***VOTE - BBQ Brethren "Wing" Throwdown - VOTE***

Who should win the BBQ Brethren "Wing" Throwdown?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chris, If I might add my .02

I think what is being said about not voting unless the whole cook is in the thread is. All entry posts should be in the initial thread so they are all in the same place.

Most entries are all in the throwdown thread but a few just post the photo they want as the money shot. If you want to see the whole cook you are forced to use the link to go over and see it.

I think all entries should be in one place and contain the whole nine yards. If the entrant wants the rest of the world to see their fabulous work then let them make another thread in Q Talk.

The way you have the voting thread with the one pic is just fine. If we want to take a closer look it is all right there.

Did I say all that correctly? :becky:

jasonjax:

I think this whole thing just makes me TRY harder. I don't enter a LOT of TD's....I just don't have time or sometimes the category doesn't interest me. BUT, I have gotten better at my photos since I started entering TD's too. I still see where they are lacking sometimes, but the thing is I SEE that now.

Here was one of my first TD entry photos:
IMG_0263.jpg

Bad lighting, big shadow, too close, etc.

Now, the entry photo for this TD I'm more proud of:
IMG_3171.jpg

I still think the lighting was off, but it's just a simpler, better photo.

Oh, sure....it's only gotten 3 votes (1 was mine) which puts me way down in the running, but it is what it is.

I just know that MY wings tasted better than everyone elses.....:laugh::boxing:

My point is that if I ever really DID win a TD, I think I'd faint. I'm just glad to be able to participate. The TD's just challenge me to think about not ONLY taste and appearance, but also plating, presentation, garnish, lighting, flash, etc. Most of these things I've never thought of.

THAT is what I like about them.

And bigabyte is right (IMO) that voting's all over the place. Depending on how much time I have, I'll either just go off of the entry photos, or if I do have time, I'll read the threads. AND....I do remember (I think) the guy who always used to put up beautiful photos of food. I believe this guy actually had professional photography equipment and all, NTTAWWT, but I think folks just got tired of seeing him take every TD and decided to vote for others. Voters are fickle.....including me.

Keep it up and keep entering!

And bigabyte is right (IMO) that voting's all over the place. Depending on how much time I have, I'll either just go off of the entry photos, or if I do have time, I'll read the threads. AND....I do remember (I think) the guy who always used to put up beautiful photos of food. I believe this guy actually had professional photography equipment and all, NTTAWWT, but I think folks just got tired of seeing him take every TD and decided to vote for others. Voters are fickle.....including me.

I think my photo is killing me on this TD. I just don't put that much effort into the photo, for some reason. I am a professional, and do have a chit load of equipment, but I generally use a $500 point and shoot and my kitchen table.

I need to do better photos of my entries, but I am not going to look at these throwdowns as a photography contest.

Oh well, maybe I'll get to join the zeros -- one week after winning a TD. :laugh:

CD

Oh well, maybe I'll get to join the zeros -- one week after winning a TD. :laugh:

You won't have been the first!

If it makes you feel better, it was a toss-up for me between yours and the Groundhog. I was actually shocked yours was still a zero. I hate to spoil a good zero, so I went with the Groundhog. Believe me, the Zeros would love to share those wings with you! :hungry:

I think my photo is killing me on this TD. I just don't put that much effort into the photo, for some reason. I am a professional, and do have a chit load of equipment, but I generally use a $500 point and shoot and my kitchen table.

I need to do better photos of my entries, but I am not going to look at these throwdowns as a photography contest.

CD

I typically take my TD pics with my iPhone, I hardly ever take too much time with set up

I was actually shocked yours was still a zero.

That is a fact, I think they look very good.....And I'm pretty particular about what I think a good wing looks like :wink:

CD

I take my photos with a $100 point and shoot and take them as quickly as possible so no one can see what I'm doing and call me weird. It would make me sad if TD devolved into who as the most expensive camera and best lighting setup.

I actually think angle and perspective is one of the biggest factors in separating the good from great photos. I'm an engineer and my brain just wants to shoot the photo straight on from overhead or square in front of the plate and capture the whole plate with some white space around it. But, I always am amazed by the photos taken at a low angle close up and only showing a portion of the food.

