***VOTE - BBQ Brethren "Wing" Throwdown - VOTE***

Who should win the BBQ Brethren "Wing" Throwdown?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, maybe in the Optigrill, but I don't think I can get the temps high enough on the UBS. The batter coating should at least be warm. :laugh:

Well, I finally made up my mind. Not very easy at all. What a spread!

I think its a tie. Yes. A tie.

Will Work for BBQ... best colour wings, let down by a small photo we can't really see the the true detail and expertise on those WANGS...

Groundhog 66. 2nd Best Colour... Best photo though, so that detail and deliciousness is there for all to see..

So. How to split them???

Winner: Will work for BBQ!
Reason: BEER!:becky:

Cheers!

Bill

After viewing the entries a couple of times, looks like I need to get me some wings for lunch today!
Bravo to everyone!

Well, I finally made up my mind. Not very easy at all. What a spread!
I think its a tie. Yes. A tie.
Will Work for BBQ... best colour wings, let down by a small photo we can't really see the the true detail and expertise on those WANGS...
Groundhog 66. 2nd Best Colour... Best photo though, so that detail and deliciousness is there for all to see..
So. How to split them???
Winner: Will work for BBQ!
Reason: BEER!:becky:
Cheers!
Bill

Thanks, good thing I left that beer in the pic. :becky:
Of all the pic's I uploaded the vote pic got re-sized. :doh:
I blame it on the wangs they made my fingers sticky and now I have sticky keys. :heh:

Ok, I finally decided who to vote for, when the entries were coming in one image stuck with me, no not the Bentley and even though it isn't the vote pic it just stuck with me.
Great job everybody, I wish I could hit them all.

5999693463_f485cf0e71_b.jpg

Aww shucks. Thanks WW4BBQ.

I've learned a lot from my first Throwdown.

Unfortunately, I think the way the thing is setup makes me just want to "game the system" and only post my "money shot". I think posting the whole process is much more fulfilling for everyone, but I understand for simplicity sake the idea of only using one picture.

I enjoyed this regardless of the outcome and will definitely enter another Throwdown in the not so distant future.

Aww shucks. Thanks WW4BBQ.

I've learned a lot from my first Throwdown.

Unfortunately, I think the way the thing is setup makes me just want to "game the system" and only post my "money shot". I think posting the whole process is much more fulfilling for everyone, but I understand for simplicity sake the idea of only using one picture.

I enjoyed this regardless of the outcome and will definitely enter another Throwdown in the not so distant future.

Everyone typically posts multiple pics of their throwdown entries, but only one is chosen for the "Money Shot". I think you did a great job, and I wouldn't change a thing if I were you :thumb:

Different people vote different ways.

I have actually heard some folks post that if they just see the one picture with a link to a thread that has more description and other pics that they won't vote for that entry because they expect to see all that right up front. Some others don't click the link back and base their vote solely on what they see in the one photo in the vote thread.

So there really isn't any way to game the system I'm afraid. If there was, people would already be doing that.:thumb:

I have heard some say their primary decision factor is the one that looks or sounds the tastiest, others say it's based on the best picture, and others that it's based on the most creative dish, and others based on a combination of these factors and/or maybe other factors.

If you do figure out how to get the votes every time though, run with it and enjoy!:thumb:

Actually, that could come back and haunt you. We used to have a guy a couple years back that constantly posted the most amazing photos and could easily have won each week, not just because they were the best photo, but because the food was damn good too. He won so much though that after a while he seemed to just not get votes any more, sort of like the voters wanted to give others a shot at winning I think. I have no proof this is the case, but I do know that one of the greatest food photos I have ever seen in my life did not win one week, and it was entered by that person.:crazy:

I think the voters are far too varied, and each have their own opinions to a degree enough that in a contest like this, it's impossible to figure out the ideal strategy to win, aside from doing the best you can. I could be wrong though.

