it's not barbecue!

Really? What about and Ole Hickory or Southern Pride with a gas-assist? You gonna tell me that all of the restaurants and caterers who use these aren't making BBQ?

You might as well. None of the sanctioning bodies have been willing to take a stand on any of the other watered down non traditional cookers so why should this be any different.

Really? What about and Ole Hickory or Southern Pride with a gas-assist? You gonna tell me that all of the restaurants and caterers who use these aren't making BBQ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. IT IS NOT BBQ!

If KCBS wishes to include gas cookers in contest, I have no objection as long as the don't use the word BBQ in the description of the contest.

My definition of barbecue is a process of preparing food that requires smoke, low temperatures and long periods of time. Has nothing to do with the cooking fuel. If a gasser is not bbq because it burns logs with LP and gas, then FE is not real bbq because it lights man made pellets on a heating element.

I prefer using charcoal to gas(backyard, don't compete yet), but if the judges choose the best looking, texture, and tasting food, I say why not. If someone can cook something that wins the competition, it had to be good right? If its the argument of what people call "TRUE BBQ", then there should be no pellet poopers, Guru/Stokers, fans or anything to assist at all.

You can call your brother your sister if you want. You can even dress him up, make a few surgical enhancements and you might fool a few people that he's a woman but it doesn't make it so no matter how many people think he's hot!:eek::icon_shy:icon_blush:

Same thing with BBQ. Anyone want to debate wheter Power Cooking is BBQ? That's a whole new thread!

If you cook on charcoal and add wood chunks and call it BBQ, then you can cook on gas and add wood chunks and call it BBQ. If you use charcoal but say no to gas, are you afraid of the competion? I use a stick burner and have not said no to a computerized gravity fed chacoal or pellet fed smokers to compete with for true BBQ.

No. Maintaining temperature with wood or charcoal is part of the skill. BTW, I'm not a huge fan of pellet poopers or those rigs with fans and RC.
I couldent agree more! Whats next turning in KFCs grilled chicken? Lets put the skill back in BBQ after all anyone can push a button!

Just remember you can't immerse the meat in "liquid" before it's cooked so no "liquid" in that crockpot to start.

I'm not familiar with this rule. Can you point to a reference? Is it stating that we cannot brine and marinate, that we cannot braise and poach, or both?

dmp

I wanted to stay out of this conversation, but it's getting a lot of traffic, and it's partially my fault. I made some comments about it in the other thread. To me, the first question is how do you define BBQ. I define BBQ as meat which has been cooked in dry heat (excluding oil poaching) so that it is tender and lean. Additionally smoke from either wood or charcoal (a wood derivitive) is used during the cooking process to impart a smokey flavour. Beyond that, there are many ways to produce BBQ: Stick burning, pellet burning, charcoal cooking, Minion cookers, gravity fed charcoal, digging holes in the ground, rotating on a spit over a fire, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. As long as it is tender and smokey, I'd call it Q.

I believe that stick burners take more skill than pellets, gravity fed charcoal, Minion charcoal, and gas, especially with draft control. This is because you have to know how much wood to get, the size to cut it, and be around to add it every so often. That said, many of the "easyQ" devices are allowed in comps, and yet those wo get cooking heat from electricity or gas are forbidden. Personally, I think that those should be allowed as it is no more cheating than pellets or draft control. If you don't think the product is as good, then those competitors will lose. End result, I would love to have gas pits (not grills) in competition as I think it is more of a real world competition at that point rather than sticking your head in the ground and competing in a vacuume. That said, I don't expect KCBS nor MBN to allow gas any time soon. I just think it would be the more honest approach. It's like telling pro baseball players they can't use metal bats because they would be too good. Another rule I dislike.

Flame away, but remember I'm not pushing it.

dmp

If you cook on charcoal and add wood chunks and call it BBQ, then you can cook on gas and add wood chunks and call it BBQ. If you use charcoal but say no to gas, are you afraid of the competion? I use a stick burner and have not said no to a computerized gravity fed chacoal or pellet fed smokers to compete with for true BBQ.

So do I! and neither have I. Charcoal is wood. So you're adding wood to wood. It's BBQ. Pellets are wood. Gas is not wood!

Back