***VOTE - BBQ Brethren "Red, White and Blue" Throwdown - VOTE***

Who should be the winner of the BBQ Brethren "Red, White and Blue" Throwdown?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I went with will work for two reasons. First it was a great display of red, white, and BLUE. Second, I'm stealing the reduction sauce recipe :heh: :thumb:

Thanks, the reduction was real simple to make I used 1.5 cups port wine, 1 cup beef broth, 2 cups blueberries (1.5 maybe better), 1 shallot, and 1 table spoon sugar. Simmered for about 1 hr then I threw some thyme in at the end

I'm supposed to pick just one? And how exactly is that supposed to happen? :drama: Y'all are farking above and beyond with this one. Good thing I'm an ace procrastinator. See y'all here in a couple days....

I would want anyone of those plates!
Everyone of them FANTASTIC! :clap:
Had to go with Gore! He had the
plate I wanted to eat the most!
I have never tried Duck or seen it
for sale in the market and now Im
gonna have to try it out.
Did it taste as good as it looked Gore?

I would want anyone of those plates!
Everyone of them FANTASTIC! :clap:
Had to go with Gore! He had the
plate I wanted to eat the most!
I have never tried Duck or seen it
for sale in the market and now Im
gonna have to try it out.
Did it taste as good as it looked Gore?

Duck is awesome. Just don't treat it like chicken or turkey. Treat it more like a red meat. It doesn't have to be well done.

Having said that, my favorite way to eat duck is in a gumbo, but not the fat farm raised ducks. I used to go duck hunting, and a friend's mom would make a huge pot of duck gumbo.

Farmed duck needs to be treated more the way Gore treated it.

CD

Two things to note about duck:
1. If it is overcooked (past medium rare) it tastes like liver. I do not like liver, and I prefer it on the rare side of medium rare. Like CD says, duck is not like chicken or turkey.
2. There is a heck of a lot of fat. Most of the cooked duck you see still has a thick layer of fat under the skin. For me, a big bite of chewy duck fat spoils the experience. There are a few ways to render this fat. Frying it fat side down is a great way of taking care of this on a duck breast and producing a crispy outer layer. And please don't attempt this inside the house. You can see in the pan how much fat is rendered after about 10 minutes. If I did that in the house I'd be cleaning the kitchen for a week.
I've never seen duck served with a blue cheese sauce before and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, it was very good, Silverfinger, and very easy to make.

I have it on good authority that even if Gore gets the most votes, ecode still wins.:becky:

I don't know about that, but I do know that even if I somehow end up with the most votes, I'm still going to end up losing, so just look how delicious those three little sammies are, and homemade profiteroles to boot! :thumb:

Looks like ecode is firmly on top at this point.

I feel dirty for saying that. But then, they are married, so it's OK.

Maybe if they didn't post this stuff on the internet like that...:redface:

I'm a sucker for wings and beer. :tsk: I will say Gore and ecode have this throwdown thing down pat. This was a tough one! :clap2:

Think I've tortured myself over this one long enough. I've come to the conclusion that if I could just have some duck on those little pastry buns covered with some of that reduction sauce and some blueberry cobbler for dessert, it'd be perfect. But since I can't have that, I'll have to agree with silverfinger when he said that duck was the one he most wanted to eat. Ya got me again, Gore. :clap:

Smoked Pastry!
Then stuffed with meat! Nuff Sed!

I have to agree, before I knew what the rolls were I just knew I wanted them and once Gore said what they were in another post it was like getting shot in the taste buds (and stomach) by cupid with his silly arrow.

Think I've tortured myself over this one long enough. I've come to the conclusion that if I could just have some duck on those little pastry buns covered with some of that reduction sauce and some blueberry cobbler for dessert, it'd be perfect. But since I can't have that, I'll have to agree with silverfinger when he said that duck was the one he most wanted to eat. Ya got me again, Gore. :clap:

I bet that reduction would go really well with that duck and on those puff pasties and blueberry cobbler forget about it. :hungry:

I still have 17 hours left to make my move for a come-from-behind victory. :becky:

CD

Back