I ruined Smiter Q's zero. :p I'm not a wing type of guy, so maybe I should vote in this thread... or maybe I should start a wing unappreciative thread?? :p But, Smiter's wings looked like the type of wing I would want to eat if I were going to eat wings. :thumb:

BTW, when I vote, I try and re-read all the entry posts. I vote for the entry that I want to eat the most. My reasons for selecting an entry are all over the board. In this case, it was the one entry without sauce. Who would have figured? ... of course, I very rarely if ever have voted for the final winner. Maybe my vote is the kiss of death? :p

Different people vote different ways.

I have actually heard some folks post that if they just see the one picture with a link to a thread that has more description and other pics that they won't vote for that entry because they expect to see all that right up front. Some others don't click the link back and base their vote solely on what they see in the one photo in the vote thread........................

I think the only thing I was pondering was why not post the whole picture thread in the voting section versus just one pic.

Again, please don't take this as a complaint in any way shape or form, just a suggestion. We're doing this all for fun here anyhow so I'm definitely not insinuating anything, just tossing out an idea.

Like I said before I will be participating in another one of these regardless because it was fun and something different.

And also, a huge thanks to you, bigabyte for keeping up with all of this. I know I appreciate the effort you put into this lovely forum I find myself frequenting quite a bit now. :clap2:

P.S. After re-reading the voting thread I guess posting all the pics would be duplicate work with the links and prefacing of the entries. If someone WANTS to check out all the pics they will. I'll keep my suggestions/opinions to myself now. Haha. After all, you know what they say about those. We all got em and they all stink!

Well, I could be wrong, but I think if we had 15 entries one week, and I posted the entire text and all pics from each entry into the voting thread, it would be too long and confusing. Just my thoughts is all. I think a quick list of entrants, and a list of the photo for each entrant is good with a link to the post if someone wants to see the whole thing. That link is actually a newer thing. People used to go back through the vote thread to find the entries before someone asked about doing a link back.

I think the only thing I was pondering was why not post the whole picture thread in the voting section versus just one pic.

Again, please don't take this as a complaint in any way shape or form, just a suggestion. We're doing this all for fun here anyhow so I'm definitely not insinuating anything, just tossing out an idea.

Like I said before I will be participating in another one of these regardless because it was fun and something different.

And also, a huge thanks to you, bigabyte for keeping up with all of this. I know I appreciate the effort you put into this lovely forum I find myself frequenting quite a bit now. :clap2:

P.S. After re-reading the voting thread I guess posting all the pics would be duplicate work with the links and prefacing of the entries. If someone WANTS to check out all the pics they will. I'll keep my suggestions/opinions to myself now. Haha. After all, you know what they say about those. We all got em and they all stink!

I think that the current system is just right. You have the main shot, and you can click on the links to get the back story.

I generally click on every link before voting, unless the entry just doesn't appeal to me right off the bat. That's pretty rare.

A pretty picture doesn't get my vote. I like to read the ingredients and read about how it was cooked. I can get a pretty good idea from that how it is going to taste.

Bottom line: we don't get to taste any of these entries, so they could look great, and taste like chit, for all we know. Or, they can look like chit, and taste amazing. So, you can't take it too seriously.

CD

Absolutely agree that these cannot be taken too seriously. It is a contest, true, but the outcome depends on so many factors. There are some here who think the best entry wins. I'm in the camp that if the same vote was held the very next week, another entry is just as likely to win. I myself, and others too I am sure, have voted for entries just because there were cute kids in the pictures ... for some reason I haven't seen a puppy yet, but that gives me an idea (don't read that last line, please. Fark, too late :doh:). Other people have a definite hate-on for squirrels. That one person Chris mentioned once took such a beautiful picture of a raw prime rib that he got 1/3 of the votes in a throwdown, submitting only one picture, and that of an UNCOOKED roast! :crazy: There is no logical rationale behind the voting. Others have commented (more than once) that they voted for a particular entry because they liked the look of the raw, uncooked meat. So why do it? Being on this forum, I often found myself wishing to try other things, but going to the store, and for some reason, always coming home with either steak, ribs, or salmon. I told myself that if I played every TD, I would have to try other things. Definitely it has made me expand my abilities. I credit (or blame) Chris for doing this to me. Next to Woodpile, I consider these TDs as the best teaching tool on the net. The other reason to enter is that it is just plain fun.

Back