Anyways, my brain hurts thinking about all the ways to improve TDs or my entries. Nothing will ever be perfect for every situation or person. I just do what is the easiest and enjoy the fun.

CD

I take my photos with a $100 point and shoot and take them as quickly as possible so no one can see what I'm doing and call me weird. :-D (truth) It would make me sad if TD devolved into who as the most expensive camera and best lighting setup.

I actually think angle and perspective is one of the biggest factors in separating the good from great photos. I'm an engineer and my brain just wants to shoot the photo straight on from overhead or square in front of the plate and capture the whole plate with some white space around it. I'm getting a little better. But, I always am amazed by the photos taken at a low angle close up and only showing a portion of the food.

Anyways, my brain hurts thinking about all the ways to improve TDs or my entries. Nothing will ever be perfect for every situation or person. I just do what is the easiest and enjoy the fun.

No doubt the pic has to make the food look appetizing, but you cannot polish a turd :heh: I personally would never vote for an entry purely based on the quality of the pic, but it certainly does factor in. I mean after all, you do have to make the food look presentable. When voting, I try to combine the pic with the process/ingredients it took to prepare. If one of the main ingredients/spices is something I don't care for, it will not get my vote no matter how fantastic the pic looks.

No doubt the pic has to make the food look appetizing, but you cannot polish a turd :heh: I personally would never vote for an entry purely based on the quality of the pic, but it certainly does factor in. I mean after all, you do have to make the food look presentable. When voting, I try to combine the pic with the process/ingredients it took to prepare. If one of the main ingredients/spices is something I don't care for, it will not get my vote no matter how fantastic the pic looks.

Yep. The photography is only one factor in my vote. I'll go back and review each entry posted to see how the cook went, and even go into the original Q-Talk thread if one was linked. I've managed to win three TDs with my 90 dollar Kodak point and shoot, and, um, four zeros too.:becky:

I'm a little like Jim. I'll read the TD threads, but I don't really like going to the Q-talk links. It's just so much extra work clicking on that link, then another window popping up, and then closing it afterward. I could be over in Woodpile posting in the person above me should be banned thread by the time I do all that.

I'm a little like Jim. I'll read the TD threads, but I don't really like going to the Q-talk links. It's just so much extra work clicking on that link, then another window popping up, and then closing it afterward. I could be over in Woodpile posting in the person above me should be banned thread by the time I do all that.

I agree completely. That is why I just have my assistant do the voting (College football coaches poll mod)

Well, the TD's winner will now be chosen based on algorithms created by nerds that have never cooked anything outside of a microwave. These algorithms will use a variety of information, most of which will be completely irrelevant to the TD or participants' submissions. It will also use the voting as part of the overall score. However, voting will be used to create two meaningless polls even before the TD starts based upon past submissions. So, if you are new or have not won recently, the chances of you making it to the top of the poll are very slim.

That is absurd. Ha! How foolish do you think the public is to even suggest such a outlandish idea. I am insulted that you would even bring up the notion that squirrels pull nuts out of hats. Everyone knows that squirrels pull rabbits out of hats. The nuts come from somewhere else.

Squirrel-Original.jpg

CD

CD... The chicken is great. I think the beer let you down!:thumb::wink:

Anyway, every time I win a TD, I'm hoping for a Zero... but I've been snafoo'd twice by brothers giving me a vote deliberately to miss out. Pretty hilarious really!

Cheers!
Bill

I take my photos with a $100 point and shoot and take them as quickly as possible so no one can see what I'm doing and call me weird. It would make me sad if TD devolved into who as the most expensive camera and best lighting setup.

I actually think angle and perspective is one of the biggest factors in separating the good from great photos. I'm an engineer and my brain just wants to shoot the photo straight on from overhead or square in front of the plate and capture the whole plate with some white space around it. But, I always am amazed by the photos taken at a low angle close up and only showing a portion of the food.

My big problem is that I shoot 90-percent cars. Food photography is a VERY different niche.

I also just don't put the time into my TD food shots. It's kind of like the shoemaker who has holes in his own shoes.

CD

Back